Bizarro world mirror image of this forum

Damphousse

I was looking up some information on what Canon had in store for the future and I ran across this forum.  It's filled with photographers that are angry Canon is giving any love to the video world!  I couldn't believe how many people were upset.

Personally I think if you can't pick up any Canon or Nikon DSLR above their very basic entry models and take decent pictures the issue isn't with the camera.  Once 18 megapixels was hit I would have thought most people would be satisfied with the megapixel count in APS-C world.  Video is the part of the camera that needs a lot of work.  But I guess there a substantial number of people that disagree with me.

Anyway it was interesting hearing some of the other voices yelling at Canon.  Here is a taste...

I, for one, am a bit tired of my bodies being "video oriented". My 5DII, 7D and 60D have not shot a second of video. I guess I'll just have to hang on to them until the pendulum swings a bit in the other direction.

I likewise am fed totally up with video. I want a stills optomized camera. I don't care about video.

Add me to the list of people sick of paying all that extra cash for a function I don't want.

The more "video-oriented" Canon makes their cameras, the less likely i am going to buy them.

That was just a sample of page one.  So who should Canon listen to?  It's weird.  I have never seen such a divergent set of opinions about a product line.  And both worlds seem totally unaware the other exists.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thats pretty hilarious. I use a t2i as a b-cam when I photograph weddings, and I take about 50% of the ceremony shots with it, assuming theres plenty of light. I'd feel comfortable photographing a wedding with nothing but canon or Nikon crops if thats all I had. 

Definitely an interesting parallel, thanks for sharing

wow Damphousse, that is really something, the bizarro world analogy is accurately hilarious

tbh id wondered before if forums like that existed for complainy old fashioned "still photographers"...and i figured that they must ...and it turns out that they certainly do lol

playing devils advocate, i understand where theyre coming from~! theyre like 'who fucking cares about video' and in their defense canon slrs are marketed by canon as still cameras... with a video function

ironically canon is serving neither niche group, neither us nor them, by making the products theyre making! go figure! 

Personally I think if you can't pick up any Canon or Nikon DSLR above their very basic entry models and take decent pictures the issue isn't with the camera.  Once 18 megapixels was hit I would have thought most people would be satisfied with the megapixel count in APS-C world.

I agree that it's stupid for photographers to complain about the video features of a camera. But you're kinda behaving exactly the same right here. If you can't take decent movies with the current camera's, the issue isn't with the camera...

In fact, Canon is lagging behind in picture quality. It's not just about megapixels. How about dynamic range, noise, color? All as relevant for photography as it is for video. Everybody would benefit from a better sensor...

ironically canon is serving neither niche group, neither us nor them, by making the products theyre making! go figure! 

We are the niche group. The photographers aren't...

Funnily enough i was recommended to buy a Canon by a photographer who'd heard they were being used by filmmakers, but had never used it on his 5D2 & still hasn't!

I think sometimes we forget that they're stills cameras that can do video & not the other way round.

On the flip side, some photographers have used REDs to take pictures, so go figure!

• Administrators

That was just a sample of page one.  So who should Canon listen to?  It's weird.  I have never seen such a divergent set of opinions about a product line.  And both worlds seem totally unaware the other exists.

If Canon were smart they'd make two 7D Mark IIs. A video orientated one and a stills orientated one.

However I have a feeling they already did this and the 7D Mark II Video Version costs $15,000 and is called the Cinema EOS C300!

And stills guys think they have it bad on price sub $1000!?

If Canon were smart they'd make two 7D Mark IIs. A video orientated one and a stills orientated one.

However I have a feeling they already did this and the 7D Mark II Video Version costs $15,000 and is called the Cinema EOS C300!

And stills guys think they have it bad on price sub $1000!?

Given the news you've broken about Sony on this site there are about to be some Canon video loyalist that are going to defect or at least pick up another camera.  RX10 looks very interesting.  Sony threw in feature after feature with that thing.  No one can say video was an afterthought with them.  Nice job mentioning the clickless aperture switch.  That is crazy.

Thats pretty hilarious. I use a t2i as a b-cam when I photograph weddings, and I take about 50% of the ceremony shots with it, assuming theres plenty of light. I'd feel comfortable photographing a wedding with nothing but canon or Nikon crops if thats all I had. 

Definitely an interesting parallel, thanks for sharing

Glad you guys enjoyed it!  Years ago I used to whine about my Canon DSLR and lust after more and more megapixels.  Then I got the 600D and shut up.  Apparently there are some people that will keep whining until their DSLR shoots life like holograms.  Sure there is always going to be a feature or two you wish you had but I think the photo side of things has really matured.

I agree that it's stupid for photographers to complain about the video features of a camera. But you're kinda behaving exactly the same right here. If you can't take decent movies with the current camera's, the issue isn't with the camera...

I have to say I don't think given what is technologically possible today the video side of things is anywhere as mature as the stills side.  Canon and Nikon went crazy for almost a decade solely focusing on improving the stills DSLRs.  Video on large sensor consumer camers is relatively new and it is sharing the focus with stills DSLR funtions.  I just don't see an equivalent on the stills side for moire, aliasing, rolling shutter, compressed codec, etc.  Sony looks like it is address several of those issues in cameras that are approaching my price range.

Canon and Nikon went crazy for almost a decade solely focusing on improving the stills DSLRs.

Also agree that there is more room for improvement in video, but in the last 4 years, raw image quality on Canon dslr's (aps-c) hasn't improved at all. Photographers do have valid reasons to complain, just like we do.