d5300 released

animan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

From Tech Radar..
http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/nikon-d5300-1190188/review?src=rss&attr=all

"However, it hasn't used the same sensor as is in the D5200 (which still continues in the company line-up), as the D5300 uses a new 24.2-milion pixel device without an optical low-pass filter. We're increasingly seeing a move towards sensors without low-pass or anti-aliasing filters because they offer the potential to capture more detail albeit at the risk of moiré patterning."

So that would mean better performance for stills but not so much for video?

• Administrators

Knowing Nikon it is probably 'new' because the AA filter counts as part of the sensor now on the spec sheet!

Removing it = new sensor.

However they do seem to have squeezed 1080/60p from it with the new Expeed 4 processor.

Looks like an interesting camera for sure as D5200's sensor did a very good job of video in 24p mode.

Andrew,

Is the Expeed 4 made by Toshiba? And does it scan the image the same way the D5200's Expeed 3FR sensor does which helps prevent moire and anti-alasing? Or will the D5300 have mire moire and aliasing since it lacks a low pass filter?

I recently bought a D5200 from the info on your site but will return exchange for the D5300 if there isn't more moire and aliasing as the wi-fi capabilities and 60P video sound great.

Thank you!

Badly shot video but looking promising, aliasing/moire definitely minimal, DR in the shots that arent blown out looks good, lowlight looks impressive, rolling shutter hard to tell but looks not bad.. 

I love Nikon colours!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGRSialVjY0

Andrew,

Is the Expeed 4 made by Toshiba? And does it scan the image the same way the D5200's Expeed 3FR sensor does which helps prevent moire and anti-alasing? Or will the D5300 have mire moire and aliasing since it lacks a low pass filter?

I recently bought a D5200 from the info on your site but will return exchange for the D5300 if there isn't more moire and aliasing as the wi-fi capabilities and 60P video sound great.

Thank you!

Just so you know. Expeed is NOT the sensor (which in D5200 was made by Toshiba). It is a processor that processes images and videos. Expeed 4 seems to be the main reason to why D5300 is powerful enough to process 1080p60 while older cameras with Expeed 3 are not capable of that. Expeed processors are manufactured by Fujitsu for Nikon. How they work in detail is not very well known outside Nikon/Fujitsu.

We won't know about the performance and if there's moiré and aliasing until someone does some proper tests. Hopefully it will perform just as good as D5200, but it's too early to tell.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest c2dd7b52878779b55f43cc8c269267c1

Has anyone decided if the 7100 is inferior to the 5200 for video due to its lack of OLPF? Is there any moire/aliasing in video mode on the 7100? I'm holding off on buying a D5200 because of the immanent 5300, which has no OLPF (+ prob same sensor as 52/7100) but has 60p, better low light and better battery than 5200. I assume fixed pattern noise will still be a problem with the 5300 ...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Videographers, be aware! Nikon sells defective sensor.

See those red blue dots?

Yeap, hot pixels.

No, that's not correct.

What you see here is typical video chroma noise. This is nothing new -- it especially exists on VHS tapes.

Digital photos has chroma noise too, as the sensor is pushed. I saw this on my D1 all the time, as anything past ISO 200 had noise like this. Try shooting a D1 at 800 ISO or more! That was terrible.

This is not "hot pixels".

Yes, this posts was a few months old. But I can't stand it when completely wrong video informatino like that is posted. (I'm actually looking closely at the 5300, and the 1080p 60fps looks to have almost no rolling shutter!)

Has anyone decided if the 7100 is inferior to the 5200 for video due to its lack of OLPF? Is there any moire/aliasing in video mode on the 7100? I'm holding off on buying a D5200 because of the immanent 5300, which has no OLPF (+ prob same sensor as 52/7100) but has 60p, better low light and better battery than 5200. I assume fixed pattern noise will still be a problem with the 5300 ...

Nope, the D7100 don´t have Moire and Aliasing. Image is Perfect.  ;)

No, that's not correct.

What you see here is typical video chroma noise. This is nothing new -- it especially exists on VHS tapes.

Digital photos has chroma noise too, as the sensor is pushed. I saw this on my D1 all the time, as anything past ISO 200 had noise like this. Try shooting a D1 at 800 ISO or more! That was terrible.

This is not "hot pixels".

Yes, this posts was a few months old. But I can't stand it when completely wrong video informatino like that is posted. (I'm actually looking closely at the 5300, and the 1080p 60fps looks to have almost no rolling shutter!)

Emmm, he is not wrong. Actually my D7100 has like 5 red hot pixels and Nikon already changed my body once, its a bummer :(

Emmm, he is not wrong. Actually my D7100 has like 5 red hot pixels and Nikon already changed my body once, its a bummer :(

Then you need to post an image of the "hot pixels". Because all that I saw in the Youtube video was typical increased chroma noise from increased ISO (ie, low light). Chroma is blue/red noise in a video. It happens in both analog and digital video, and is easily filtered out.

The only problem with digital video is the chroma noise generally comes attached to digital "grain" -- larger recorded pixel clusters that create splotchiness and loss of detail.

• 1 month later...

I can see the exact same problem I have with my D5200, there are stuck hot pixels , and I can see them on the youtube video  of anxs220 above, look closer in full HD and you'll see them, for example there is a red dot in the dolls nose, and one to the right, and many blue dots up in the dark areas. The problem occurs again until Iso 1250, and all of a sudden the red and blue dots disappear at iso 1600 and above. I was hoping that this problem would have been fixed in the new d5300 sensor , but it is still there, and it's frustrating if you're using the camera for video mostly. I'm sending my Nikon 5200 back to fix the problem , I hope there would be a solution. I still don't understand why all the hot pixels disappear at iso 1600 and above...

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue with my D5200 when shooting video, way less noticeable with photos because of the higher megapixels but they are there. I have most likely 30 red and blue dots / stuck pixels... It's two years old and I have used it a lot. You can take the lens off, put in live view then zoom all the way in with the zoom buttons and you will see them as you pan around the focus sqaure. from iso 100 to 1250, and as Kwstas Poulios the odd thing is that they all disapear when the iso is set  to 1600 and upward yes you get more noise but the stuck pixels just plain go away. Nikon said they do not know of the problem and said to send in my camera, at the most it will be 200 to put in a new sensor. But I have read folks who send in their cameras and then they say it's worse or it came back again after a while. I'm use mine for video mainly. If your shooting out in the sun you wont's really see them only when it is in a shadow or dark area. Not sure what to do at this point but why they disappear at iso 1600 is odd.  and the high iso noise reduction is set to off.

This photo is with the camera zoomed all the way in while in live view. The dots are visable when looking at a recorded video but much smaller, this is just to show the issue. I think as sensors get older perhaps the pixels start to fry...

IMG_8002.jpg