• Wronzoff
    • TrueIndigo
    • PannySVHS - Sama Kotka
    • Matias Mayolo
    • m.maksym - Better together
    • Anax276 - The Garden
    • Leslie - Apples

This poll is closed to new votes

Hi All, and well done to everyone who entered - a lot of fun was had from my part. Reading through the other comments, in comparison, my choice of camera was quite unadventurous as I used my Canon EOS M that I bought for £135 at the start of the year. It came with a 35mm F1.6 APS-C Television TV Lens/CCTV Lens For 16mm C Mount Camera and C Mount adaptor and 3 batteries. I felt like I cheated because I also used two other lenses for a few shots - whereas everyone else seemed to use one lens. As you can see in the picture below, I also used a Helios 44-2 58 mm f/2 Lens M42 Mount and also a Canon EOS EF-M f2 Pancake Lens (both borrowed from work - I work in a Photography department at a Univeristy). I also used a Zeadio mini tripod and cheap variable ND filter.  I shot the footage using the Prolost Flat picture profile. I think that's most of the info. Oh yeah, I did a bit of primary and secondary grading in Premiere but nothing that major.

1279210922_EOSHDCompKit.thumb.JPG.1ac8569080b926397509f9dfcf1026cf.JPG

1423027772_EOSMReceipt.thumb.jpg.e5e7c859153086a8a7e90614ee7178d7.jpg

So there you go. I guess I get to keep my camera - he he! Thanks to the peeps who voted for me!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, Nordee said:

I shot on a Panasonic GF5, picked up for about 50-60$ in a used store in Hong Kong

Wow - I looked at these on ebay and IIRC couldn't find anything within the price limit.  

I liked the look of your footage - soft but in an organic kind of way.

7 hours ago, aaa123jc said:

The moment I picked this camera up I fell in love with it. Even though it doesn't have the best ergonomics, I just want to shoot something with it immediately.  And the colors is great. The auto white balance is actually really accurate. I would say even better than the other Canon cameras I have used! 

While the 1080P is quite soft, in my opinion, it looks more vintage than cheap. That are plenty of details. I don't personally like overly sharp image anyway. 

I also liked your image because it was soft in an organic kind of way, and the colours were definitely very nice.  It's hard to tell from YT but it looks like this image would respond well to colour grading if you were so inclined too.

9 hours ago, Framed_By_Dan said:

Now I loved the image quality on this, for me it looked very filmic, granted its not terribly sharp but much sharper and better looking than I remember from EOS M footage. I guess that is down to a decently sharp lens which works wonders on the Canons. I was half thinking this was shot on a Sony of some kind but the skin tones and colours were just too good ;)  Had you said this was an EOS M from the start I wouldn't have believed you, there appears to be no aliasing and moire from what I can see, perhaps YouTube's compression is hiding some of that. Great job! 

Thank you!

It's crazy two of my favorites in terms of image quality are shot with a GH1. Now I really want to get one to try myself ?! The image looks so nice and smooth. 

@kyeThanks! 

The codec on the EOS M is better than I had expected. I only did some minor grading but the image responds really well. The only thing that I am not that happy with is dynamic range. Guess I am spoiled by shooting everything in log the past few years ?

4 hours ago, aaa123jc said:

The codec on the EOS M is better than I had expected. I only did some minor grading but the image responds really well. The only thing that I am not that happy with is dynamic range. Guess I am spoiled by shooting everything in log the past few years ?

Yeah, Canon isn't the best for DR unfortunately.  Of course, if you're in controlled conditions then you can just light differently, or even just use reflectors to fill in shadow areas etc. :) 

Hi, congrats to all the participants. The reveal is really entertaining.

My story: Based on recent improvement with Magic Lantern I purchased an EOS M to do some experiment a month ago, then the EOSHD challenge appeared (but with the Magic Lantern restriction ?).

The EOS M was $150, still $50 left for the lens.
The easy choice was a Canon FD, Minolta Rokkor, or the mighty soviet Helios or any vintage lens under $50. But I wanted to try something "different" to stay on the challenge track. A round trip to my treasure chest (my wife has a different name for that box) and I found something quite interesting, an enlarger lens : Beseler-HD 50mm 2.8 - I remember paying something around $30 max. but after checking the invoice and I actually payed $9 + $8 shipping - Then ordered an adapter in Russia - M42x1 to Canon EOS-M for $25.
After 2 weeks, I received a snail mail with some nice Russian stamps and the adapter inside the letter. Added a 17-31 helicoid for focusing infinity and voila an unusual bokeh. Cheers.

eosm.jpg

This thread is a true camera school, my hat to this initiative : ) The most curious is some of my favs here two were shot on GH1, other two on Canon M (I still hold 3x GH1 I refuse to give away and 4x Canon M units : -)

Ah and the G6 (proud owner of 4x G7 units) and GF5 as some other favs (I have 2x units and a couple of that 70-210mm as well), too funny to find out : D

@heart0less you were the only another fav one outside of that range, kudos to you ; -)

I'm writing a little late this cause everyone already revealed what camera they used. It was a very good surprise to know with which cameras the different videos were recorded!! The results were quite amazing! 

I had a little doubt about whether if my choice was within the rules or not. I shot it on a LG V30, yes, I shot it on a smartphone, which tecnicaly it's not a camera, but it can shoot video, I didn't used or paid any third party app, I used the stock camera. And the phone (which obviously comes with the lens) costs way less than $200.

It shoots 4K with an amazing stock camera app, with all manual controls and shoots in LG LOG. It has quite an amazing dynamic range (s-log2 dynamic range level, not kidding). It has some quirks, which I'm gonna talk about in a video. It has some weird color shifts in LG LOG that need to be corrected, it has a really low 48mbps bitrate in 4K, not good for lowlight. But still, it is a camera under $200.

The youtube compression didn't helped with the image quality so I've uploaded a 4K version of it. If someone is in the look for an affordable smartphone that shoots AMAZING video, I see this as the BEST ONE.

1 hour ago, Matias Mayolo said:

(...)

I shot it on a LG V30, yes, I shot it on a smartphone, which tecnicaly it's not a camera, but it can shoot video, I didn't used or paid any third party app, I used the stock camera. And the phone (which obviously comes with the lens) costs way less than $200.

It shoots 4K with an amazing stock camera app, with all manual controls and shoots in LG LOG. It has quite an amazing dynamic range (s-log2 dynamic range level, not kidding). It has some quirks, which I'm gonna talk about in a video. It has some weird color shifts in LG LOG that need to be corrected, it has a really low 48mbps bitrate in 4K, not good for lowlight. But still, it is a camera under $200.

The youtube compression didn't helped with the image quality so I've uploaded a 4K version of it. If someone is in the look for an affordable smartphone that shoots AMAZING video, I see this as the BEST ONE.

With 2cameraAPI you can have both log and up to 200Mbps. 48MP Samsung or Sony sensors based brought by Redmi is the best price ratio you'll find out there : -)

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

With 2cameraAPI you can have both log and up to 200Mbps. 48MP Samsung or Sony sensors based brought by Redmi is the best price ratio you'll find out there : -)

Can you really get LOG?? I haven't seen any phone that shoot log, or any footage, the only thing so far that I've seen to achieve LOG dynamic range is phones withe Filmic Pro and the log features. I've seen those 48mp sensors, those are amazing, I've seen a LOT of better phones for photography, WAY better. But on the photo side, video specs are quite impresive, shotting 40 60p, amazing stabilization, good lowlight capabilities, but none of those shoot really cinematic images, with cinematic I mean with a good dynamic range, good highlight detail, not over-sharpened. Can you show me some log footage shot on a phone with camera 2 api? when I said S-log2 like dynamic range I ment this:  

2019-07-04_13h09_33.thumb.jpg.cffd80d62133540b2b9b26af8ef22117.jpg

Left is the LG V30, and Right is the A6300 with the 18-105mm f4 OSS, shooting with S-log2. Both in 4k, LG allows to shoot log at iso 50, while the Sony A6300 has a minimum of iso 800. The iso difference means that actually at the lowes possible iso for log shooting the LG has cleaner shadows:

2019-07-04_13h18_12.thumb.jpg.a987dbc106b302de1438fbf7c00ca9e6.jpg

but the detail, for being JUST a phone, and a ~$170 one, is quite amazing:

2019-07-04_13h09_49.thumb.jpg.aef4714f2d5773f537b8f80f8083c61a.jpg2019-07-04_13h10_37.thumb.jpg.60de5e358ae8adb858e42ff721b43258.jpg

The lens used, the sony 18-105mm it's not the best one, and I should have stoped down to f5,6 to have a cleaner image, but looking at the shadow and highlights detail on the phone, I'm quite amazed.

Hallo friends,

now here are the photos of my camera. I already revealed my choice in this awesome thread: the semilegendary Lumix G6 and the Fujinon 12.5mm 14. C-mount lens. Beautiful lens and awesome to hold with the G6. It does not quiet cover the whole sensor in 16 to 9, of course. I also used the 2x digizoom to really feel free from worries and creative limits. I think this setup is perfect for cinema verité pieces. Also, it was so enjoyable to realize camera movements without in body or lens stabilization, such a gratifying feeling. I think shooting 8bit 420 and with a rather slim codec was giving me some special kind of concentration during filming. A camera like the G6 or others put the focus on filming rather than to have to worry about battery life or 14 stops of DR. Handling is great and image feels very dear and unique to me.

In 2x digizoom it felt like the readout was much faster. I was able to pull off some very steady camera movements. A bit of stabilization in post and sastisfied. Camera movement felt much more immediate than doing it with IBIS or in lens stabilization. Filming was done alot with 7000K in Vivid picture profile with contrast with everyting to -2. Grading and edit in Davinici.

Like all of us I enjoyed filming and the results a very big deal and the write ups and crazy camera setups as well. Such a fun challenge and awesome two days of filming and editing! Let´s do it again, guys! Next challenge ahead with great anticipation and exitement!

Lumix G6 and beautiful Fujinon 12.5mm 1.4 C-Mount lens.JPG

On 8/24/2019 at 11:32 AM, PannySVHS said:

Hallo friends,

now here are the photos of my camera. I already revealed my choice in this awesome thread: the semilegendary Lumix G6 and the Fujinon 12.5mm 14. C-mount lens. Beautiful lens and awesome to hold with the G6. It does not quiet cover the whole sensor in 16 to 9, of course. I also used the 2x digizoom to really feel free from worries and creative limits. I think this setup is perfect for cinema verité pieces. Also, it was so enjoyable to realize camera movements without in body or lens stabilization, such a gratifying feeling. I think shooting 8bit 420 and with a rather slim codec was giving me some special kind of concentration during filming. A camera like the G6 or others put the focus on filming rather than to have to worry about battery life or 14 stops of DR. Handling is great and image feels very dear and unique to me.

In 2x digizoom it felt like the readout was much faster. I was able to pull off some very steady camera movements. A bit of stabilization in post and sastisfied. Camera movement felt much more immediate than doing it with IBIS or in lens stabilization. Filming was done alot with 7000K in Vivid picture profile with contrast with everyting to -2. Grading and edit in Davinici.

Like all of us I enjoyed filming and the results a very big deal and the write ups and crazy camera setups as well. Such a fun challenge and awesome two days of filming and editing! Let´s do it again, guys! Next challenge ahead with great anticipation and exitement!

Lumix G6 and beautiful Fujinon 12.5mm 1.4 C-Mount lens.JPG

The good old G6!  You did a great job dude. I don’t have the g6 but I do have the g7 which is actually pretty similar. Both are awesome cameras for money!  Also you really made a beautiful video there.