Blackmagic Micro Cinema Super Guide and Why It Still Matters

crevice

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, DFason said:

Thanks to everyone that helped me out. Picked up a BMMCC from @crevice and really looking forward to using it! I’ll report back here with video. 

-Dave

Awesome! Congrats. Looking forward to some beautiful BMMCCMOJO!:) Interested in your rigging solution and findings about handling as well. I was obsessed with this camera for a while. Then I found one couple months ago with all bells and whistles, small rig cage, tophandle, hdmi and cable clamp, NPF battery adapter, 3D printed custom stuff, wooden side grip, Metabones Speedbooster, RAWLite oplf and ir cut filter. All for 900 USD. A great deal, which I let go. Still it seemed a lot of money for me back then. Still does, though it was a fantastic offer.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:03 AM, crevice said:

I might have an extra micro package for sale, as I have a couple laying around. The one I have for sale is a more premium kit though. It comes with the micro, smallrig cage, metabones speedbooster "T" version, rawlite OLPF (already installed) , NPF battery bridge, and sandisk SD cards that work with the micro (all tested). PM me if interested.

Still have another premium kit to make one of us happy? Not me, of course, I would not buy another camera this year. Just asking. 🙂

3 hours ago, DFason said:

I am also wanting to use a couple Minolta lens on this. Does anyone have experience with the following speed booster? 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1218400-REG/mitakon_zhongyi_mtkltm2mdm43_minolta_md_lens_to.html/reviews

I can use a standard adapter but would like the extra stop and view.

The only problem is that an MFT speedbooster (as differentiated from a speedbooster specifically for the BMD Super 16 cameras) is only going to help a little in terms of angle of view. The so-called crop factor for MFT is approximately 2, so a 28mm Minolta Rokkor effectively becomes a 56mm on an MFT camera, but the crop factor for the Super-16-size sensors in the BMMCC is 2.88 so that 28mm becomes an 80mm portrait lens. With the speedbooster I think it'll get you back toward the 50-ish territory but I'm not confident in my maths.

So the problem is that even with a speedbooster you won't be able to get a true wide-angle view if you use the Minoltas. Which ones do you have?

I have a set of three Minolta Rokkors and ended up just getting a dumb adapter and am using them as portrait and telephoto lenses on the BMMCC. The 100mm Rokkor becomes a nearly 300mm lens, which would be good for wildlife shots although you need an extremely solid tripod! I've been tempted to get either the Metabones MD-to-MFT speedbooster or the one you linked to, but after realizing that I still really wouldn't have a good wide-angle solution I decided not to bother.

I have a Metabones Nikon G to BMD Super-16 speedbooster that I use for a couple of other lenses (mainly the Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8 zoom, which is based on an Angéniux design), but it turns out you can't adapt Minolta MD to Nikon F/G mount without adding yet more glass in between and I assume image quality would suffer so I haven't tried it.

Wow, I feel really stupid for selling my BMMCC for a GH5. It's fine, but it just wasn't really doing it for me. I returned it, but now the used prices on the Micro and the original BMPCC on ebay seem to have gone up stupid high. The last BMMCC I had I got for $555 and it included an Olympus 17mm 1.8 that I sold, within minutes of listing on ebay, for like $250. I want my old camera back.

On 8/12/2020 at 3:05 AM, DFason said:

I am also wanting to use a couple Minolta lens on this. Does anyone have experience with the following speed booster? 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1218400-REG/mitakon_zhongyi_mtkltm2mdm43_minolta_md_lens_to.html/reviews

I can use a standard adapter but would like the extra stop and view. 

-Dave

weren't  the original metabones sb for the bmcc a 0.58.  Where as the others where a 0.64 or the 0.71. the 0.58 where cheaper for awhile but i cant find one on ebay at the moment.

Received the camera and already blown away with it. The rig I currently have will work much better with the hard hiking, fishing scenarios I will put it through. Being able to have this small rig and my Sony for stills takes a huge amount of weight off. 

I am going to convert my FD lens to EF mount so I can leave the Metabones that was included on there. I have really enjoyed what I have seen with the Leica R lens and may start saving my pennies for a small set. Converting them to EF mount as well. Even better news the Metabones works MUCH better with my Sigma 17-50 and the IS when needed. 

I picked up two of these memory cards. One works with RAW 3:1 60 but one only works up to 50. I bought them here. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YGYCR3V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Big thanks to everyone that helped. 

11 hours ago, DFason said:

I am going to convert my FD lens to EF mount so I can leave the Metabones that was included on there.

Be careful with this - the EF mount has more flange distance than the FD mount and converting can mean that the adapted lens doesn't fit on some speed boosters.

This was from the recent video by Media Division:

13 hours ago, kye said:

Be careful with this - the EF mount has more flange distance than the FD mount and converting can mean that the adapted lens doesn't fit on some speed boosters.

This was from the recent video by Media Division:

Thank you for sharing and the quality of that video is incredible. I feel very confident in swapping the mount. I used to do tiny work with screws, electrical, etc. I may just start with my 24 & 35. I just tried my generic booster for the FD - M43 mount and works as it should. My 35 is the same in the video for the dream set ( go figure ) and I personally like the tiny size of the 24 2.8 over the f2. 

I am blown away with the IQ of this camera. I hope to use it next week on a project I am just starting. 

Again thanks guys! 

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/18/2020 at 5:36 PM, BenEricson said:

This dude shot a feature length doc with the bmpcc and the bmmcc. I think it had a festival release in 2018, but now available online. The colors out of the original bmpcc and micro have a point like quality and texture. Really beautiful. 

Just going to bump this and mention you can watch this for free if you happen to be subscribed to HBO max. The bmpcc still delivering. Looked great streaming on my TV.

Sorry for the delay. The rig. 

Metabones BMMCC version, Shinobi, small rig wood grip, RADIOPROK HDMI , expansion box and button, small rig top grip and sony battery. I want to covert a couple of my FD lens to EF so I can use them at a better crop. 

The picture between my P4K and Micro work so well together. Some slight tweaks are needed but nothing hard. I personally like the Micro for closer shooting and the 4K for landscapes and distance shots. 

Sorry for the out of focus but here it is. 

BMMCC

Screen grab from the Micro on a native cutthroat from CO. 

rio_1.1.1

-Dave

57 minutes ago, DFason said:

Sorry for the delay. The rig. 

Metabones BMMCC version, Shinobi, small rig wood grip, RADIOPROK HDMI , expansion box and button, small rig top grip and sony battery. I want to covert a couple of my FD lens to EF so I can use them at a better crop.

Are you able to get usable handheld shots with the top handle alone, or do you generally use a tripod?

I've never used the Micro or the Micro Studio 4k camera. But in theory, if you used a Ninja V, could you rig up the Micro Studio 4k camera in this same setup, and get a 4k recording?

The only thing you can't do is record internally on the camera right?

That would be a pretty slick setup.

• 2 weeks later...