Red Komodo 6K RF mount

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
2 hours ago, Skip77 said:

Every cine camera company writes it's own code. This isn't a new thing.  You bought into it and pay for it. 

In what way does that have anything to do with my post?

EDIT: on second thought, don't answer. You probably didn't even read my post and most likely won't read your own.

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

This, I think, is the truth to the disruption of the industry. High prices usually mean high quality but that gap is narrowing quite quickly.

For me workflow is the most important thing. Quality wise I'm all set with most recent cameras. But RED is so far the only camera I've used with a Raw codec that was editable in FCPX. And it had a good quality to size ratio as well as flowing like butter in 4.5K raw on an ooold computer.

So if this new thing is their first truly affordable camera. Or it pushes for example a used Scarlett down to my level.. then I'm in.

5 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

In my mind it is because of RedCode. I would forgive any lies, look the other way from the mark-ups and I can even live with the stupid geeky names they use. All of it. For affordable RedCode in a body smaller than the R1MX I had.

You say you can forgive RED as a company if they give your RedCode in a cheaper body.  RedCode is not that different from CanonCode and SonyCode.  They all handle the code themselves and you've fallen for the RedCode marketing.  What about ArriCode?  

That fish took that bait hook line and sinker.  Let's charge 10K more and call it RedCode and then market to guys that will buy anything. 

• Super Members
6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Let's see if that's still the case in a month or two.

Fingers crossed.

8 hours ago, Skip77 said:

You say you can forgive RED as a company if they give your RedCode in a cheaper body.  RedCode is not that different from CanonCode and SonyCode.  They all handle the code themselves and you've fallen for the RedCode marketing.  What about ArriCode?  

That fish took that bait hook line and sinker.  Let's charge 10K more and call it RedCode and then market to guys that will buy anything. 

So you are saying that both Canon and Sony have affordable cameras on the market today that shoot Raw. And that the raw files are fluently editable in FCPX with access to the raw settings in a separate tab? 

If so, please, tell us all the names of those cameras and make a tutorial on where your secret buttons in FCPX is located. Because I'm sure many of us are dying to know :)

(And you can stop with the endless flame baiting. If you think I'm gonna get sucked in by someone that argues about the difference of "stutter and judder" then you are just naive. Life is to short.)

12 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Fingers crossed.

So you are saying that both Canon and Sony have affordable cameras on the market today that shoot Raw. And that the raw files are fluently editable in FCPX with access to the raw settings in a separate tab? 

If so, please, tell us all the names of those cameras and make a tutorial on where your secret buttons in FCPX is located. Because I'm sure many of us are dying to know :)

(And you can stop with the endless flame baiting. If you think I'm gonna get sucked in by someone that argues about the difference of "stutter and judder" then you are just naive. Life is to short.)

RED doesn't have affordable cameras on the market that shoot RAW either.   

Go follow this thread:

Magic Lantern unlocked RAW on Canon DSLR's 10 years ago.  So if MagicLantern Code could unlock RAW for Canon, then how mighty is that RedCode you keep talking about?

RedCode is RED's way of marketing their CODE to justify their HUGE price mark ups and the win over PEOPLE like you. RED and RedCode was just smoke and mirrors and wasn't proprietary code that should have every been patented.  

As the big bad You Tube influencer you didn't do your homework on this subject. 

• Super Members
33 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

RED doesn't have affordable cameras on the market that shoot RAW either.   

Thats exactly what I said, very lame troll attempt from you..

And you still don't read posts. Not mine nor your own. I just told you that you don't need to put in the flame baits and yet you try again.
Its starting to become rather sad.

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

And that the raw files are fluently editable in FCPX with access to the raw settings in a separate tab? 

I was going to ask you about this... I never knew there was a Raw Tab for Redcode in FCPX... AWESOME!

Can anyone use it if they have some sample footage, or do you need to own a Red camera to access it?

I wish I could convert my .mlv files to Redcode instead of .cdng. 

• Super Members
27 minutes ago, mercer said:

I was going to ask you about this... I never knew there was a Raw Tab for Redcode in FCPX... AWESOME!

Can anyone use it if they have some sample footage, or do you need to own a Red camera to access it?

I wish I could convert my .mlv files to Redcode instead of .cdng. 

Yes there is. I think I show it briefly in my video on the R1MX.
Yes its free and works as a plugin, no need for a camera, downloaded samples works just fine.

1 hour ago, Django said:

Mattias brings up a good point though, if RED code is indeed lighter on your NLE.. you might be saving big bucks on a computer system upgrade.

And it works in FCPX which is my preferred NLE ever since ditching Premiere some years ago.
Resolve is great and I use it a ton. But FCPX is just so smooth for the stuff I do. If FC got Braw support or that Z6 finally started spitting out PoresRaw then things would obviously change. But as of today, Redcode is by far the smoothest raw codec within my workflow.

This is why I hope for an affordable alternative from RED. A fully kittet Scarlet is sub €5000 and the old R1MX is less than €3000 (but huge).
If the Komodo helps push it down to €2000 I would be all over it, despite the lawsuits and what not.

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Yes there is. I think I show it briefly in my video on the R1MX.
Yes its free and works as a plugin, no need for a camera, downloaded samples works just fin

I don’t think I saw that video, I’ll have to watch it and find me some Redcode files to mess around with. Thanks. 

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, mercer said:

I don’t think I saw that video, I’ll have to watch it and find me some Redcode files to mess around with. Thanks. 

RED supplies sample files from several of their cameras. You made me curious since I haven't used the plug-in for a couple of years. So I'm downloading a Raven sample as we speak :)

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

This is why I hope for an affordable alternative from RED. A fully kittet Scarlet is sub €5000 and the old R1MX is less than €3000 (but huge).
If the Komodo helps push it down to €2000 I would be all over it, despite the lawsuits and what not.

Yes, this is interesting. It doesn’t matter to me if the Komodo is in my price range for the basic fact that it will lower the used prices on their older cameras. And basically every camera they ever made still produces a relevant image. 

But if the Komodo, is around $3000... my next camera could be a Red. I assume it will be closer to $6000, though. 

• Super Members
19 minutes ago, mercer said:

But if the Komodo, is around $3000... my next camera could be a Red. I assume it will be closer to $6000, though. 

Sad but probably true :)

BTW, I had to update the Plugin to get the Raven sample to work but after that it worked perfectly and the Raw settings are available.
(That Raven has some serious DR, too bad about the price. The Scarlet is definitely more within my comfort zone.)

REDScreen.thumb.jpeg.f41de1cf6fd41761b5e6eafd87f70147.jpeg

to me the main problem is not the price of the camera itself but the "poor" quality accesories that are sold for a ton of money and that you cannot work without because of  specifics connexions

red have the best dynamic range so far so they still are great cameras but it's like apple, i don't like it because i don't want to be unable to buy what i want in terms of accessories

In light of all the heat Red is taking lately they should do the following:

1. Make certain this camera is amazing. 

2. Sell it at little to no profit... or at a loss. VW did this with the Golf GTI after their reputation took a hit. They actually were selling them at a loss. 

Too much bad karma with Red right now. Personally, as a would be customer,  I find all of this quite offputting.