Surprise! New Sony RX10 sensor has 5K full pixel readout

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
sony-rx10

According to Imaging Resource the new video mode of the new Sony RX10 with 1" sensor is a huge step forwards. The RX10's sensor reads out the entire 5472 x 3080 frame at 60fps sending huge amounts of raw video data to the image processor.

The new Bionz X processor is designed to take the 5K video stream (for the first time). The advantage is that Bionz X can intelligently downsample and compress to 1080p from a much higher baseline than usual.

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/11337/surprise-new-sony-rx10-sensor-full-pixel-readout-5k-raw-video-output]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

At dpreview they also mentioned some of the enhancements to video such as clean HDMI output with the option of uncompressed 4:2:2.  I hope the next RX100 replacement will also have this new processor.  It would be amazing to have a camera with so many capabilities that could fit in your pocket.

http://***URL removed***/previews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx10/4

No IS ? 

At 200mm with such a small body video will look super shaky. 

With IS, it would have been a super deal for video .. :/

It does indeed have optical stabilization 

"

Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization Optical SteadyShot image stabilization works to minimize the appearance of camera shake when working in low-light conditions or with greater zoom magnifications. The system can counter the effects of both vertical and horizontal movements, and, furthermore, Active 3-Way stabilization adds digital rolling control that balances both clockwise and counter-clockwise movements while recording videos.

"

• Administrators

Sony recently took a stake in Olympus. It's a shame they've not used 5-axis sensor shift on the new cameras. Maybe the next versions.

5 axis works with any sensor size. I've tried it on a recent Olympus compact. Compact is shit but the stabilisation works great! :)

The camera itself does look quite tasty for indie documentary work.  XLR inputs are great.  Uncompressed video sounds great as well, however let's see how it's handled in terms of sensor processing.  

A7 video capabilities were quite disappointing.  But that was to be expected.  At 2K range Sony won't take a chance at cannibalizing their upper end market.  I maybe ignorant, but I don't see a lot of wisdom behind this kind of reasoning.  Professionals will never use DSLR type of camera as their main camera.  They would only buy it as a second body (B camera), crash camera, etc.  A7 would sell even more and there is no chance it would cannibalize pro market.  Consumers and prosumers for the most part usually don't have money to buy pro level cameras anyway, so they will stick with DSLR no matter what. Hence, if they want best DSLR video quality they are forced to look elsewhere (i.e. GH3).  So, here too Sony looses customers.  Small percentage of prosumers who have a chance at becoming pro will eventually purchase Pro level cameras, so where is cannibalization here?  

What the hell SONY? 

• Administrators

Andrew, do you know if the Nikon D5200 also does a full-sensor readout?  I've had one for many months now, and in all my shooting it seems to lack moire, aliasing, and false color entirely.

As far as I'm aware the Toshiba sensor in the D5200 and the Canon CMOS in the 5D Mark III don't read out all the data, they do pixel binning. Better than line skipping and they do it well, but no match for the full pixel readout.

• Administrators

From http://***URL removed***/previews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx10/ -

The more powerful processor not only promises more detailed JPEGs, it also allows the camera to use every pixel to create its video, rather than having to sub-sample the sensor as most DSLRs do (the line-skipping method is a major source of moiré).

And Sony appears to have been thinking about more than just stills when it made this cameras - the RX10 offers one of the most extensive lists of features for videographers we've seen on any camera. This includes stepless aperture control, headphone and mic sockets, focus peaking, zebra exposure warning and uncompressed video output.

Andrew, I hope you're right!  But Sony is just a big business with long term money making strategy.  I have a suspicion all of their decisions are based on some complex algorithms that don't take human emotions and artistic notions in account :)  Blackmagic wanted to break through on the other hand and it made sense for them to offer everything they had up their sleeves.  But I do hope you're right!

"Why have Sony, with their huge 4K marketing push, not yet utilised their sensor to its full extent?"

Well, they sell a few video cameras that already do it. They may like to keep selling them a little longer.

I guess, they will start canibalizing that portion of their market only when really necessary.

probably next year.