Why 6k Resolution Is Not Overrated... And Might Be Too Little

DBounce

We took a trip to Best Buy yesterday to check out the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10 series. After playing with the phone... which looks next gen btw, we decided to have a look around. We eventually found ourselves in the TV department, where we were surprised to see they had an 8K television on display. It was a Samsung QLed 85" model. Even a couple of feet from the screen the image looked sharp. You can pull that off with a 4K screen at 65"... but at 85" the 8k resolution makes a noticable difference. 

Now to the punchline... the 8K models start at a reasonable price... only $15,999

6323713_sd.jpg

? just kidding ... they start at $2999. 

My conclusion: $hit just got real... 4K is dead... long live 8K.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

oh my

i still have a 1080 kuro tv but i've seen oled screens and they are pretty good, much better than awfull leds, i thing it's gonna be tempting soon, but not 8k as there are almost no programs in 4k so i can imagine how long we'll have to wait for 8k shows.

and also the need for ftth to get the program or download the massive files.

Buy that tv now and wait 5+ years for 8K content maybe even 10 years if you are in the USA; since our govt persists in allowing companies to drag ass on building out fiber networks (or outright not allowing local municipalities to do it themselves) which are essential if you want general 8K programming to the mass population.

45 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

You can always tell who lives in a bubble and who doesn't by threads like this. Most people I know don't even have room for an 85 inch TV. 

The vast majority of people will never own a television that can benefit from 8k. Hell, I don't know that most will ever own a TV that displays the benefits of 4K.

I remember when sports entertainment was a big driver for HD and eventually Full HD (I always laugh at those names) for people in my area to buy a new TV because there was a noticeable difference in quality from SD, especially SD cable. Now no one talks about it. Which I would assume FHD at 60p is good enough or that the difference between FHD and 4K is so little (for the typical screen size and view distance) its not a talking point.

Not to mention upscaling quality on the higher end TVs is so good it pretty much levels the playing field unless you have a enormous TV which for most people is 65 and up. I have a 42 inch.

48 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

You can always tell who lives in a bubble and who doesn't by threads like this. Most people I know don't even have room for an 85 inch TV. 

The vast majority of people will never own a television that can benefit from 8k. Hell, I don't know that most will ever own a TV that displays the benefits of 4K.

in 8k you don't need a lot of room to watch, just a wall big enough and i guess many have a wall that can fit 85"

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

In fact less and less people are owning TVs full stop. Obviously broadcast television is essentially dead, and all the content people want to watch is already on their phone. Why own a TV?

Which is why I can see 8k gaining in popularity, because the only people buying TVs now are enthusiasts and enthusiasts want (and are willing to pay for) the best.

I've always looked at 4K and thought it was too little...  lol.

Good to see 8K TVs in the wild, it makes sense since I just upgraded to a 4K TV for the first time!  and now we have a 4K TV (that's bigger than our previous one) we now hire movies in HD instead of SD.  I haven't done an export of one of my 4K films and played it on the new TV yet, so that will be interesting to see.

14 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I'm in the camp of some of us don't even own a TV.

We haven't had one for 3 years and for stuff like Netflix or movies, my 22" PC monitor screen, ipad mini or phone.

We also still play board games.

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

We haven't had one for 3 years and for stuff like Netflix or movies, my 22" PC monitor screen, ipad mini or phone.

What's the difference between a TV and a monitor?  When you connect the monitor to a computer, both of them have a screen, a computer that runs an operating system off an internal storage device, run apps, have external connections for USB storage devices and internet, and can display video streams from a range of local and online sources.  

I suppose you could argue that one is modular and the other has the computer built-in, but so does the iMac.  One has a keyboard and touchpad/mouse and the other has a remote control.  

I get it that one can run MS Word and the other probably can't, but in terms of how we consume our media, I see very little difference in reality.  If I connected my computer to a TV, would that make it a monitor?  I think once you stop watching free-to-air content, it's all just computers...

not much difference indeed excpet the size

i thnk we're all here movies lovers and watching a movie on a small screen is kinda weired to me

i like watching movies and shows on a large screen, the bigger the better so i wouldn't imagine watching all my movies on a small screen, it's a shame

I think the day where we have oleds in place of windows will be here before you know it. In some cases this will take the form of transparent oled screens, so your window will be smart. The resolution needed to drive an entire wall could easily exceed 8K. Imagine a room with any background you want. For those that think 8K is overrated you aren’t thinking ahead.

On 8/12/2019 at 1:48 AM, DBounce said:

? just kidding ... they start at $2999. 

My conclusion: $hit just got real... 4K is dead... long live 8K.

Good grief, sub $3K now, means it is barely many Christmases away at all until it ends up being sub $1K!!

4 hours ago, MrSMW said:

You just described myself!

18 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

May be its a bit too early... but I don't think anyone lives in a bubble...

DBounce is stating facts here (at least some of them). Look, I understand that there are people that live in over-developed cities and live in condos/apartments that are the same size as some people's closets. Then there are others that live in normal sized homes (in the suburbs) whatever the average is in your city (in mine its about 1500 to 2000 sq. ft.). I have a 60 inch TV, and it has a huge bezel around it that it can easily be said to be 65 to 70 inch with a very thin bezel.

I know 2 people in my fam that actually own 70 inch TVs, one that owns 75 inch TV.... and its all 4K at this point [except my own; I'm planning on going straight to 8K, within the next 5 years (give or take) - and if I live in a bubble, so be it].

Consumers are pretty stupid in respects of resolution, you can tout that you will never truly see the full extent of 4K or 8K; but consumers want more... the more the better right?

Look, from my perspective... Best Buy has it... And, Best Buy.... where I live... is a consumer store... You will never find an Arri Cam, Red Cam, Sony Cinema stuff, Canon Cinema stuff, Cinema lenses or anything major... be it video or audio.... just a bunch of consumer sh!t.... and if his Best Buy has an 85 inch 8K TV, that to me says that both Best Buy and the Manufacturer (in this case, Samsung) believe that the general public is ready for it - especially if its priced at sub $3K.