2019, exciting video gear and 4K60 for all

wolf33d

I’m a MFT fan but I can only see the GH6 being successful if it really pushes the envelope for what we expect in a hybrid mirrorless of its size, like the GH5 did for its time.

In my opinion it has to have:

A built in ND function of some kind, wether on sensor, or in place of mechanical shutter (with a global shutter to take its place).

First to offer 4K 120p in a hybrid mirrorless. At least 6K or better a 8K open gate mode.

RAW or a very beefy HEVC codec of some kind with 10bit in all shooting modes.

Next generation IBIS + EIS that offers benefits over the already excellent G9 and GH5.

At least 14 stops dynamic range with full VLog and some kind of extended HDR shooting mode.

Vastly improved AF wether PDAF or next gen DFD (the S1 is way better than I thought).

I think anything less and people will ignore it because of the maligned sensor size ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

I’m a MFT fan but I can only see the GH6 being successful if it really pushes the envelope for what we expect in a hybrid mirrorless of its size, like the GH5 did for its time.

In my opinion it has to have:

A built in ND function of some kind, wether on sensor, or in place of mechanical shutter (with a global shutter to take its place).

First to offer 4K 120p in a hybrid mirrorless. At least 6K or better a 8K open gate mode.

RAW or a very beefy HEVC codec of some kind with 10bit in all shooting modes.

Next generation IBIS + EIS that offers benefits over the already excellent G9 and GH5.

At least 14 stops dynamic range with full VLog and some kind of extended HDR shooting mode.

Vastly improved AF wether PDAF or next gen DFD (the S1 is way better than I thought).

I think anything less and people will ignore it because of the maligned sensor size ?

Completly agree. I'm anxiously waiting for next gen cameras from Panasonic and Sony, and frankly saying beeing a GH5 user I have more faith in Sony than in Panasonic. I would be glad to be proven wrong. Yes, Panasonic has way better ergonomics, IBIS, flip out screen, menus and video specs.. BUT Sony has substantially better sensor tech (if Panasonc doesnt roll out their infamous organic sensor with GH6), awesome cheap FF lenses like Tamron 28-75 and flawless AF. 

I would also add multi-aspect ratio sensor to that list of yours

8 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

Completly agree. I'm anxiously waiting for next gen cameras from Panasonic and Sony, and frankly saying beeing a GH5 user I have more faith in Sony than in Panasonic. I would be glad to be proven wrong. Yes, Panasonic has way better ergonomics, IBIS, flip out screen, menus and video specs.. BUT Sony has substantially better sensor tech (if Panasonc doesnt roll out their infamous organic sensor with GH6), awesome cheap FF lenses like Tamron 28-75 and flawless AF. 

I would also add multi-aspect ratio sensor to that list of yours

Sadly, I agree with Sony being more likely to deliver. They just have more runway and I’m sure their sensor company is pulling in lots of revenue. So many cameras from phones to the latest mirrorless use a Sony sensor. I’m really surprised Sony hasn’t improved their ergonomics by now.

Multi-aspect will be hard to impossible to pull off with IBIS since it needs literal wiggle room to move the sensor in the image circle. They could do it with a fixed sensor and advanced EIS but EIS on its own has some real disadvantages.

Hoping Panasonic can deliver. Meantime, I enjoy shooting with my Panny every chance I get. 

14 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I’m really surprised Sony hasn’t improved their ergonomics by now.

That is a mystery to me as well. Everyone is like WTF SONY YOUR MENUS LOOK PREHISTORIC and they still havent changed that. I just dont get it. Hire one propper interface engineer, buy a BMCC4k and copycat from it at least. Why are they so stubborn with that shit is beyond me. We just need one brave interviewer who catches sony official and asks him straigh in the face : "Why are you menus look like outdated turtle piss and you still havent fixed that? How hard is that Sony?" And than shove them BMCC4k straight in their face if they try to argue something pathetic in their defence. 

Same mystery is why they use small crappy dimmed screens, instead of bright AMOLED 5 inch ones on cameras. JVC get it, others dont.

14 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Multi-aspect will be hard to impossible to pull off with IBIS since it needs literal wiggle room to move the sensor in the image circle. They could do it with a fixed sensor and advanced EIS but EIS on its own has some real disadvantages.

I tend to disagree. Look at S1 - 4 times bigger sensor, almost the same level of IBIS. Sure they can implement it on a little bit bigger sensor than a usual m43.

20 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

That is a mystery to me as well. Everyone is like WTF SONY YOUR MENUS LOOK PREHISTORIC and they still havent changed that. I just dont get it. Hire one propper interface engineer, buy a BMCC4k and copycat from it at least. Why are they so stubborn with that shit is beyond me. We just need one brave interviewer who catches sony official and asks him straigh in the face : "Why are you menus look like outdated turtle piss and you still havent fixed that? How hard is that Sony?" And than shove them BMCC4k straight in their face if they try to argue something pathetic in their defence. 

Same mystery is why they use small crappy dimmed screens, instead of bright AMOLED 5 inch ones on cameras. JVC get it, others dont.

Sony has been like this for a long long time, they are all about backwards compatibility and streamlining workflows through different products. (Once you have used 1 you have sorta used them all) Its why new cams like the Z280 feel and perform like old cameras ala EX1. But yeah I would love a BM like UI on my Sony's. 

The peripherals on the JVC cams are fukn atrocious. LS300 is good cam but the EVF and LCD are laughable. 

10 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

Sony has been like this for a long long time, they are all about backwards compatibility and streamlining workflows through different products. (Once you have used 1 you have sorta used them all) Its why new cams like the Z280 feel and perform like old cameras ala EX1. But yeah I would love a BM like UI on my Sony's. 

The peripherals on the JVC cams are fukn atrocious. LS300 is good cam but the EVF and LCD are laughable. 

I was talking specifically about their new MFT8k cam and its screen, only that.

10 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Canon is definitely way ahead then, 4K60P on a Full frame camera in 2016.

And this thread always bring me laughter, 2 and half years later and the mystical A7SIII still no where to be seen.

Yes, way ahead at 6000 dollars and in a 1.5kg huge body that has even less heat constraint compared to a GH5 and small sensor. So this your comment is absolutely pointless.

As far as my prediction 2 years ago for the A7SIII well I guess it’s good I don’t run a rumor site  :) 

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

Yes, way ahead at 6000 dollars and in a 1.5kg huge body that has even less heat constraint compared to a GH5 and small sensor. So this your comment is absolutely pointless.

As far as my prediction 2 years ago for the A7SIII well I guess it’s good I don’t run a rumor site  :) 

Not to mention it wasn't full frame it was APSH iirc

10 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

I tend to disagree. Look at S1 - 4 times bigger sensor, almost the same level of IBIS. Sure they can implement it on a little bit bigger sensor than a usual m43.

The problem is Sony fvcked themselves over by using E Mount for their a7 series of cameras. 

Because E Mount was designed for smaller APS-C sensors, they can *just* manage to squeeze in a FF sensor behind it. But it leaves very wiggle (ha! Pun) room for them.

Thus IBIS is left effective with Sony cameras than with others which have more sensible sensor/mount pairings. 

On 8/13/2019 at 12:44 PM, Amazeballs said:

Well, people keep buying Sony cameras in spite of the deficiencies you mentioned, so Sony probably feel little need to change things. I had a Sony a6000 and it wasn't that difficult to use, despite the menu system being clunky while the LCD display lacked touch functionality and wasn't very big or bright. I learned to adapt, even though I frequently wished that the menus and user interfaces were as good and intuitive as the ones on Canon cameras.

Plus, their refusal to hire qualified UI/UX engineers to improve usability of Sony menu systems, their use of cheap displays (as opposed to using better, more efficient AMOLEDs) are probably just attempts to shave every penny they can off production costs to increase profits.

They're probably already well aware of Black Magic and their superior user interfaces, so shoving a BMCC4K in a Sony official's face isn't likely to do much.

3 hours ago, Django said:

SR2 only so take it with a grain of salt but this would really make sense for Sony to do as well as pave the way for A7S3: 

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr2-sony-e-mount-camcorder-rumor-fx9-with-6k-full-frame-sensor-and-dual-base-iso/

If true.. 2019 would really be the year of 6K cameras!

This is good cause it moves up the chains for the cameras below it (FS5 and A7s) I really hope they add A9/A6400 dpaf.