Blackmagic Micro Cinema Super Guide and Why It Still Matters

crevice

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Darrrrrn! What a brave rig this is! @webrunner5 So you have a b4 or b2 mount adapter and a doubler or 1.4 extender between mount and lens or inside the lens? ENG pros don´t know any fear! So, how does the lens perform on general terms and on terms of the BMPCC, 4K ready? 🙂 cheers and thank you for lighting up my evening with such a cool setup!

4 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Darrrrrn! What a brave rig this is! @webrunner5 So you have a b4 or b2 mount adapter and a doubler or 1.4 extender between mount and lens or inside the lens? ENG pros don´t know any fear! So, how does the lens perform on general terms and on terms of the BMPCC, 4K ready? 🙂 cheers and thank you for lighting up my evening with such a cool setup!

That is a B4 adapter, and the lens has an internal 2x. That lens is not really 4K ready, but it can do 2K pretty easy. It ends up being close to a 500mm f1.7 lens, and with the Doubler in it ends up a 1000mm 4.0 Parafocal lens.

I bought the lens, B4 adapter, that battery pack on the rear and the cable on Ebay for 90 dollars 6 months ago.

You have to have a Really stable tripod and a good fluid head to get the best out of the lens. A B4 lens like it will cover m4/3 with a 2x doubler. It will cover the s16 senor at medium to long lengths without even using the doubler. That lens cost like $8000.00 40 years ago. They are super good quality.

They make normal a camera look like a toy. But they weigh a lot, but that is a good thing for stability on an ENG camera that weighs a lot also. The ENG rig I used the most weighed over 20 pounds. But you get used to it, and they were rock solid once you used them for a few weeks. Hardest thing was learning how to walk backwards fast, which you did more than forward it seemed. I covered a lot of courthouse cases. Really hectic stuff in the hallways. My rig cost close to $100,000.00 new, $20,000.00 tripod and fluid head, that was in 1980's money. 3 Tube 2/3" tape cameras, a whopping 480i was my first one. Never got to 1080p ENG wise, I bought a lot of Sony CCD ones later on my own. I had a company that shot TV commercials for about 5 years. My writer quit and so did I lol. It takes a very special talent to come up with new stuff to do.

As years go by, I seriously seem to love this camera even more. 
I've worked with plenty of cameras over the years, like many Gh5, A7iii, Bmpcc 6k, Ursa Mini, Eos R, etc and despite it's difficulties, at the end of the day, I always come back to it.

The quality of the images, and the ease of use - in terms of editing - in Prores 422 (as I prefer to use it), is just magical. 
Newer entries like GH6, make me curious, but I still believe the BMMCC can easily be an a cam for narrative work. And this topic makes me realize it even more.

• 2 months later...

Peepz, I wanna enjoy your footage!

@bjohn  I just reread this thread a little bit and found your post about the 35mm Zeiss. Gee, you gotta treat us with some tasty BMMCC Zeiss footage. I promise I will post a bit of my little shortfilm as well. Also, I gotta see your 2MP portraits!!!

@webrunner5 Don, I know you are a tripod lover and that for great benefit to lovely footage. So that should please us with some footage from you combo b4 vintage Fujinon and your BMPCC. Good thing you would only have to lugg it around once for putting it on the tripod and a second time putting it back into the bag.:)

@kye we need some BMMCC goodness from you. Beachlife cinema verité! That would be awesome.

Of course they are, meaty, juicy DNGs. @webrunner5 If only there was an elegant EVF solution for the BMMCC. I find everything looking cumbersome. For stuff with crew and studiowork one can rig this camera up beautifully but I have only used mine once in a setting like that. So the tiniest portkeys out there seems to have a powering issues by reading reviews on the web. So I am very bad at buying the few couple necessary assesoiries such as an EVF with rigging stuff and so on.

BMVA 5 inch still feels big for an unobstrusive handheld camera and pretty unbalanced for handheld action. FS700 looks more natural and okay with the ugly viewfinder loupe.

What´s up with your Ikan. Looked great on your rig. I read it is 480p only though. How did you power it? Is exteral powering possible? @mercer

3 hours ago, bjohn said:

Here's a still from one of my tests (during pandemic confinement) of the Zeiss ZF.2 Distagon 35/1.4 on BMMCC

It's funny: I shot and graded this a year ago and didn't really notice the green cast (I'm partially red-green colour blind), but it's much more obvious to me now because I had cataract operations on both eyes in the past year and I now effectively have the eyes of a 20-year-old. The effect of the cataracts on colour was really apparent to me after my first operation, on my left eye, because I still had a cataract in my right eye and could compare colours easily just by shutting one eye or the other. The difference was incredible. I now want to go back and re-grade everything I've ever done because the colours all look wrong to me now. 😉