OMGggg im shooting a short on an iPhone XR™ *Somebody Call 911*

kaylee

OMG!!!

i am!!!!

its pure comedy, this film, candid and "smartphone video"-like, THAT BEING SAID,

how should i set up this iPhone XR™®© smartphone to shoot this? it has, like, a sicc ass camera right? has, 10-11 lenses id imagine? (lol jk guys)

what should i use as far as settings/apps/etc?

help mee out yalll about to start shooting as soon as TOMORRW OMGZz

iPhoneXR_overview_1._CB479651043_.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Someone call 911?  Why?  You can do it...  with your camera!!

Seriously though, get a good app like Filmic Pro or MoviePro which will give you manual controls, higher bitrates, focus peaking and all kinds of extra stuff.  Get a rig of some kind, even just a tripod, or mount it on a shoulder-rig - the worst thing is camera shake (unless it's deliberate and artistically appropriate).  If you're going with a 180 shutter then you will need to get an ND filter of some kind and the rig will need to hold that securely too.  I'd suggest using USB power banks so that you've always got enough battery life.  Get good sound the same way you would on any other camera.

Basically it's a fixed camera/lens but the same as any other camera/lens combo you might shoot with, so you'll want to do everything else the same.

...and make sure to put the phone on airplane mode before hitting record so you don't get a text/call and ruin a shot :) 

great points @kye, thank you. i will ask my DP what ~app~ he likes

just kinda wondering if theres some latest greatest trick for the LATEST iphone, u kno? but if its p much the same story it has been, ill be good ?

also: it has to be shot with smartphones. not my call!

ALSO (can i do this??):

>>> what software/plugins/filters/etc would u guys recommend if i want to roughen up the footage in post, to MAKE it look more amateurish, lower res, more video-y, but in a subtle way that isnt retro or ironic. the iphone RS has a piercingly sharp image out of the box, and i wanna take the edge off that, but not in a filmic way, the opposite. make it kinda lofi, but digital. kno what i mean?

YIKES!

this is mind bogglingly sharp

my eyes are bleeding. ugh. i want the final product to look more video-y. yuk.

hmmm

33 minutes ago, kaylee said:

>>> what software/plugins/filters/etc would u guys recommend if i want to roughen up the footage in post, to MAKE it look more amateurish, lower res, more video-y, but in a subtle way that isnt retro or ironic. the iphone RS has a piercingly sharp image out of the box, and i wanna take the edge off that, but not in a filmic way, the opposite. make it kinda lofi, but digital. kno what i mean?

Trying to get it to be digital but subtle may be a factor of just processing it subtly many times over.  Apply a LUT at 5%, then apply another one, then another one, and if you save each time then the files will be being compressed and re-compressed over and over again.  It will probably fall apart relatively quickly, but you can probably just put it over the top of a clean grade and adjust the opacity of the crunched one then that might allow you to dial in how much crunch you want?

It's probably a case of just trying stuff and seeing what happens.  Making higher quality digital look worse isn't hard, it's processing digital and NOT making it look worse that is the hard thing!!

1 hour ago, leslie said:

back in the days of film i remember that people used too stretch pantyhose across the lens to soften it. you could try different colours but i favoured black ?

putting something over the lens is a cool idea.

?

I once used my phone as a substitute for a video camera and I was quite surprised to see that the quality wasn't that bad. 

But it was unbelievably uncomfortable to use, hahaha. 

Just like kye said - definitely get some rig / a tripod and you'll be good to go. 

Recently, I also edited a quick short recorded on iPhone 7 and, once again, I was surprised at how robust the codec was. I managed to slightly alter white balance, raise shadows, lower highlights, add some tracking masks to faces and I still couldn't see anything falling apart. It was shot in 4K/30 fps. 

Nothing more to say other than: GOOD LUCK, YOU GOT THIS. 

PS: I just love the way you write, kaylee, hahaha. 

It's emotional, but still amazingly clear and easy to comprehend / read. 

So refreshing. 

awww thank u sm @heart0less. thats so sweet. i kinda wear my heart on my sleeve huh ?

re: this project, i must say: there is no reason for me to use a rig/tripod/anything like that: its SUPPOSED to look like it was filmed by a common person with a smartphone~! phone peasant! easy!

im just trynna get the most out of the image in post, but tbh, for this shoot it doesnt rlly matter ? i just like having options "in the darkroom", as it were

dynamic range is not funny. highlight rolloff isnt funny.

i mean THATS kinda funny but........... i digress lol

Just now, heart0less said:

Regarding how to make it look more amateurish:

If you use Resolve, then just browse through its OpenFX effects. They're not that cheesy, some are even amazing. 

I really like JPEG Damage (adds a lot of blotchiness, artifacts, etc) and Analog Damage (you can make anything look like VHS, a TV from 70s and so on). 

thats what im talkin abt!!! its in resolve – PERF!!!!!

oh wow thanks ill......... open resolve lolol ?

re: my previous point, heres a perfect example. coulda shot in on an iphone. u kno?

4 hours ago, kaylee said:

awww thank u sm @heart0less. thats so sweet. i kinda wear my heart on my sleeve huh ?

re: this project, i must say: there is no reason for me to use a rig/tripod/anything like that: its SUPPOSED to look like it was filmed by a common person with a smartphone~! phone peasant! easy!

im just trynna get the most out of the image in post, but tbh, for this shoot it doesnt rlly matter ? i just like having options "in the darkroom", as it were

dynamic range is not funny. highlight rolloff isnt funny.

i mean THATS kinda funny but........... i digress lol

If you're going for the hand-holding look then yeah, hand holding the phone is probably a good idea.  I'd suggest the camera person trying not to get too much camera shake in it though - if you cut together normal phone footage that the average person shot it would make most people vomit in a few minutes, so I'd suggest trying to tone it down a little.

If it doesn't look amateur / genuine enough then you can crunch it up in Resolve to compensate, but doing stabilisation to take away some movement has limits and looks processed, and not in a good way!

8 hours ago, kye said:

If you're going for the hand-holding look then yeah, hand holding the phone is probably a good idea.  I'd suggest the camera person trying not to get too much camera shake in it though - if you cut together normal phone footage that the average person shot it would make most people vomit in a few minutes, so I'd suggest trying to tone it down a little.

If it doesn't look amateur / genuine enough then you can crunch it up in Resolve to compensate, but doing stabilisation to take away some movement has limits and looks processed, and not in a good way!

absolutely!!! thats the plan:

the guy whos actually shooting this (im in it as an actor) is a v talented filmmaker... so HE gets what you just said @kye~! ofc the average person could shoot some pretty appalling footage that could be hard to cut together, even unusable, but my boy is gonna hook it up proper ???

im gonna start saying "proper" in the second half of 2019 – im bringing it back. and im gonna say "props".

props, kye~!

20 hours ago, kaylee said:

OMG!!!

i am!!!!

its pure comedy, this film, candid and "smartphone video"-like, THAT BEING SAID,

how should i set up this iPhone XR™®© smartphone to shoot this? it has, like, a sicc ass camera right? has, 10-11 lenses id imagine? (lol jk guys)

what should i use as far as settings/apps/etc?

help mee out yalll about to start shooting as soon as TOMORRW OMGZz

iPhoneXR_overview_1._CB479651043_.jpg

Do you need a swat team to come and rescue you?