A look at the new video features of the new Sony A7, A7R and RX10

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
Sony A7 / A7R video mode

The full frame Sony A7 and A7R are disappointing for lacking 4K and a high bitrate codec (the time is now...), choosing to stay with 1080p and AVCHD from the last generation. However Sony have pushed on in other areas and are promising "pro-quality" video. Marketing speak or genuine breakthrough? Let's take a closer look...

[url=http://www.eoshd.com/content/11324/look-new-video-features-new-sony-a7-a7r-rx10]Read the full article here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

my credit card just got ruined...  sod the worry of avchd.  I was holding out on it being better, but tbh, i'll live with it in favour of the nice evf (i dont like modern af lenses), the e-mount, and the 36mpx images.  

I'd planned a 5d3 purchase since the ml progress but have lived with my beloved 3yr old nex5n and never really been worried about its shortcomings video wise.  The fact that i'd need new fast media for ml raw and to invest in more batteries for the canon rather than using my existing sandisk sd's and my six genuine sony nex batteries made the a7r a winner.

I have hopes that their new processing, clear effort to offer decent video functions such as manual audio, and monitoring will be partnered with some decent video performance, better than previous ff nex's and rx's and hopefully at least on a par with the nex5n I currently use.  if the hdmi feed is good, i'm happy to find a preowned extyernal recorder for times where 4;2;2 and 10bit are required.

"Sony are offering a battery grip style add-on which gives the camera professional XLR audio jacks. Like the one rumoured for the GH3 but never materialising. I haven’t seen any images of this grip in the press releases though, nor any specs."

I think they are just talking about the XLR-K1M adapter already available for the Sony dslrs ect...

Heres an RX10 promo video, I'd say take the images with a grain of salt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOx0KfbmZTY

This camera is interesting to me. Throw on the XLR pack and you've got a decent all in one portable camcorder replacement

Weather sealing and built in ND's too? Dang!

• Administrators

If they are doing on the new full frame sensors the same as on the RX10's new 1" sensor then video is going to be amazing.

The RX10 does a FULL READOUT producing 20MP 6K raw stream at 60fps.

The new Bionz X as featured in the A7 and A7R is powerful enough to then subsample that 6K down to 1080p before writing it to the card.

That means no moire or aliasing, no line skipping on the sensor, no great loss of dynamic range from a poorly subsampled sensor output.

If your credit card is not ruined by now it may well be when the RX10 sample videos start trickling out.

I truly do not understand why Sony choose to not include 4K and high bit rate in there , clearly their various product team do not communicate well. Now if their top of the line F55 and their more consumer end smartphone both offer 4K, You would think 4K would be right across the line for the top end ( respective niche of product ). At the very least they should have RAW high bit rate 4K off so one can choose to use external decode / coder and recorder.

That say, I do not exactly agree with the article regarding the UI, the Tri-Navi in fact is a very good UI , I've used it for good measure. Its just a different take on the control, and I feel its a good one. Speaking of that, so What would would Sony do with their NEX-7 replacement regarding the Video. It beckons

• Administrators

Nice find Julian. The RX10 looks very nice.

The A7R had a bit of false colour but nothing too bad. A massive improvement on previous Sony cameras.

Lots of compression on YouTube so looks softer I am sure, than the original clip. Anyone found original files to download?

The Camera Store recorded their whole review using the A7. Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnvgceTEV3c

and here are thoughts on video:

https://www.thecamerastore.com/blog/2013/10/15/sony-a7-a7r-hands-field-test

What I'd like to know is the difference in video quality between the A7r and A7. Does the AA filter make video on the A7 better? That said, I'll buy one or the other as long as video quality is better than my existing nex 7.

• Administrators

The AA filter won't make a difference to video. It barely makes a difference at 36MP never mind the 2MP of 1080p. Biggest marketing gimmick ever devised.

The difference in video between the A7 and A7R could still be significant because they use completely different sensors.

So look to the sensor as the differentiating factor.

The AA filter comes under the headline spec along with the sensor, they have bundled the meaningless AA filter spec in with the CMOS which is crazy. On my list of priorities the AA filter comes a distinct LAST! Look at the difference between the RX1 and RXR and you will see what I mean!

If they are doing on the new full frame sensors the same as on the RX10's new 1" sensor then video is going to be amazing.

Highly doubt it. Bigger the sensor (and pixels) harder it is to read data faster from the sensor. I don't know why that is, but maybe because bigger pixels have more data? Also there are more megapixels on full-frame cameras.

Thanks and do you have a link showing the difference between rx1 and rx1r? I preordered both the A7r and A7 which will be a smooth transition for me coming from the nex 7. I'm interested in getting the one that gives better video quality since I do short films along with photography in one compact mirrorless system.

The AA filter won't make a difference to video. It barely makes a difference at 36MP never mind the 2MP of 1080p. Biggest marketing gimmick ever devised.

The difference in video between the A7 and A7R could still be significant because they use completely different sensors.

So look to the sensor as the differentiating factor.

The AA filter comes under the headline spec along with the sensor, they have bundled the meaningless AA filter spec in with the CMOS which is crazy. On my list of priorities the AA filter comes a distinct LAST! Look at the difference between the RX1 and RXR and you will see what I mean!

• Administrators

Go DPReview and check out the studio test scenes RX1 vs RX1R.

Only at extreme 1:1 pixel level and really pixel peeping do you see the difference.

Between 24MP and 36MP CMOS sensor, a much bigger difference!!

Which one will be best for video is The Big Question.

Hard to decide this early but we will find out, hopefully before the hit the shelves. Once again Sony didn't get the camera into the hands of any filmmakers or video orientated bloggers!!

Hard to decide this early but we will find out, hopefully before the hit the shelves. Once again Sony didn't get the camera into the hands of any filmmakers or video orientated bloggers!!

Did you ask for the cameras? If you have contact with Sony UK and  if you tell them that you have a website, I am sure they would have provided it. 

The NEX-7 is probably the next big thing, it will be interesting to see all these video stuff going to the NEX-7. Can Sony use IBIS on a APS-C sensor? That's the only thing that would make me endure the lack of lenses. Actually I really wanted to see Panasonic's response and also Fuji - not really in video though, but Sony did make a big step here. Time to evertbody step up.

For me, the 1" sensor of the Rx10, and so its crop factor, make me prefer the A7. What has rx10 more than A7? 

But the question is how to fight THE problem: a "cheaper" and light FF-Mirrorless camera body from a way, and an expensive poor set of lenses right now aviable. Yes, you can use adaptors, so, what is the best choose? 

- A m43 lens? All the mft funs are watching this event and are a bit worried the other ones (as Panasonic-Olympus) will follow Sony with NEW mount. There the problem of crop images. In post you can edit and zoom in. But the quality? It's the same? 

- Vintage/Legacy lens. Is there a crop here, or not? The OM lens, for example, do they need an adaptor or don't? Other legacy lens? 

Thanks