faking the anamorphic look

leslie

probably an odd sort of question to be asking in a dedicated anamorphic forum. However i did search the forum and i didn't find anything relevant. My issue is that i find the letus 1.33 anamorphic for the gopro  a bit subdued. I was wondering if i could boost it with some additional input like a piece of fishing line hung vertically in front of the anamorphic as you see in the videos where they show you how to fake the anamorphic look. My other question is whether using coloured fishing line would influence the flare colour at all . Has anyone got any experience in this or do i continue forward with my own tests?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The mighty Tito wrote in one of his comments that he is preparing an 'Anamorfake Guide'.

So, I highly recommend just waiting a little, since there is no better person that could answer your questions.

But, if you only want to 'enhance' your flares, then putting an UV filter (or two) between your taking lens and anamorphic adapter really works wonders.

Fishing line is also a good idea, but its distinct shape is often visible in bokeh. Not a deal breaker, but for purists - meh.
Don't know anything about being able to influence flare color by painting over it.

I can cross being called "mighty" off my bucket list! Thanks @heart0less!

The guide will be awesome, I'm just adding in the final images this week.

As for the issue at hand, the fishing line indeed makes a cut through bokeh, but for a goPro it shouldn't be noticeable. The downside is that the gopro's lens is crazy wide and the fishing line technique doesn't usually play nice with wide angles. I can't think of much to do to make it flare more except working in post-production... :(

On 8/12/2019 at 5:44 PM, leslie said:

probably an odd sort of question to be asking in a dedicated anamorphic forum. However i did search the forum and i didn't find anything relevant. My issue is that i find the letus 1.33 anamorphic for the gopro  a bit subdued. I was wondering if i could boost it with some additional input like a piece of fishing line hung vertically in front of the anamorphic as you see in the videos where they show you how to fake the anamorphic look. My other question is whether using coloured fishing line would influence the flare colour at all . Has anyone got any experience in this or do i continue forward with my own tests?

I recall seeing a series of videos on modifying the Helios lenses to fake anamorphics with the oval aperture and fishing line tricks.  I think there was talk about colouring the fishing line too.  Maybe searching for Helios (or the other Russian lens brands?) plus fake anamorphic will yield results?

4 hours ago, kye said:

I recall seeing a series of videos on modifying the Helios lenses to fake anamorphics with the oval aperture and fishing line tricks.  I think there was talk about colouring the fishing line too.  Maybe searching for Helios (or the other Russian lens brands?) plus fake anamorphic will yield results?

That was me. :)