The End of Magic Lantern?

ajay

As you may know, Canon announced that a security flaw has been found with their cameras. Canon Watch states:

The video below shows how Check Point Research exploited the Canon EOS 80D using the cited security flaw. By building on existing knowledge of Magic Lantern, they were able to build a ransomware.

If the security flaw was built on existing knowledge of Magic Lantern, might Canon lock their firmware down preventing Magic Lantern from being loaded on future firmware releases? And...If you don't update your Canon camera, might it be vulnerable to ransomware?

Interesting quandry.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Magic Lantern has perhaps already reached a terminus of sorts. It's a wonderful utility that has allowed us to shoot RAW video on a budget, but we haven't seen a RAW module come to any Canon camera that was released after 2013. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

In essence, the modern DIGIC processors or sensors are much more complex and the brilliant team of developers at ML are only able to develop the software in their spare time.

No doubt Canon has already taken steps to make ML builds more difficult to port to their newer cameras. Filmmakers like Rubidium (Crimson Engine) still often use the 5Diii ML as their C200 B-cam and that's of course bad business for Canon, who'd rather that professionals settle for an EOS R or buy a second Cinema camera.

5 hours ago, plucas said:

Magic Lantern has perhaps already reached a terminus of sorts. It's a wonderful utility that has allowed us to shoot RAW video on a budget, but we haven't seen a RAW module come to any Canon camera that was released after 2013. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

In essence, the modern DIGIC processors or sensors are much more complex and the brilliant team of developers at ML are only able to develop the software in their spare time.

No doubt Canon has already taken steps to make ML builds more difficult to port to their newer cameras. Filmmakers like Rubidium (Crimson Engine) still often use the 5Diii ML as their C200 B-cam and that's of course bad business for Canon, who'd rather that professionals settle for an EOS R or buy a second Cinema camera.

The biggest problem is there are only a few active developers with not enough time. They already found ways to upload code to new camera's (M50, 80D, 5D4, etc) and are waiting for other developers to port existing code to them. I think the problem is there isn't that much demand as before because now we have the BMPCC and such.

2 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

The biggest problem is there are only a few active developers with not enough time. They already found ways to upload code to new camera's (M50, 80D, 5D4, etc) and are waiting for other developers to port existing code to them. I think the problem is there isn't that much demand as before because now we have the BMPCC and such.

I still would dump my pocket 4k for 5d iv raw.

42 minutes ago, Shell64 said:

Yes you can do 4K with ML. Yes the framing is impractical for any professional application. Yes they haven’t fixed this on the mark iii and probably never will. That camera doesn’t seem to get much development nowadays :(

Yep, agreed. I use the Zcam e2 now with a speed booster for similar practical results.