Red Komodo 6K RF mount

wolf33d

1 hour ago, Video Hummus said:

It would be tempting at that price (depending on specs of course) But it also means I’ll would probably also research what manufacture red uses for its accessories, buying them at 1/40th the cost and adapting them to the camera...you know to save multiple thousands of dollars on consumer electronics. 

Jarred's tweet, this is posted multiple times:

"It is not DSMC3

It is not a replacement for DSMC2

It is not 8k VV

It is not a Dragon or a Helium or a Gemini or a Monstro Sensor

It does not have an HDMI port

It does not use proprietary media

It is not a “module”

It is not under $5k, unless you own a Hydrogen.

It has no XLR ports

It does not have a fixed lens

It’s body does not weight more than 2 pounds.

It is not larger than 4 inches in any dimension."

When it says "it is not under $5K, unless you own a Hydrogen", then logic dictates that it going to be AT LEAST 5000$ plus something else, maybe a Hydrogen, maybe an Atomos, maybe only a monitor. I am not sure how the "3500$" came into conversation.

Also it says "It does not use proprietary media", which is self explained I guess.

This seems like a great camera but we have to learn more about it as it may seriously undermine a lot of Red's products, but it maybe not enough to convince people to spend 50% or 100% or even a bigger percentage of money, when P6K is already here and Z 6K is coming soon.

We will see. Maybe after all, Red just needs a good story, maybe this is their chance to bring something positive and maybe they have to lower the aforementioned price significantly to compete. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was joking of course. I won’t be buying any RED products. My guess is if it doesn’t have a “RED” sensor it will be off the shelf sensor with a RED price tag. They have to keep their margins nice and fat.

I’m surprised anybody would still buy RED after they’ve been exposed for basically fraud with misleading and outright lies from the CEO about it.

It also puts a point on the trust of “made in USA”  which the US govt should defend its image and fine/sue RED . Who would I buy anything made in the USA if it’s just cheap Chinese products with proprietary connectors and not a single unique feature, design, or eco system? I feel sorry for all those poor bastards that spent tens of thousands of dollars upgrading to the mini mag.

Jinni mag exposes Jannards bare ass and we can all see it hasn’t been wiped in awhile. 

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

When it says "it is not under $5K, unless you own a Hydrogen", then logic dictates that it going to be AT LEAST 5000$ plus something else, maybe a Hydrogen, maybe an Atomos, maybe only a monitor. I am not sure how the "3500$" came into conversation.

If the price is under $5K if you own a Hydrogen (i.e. you need a Hydrogen to make the whole package under $5K) then that implies the camera is $5K minus the price of the Hydrogen ($1295) hence it will be $3700 ?

However it may well be a special deal for Hydrogen owners to compensate them for being early adopters and that only they can buy it for $5K, in which case it could easily be $8-9K as a fresh purchase.

They have done this in the past obviously with things like EPIC X only being available at a certain price to RED ONE owners etc.

7 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

If the price is under $5K if you own a Hydrogen (i.e. you need a Hydrogen to make the whole package under $5K) then that implies the camera is $5K minus the price of the Hydrogen ($1295) hence it will be $3700 ?

However it may well be a special deal for Hydrogen owners to compensate them for being early adopters and that only they can buy it for $5K, in which case it could easily be $8-9K as a fresh purchase.

They have done this in the past obviously with things like EPIC X only being available at a certain price to RED ONE owners etc.

My maths betrayed me once more!

We certainly need more info in specs/sensor/pricing e.t.c

I go for a swim. 40C here..

• Super Members
53 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I’m surprised anybody would still buy RED after they’ve been exposed for basically fraud with misleading and outright lies from the CEO about it.

In my mind it is because of RedCode. I would forgive any lies, look the other way from the mark-ups and I can even live with the stupid geeky names they use. All of it. For affordable RedCode in a body smaller than the R1MX I had.

56 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

In my mind it is because of RedCode. I would forgive any lies, look the other way from the mark-ups and I can even live with the stupid geeky names they use. All of it. For affordable RedCode in a body smaller than the R1MX I had.

Exactly. Say what you will about the company and their pricing or whatever, but the sensors they use with their workflow and, most importantly, REDCODE, makes their image really, really shine. The Komodo is very exciting especially because of the battery and CFast choices and potential Atomos partnership. Automatically makes getting the whole system up and running a much more affordable endeavor.

If the Komodo can deliver in sensor size, frame rates, and ISO like Gemini, Red is going to have a pretty big hit on their hands. 

I am on Blackmagic playground nowadays anyway, no regrets ; ) RED is some distinct mark of their own though : )

What appeals to me in this new offer IMHO is to comprehend non-proprietary media this time as much as Blackmagic from day one to compare apples to apples. I don't think it is worthy to Blackmagic users in any way whatsoever. Blackmagic once, Aussies lover forever : -)

2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Every cine camera company writes it's own code. This isn't a new thing.  You bought into it and pay for it. 

Andrew, my friend, it can also be a bitch, though ; )

I'm sorry Jarred is not coming here to post and stop all this nonsensical hostility a bit everywhere outside reduser against this major player. What distinguishes them from some others like ARRI as for instance?

I love that guy, no matter the most recent controversies he has immersed more lately. I don't believe he had changed away from the friendly tone he has always treated the friends he has made worldwide either on his dvxuser days or later through his RED adventure : ) I truly like him and am glad and proud for his camera industry achievements (E : -)

The difference today with RED and the past is public sentiment has changed and turned against them. I've worked with many DP's that are jumping to Blackmagic because of the cost and practices that RED uses. RED is losing what used to be loyal costumers. 

RED is running on it's name and name only right now. 

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

I firmly disagree : ) When did they change? Where's the difference between them and some other major brands?

The RED mini mag card controversy is 100% greed driven.  And the mop up that RED does to save face is also an issue.  RED is nothing but smoke and mirrors right now.  

Major brand and major companies don't always go together. 

13 hours ago, Skip77 said:

Did you ever use the RED ONE yourself? And what cameras do you use now?

To be honest, I gained business but lost hobby, totally. We carry Alexas, Reds, Sony Venice just came in, waiting for Alexa Mini LF. Up to now it's mostly Alexa Minis on sets here in Europe. I've been managing a rental house for the past 10 years. Knowing this industry in and out. But shooting nothing myself ever since starting it... Almost... I spent the first few years being a DIT on set as I was quite surprised how clueless DOPs were about digital back then... I sort of had myself pondering over which way to go at some point - studying to become a DOP, etc. But all that time on set has actually brought me to understanding I had no intention to go into that. Since understanding this, I've slowly started claiming back my hobby - just one man crew, shooting something without the big ideas of "breaking through", making a feature, and similar. Sort of healthy disillusionment regarding my own abilities, likes, etc. With the capabilities of the current crop of small cameras, mirrorless and other, holding and shooting Z6 for instance puts a smile on my face every time. And I remember taking Red One with Lomo anamorphic to "shoot something"... I put it down after several minutes... It's a crew camera, like most of current high end cameras still are. But the quality gap is so small now... You really have to understand this.. The tools are no longer a hindrance (if they ever been), just invest in some cinematography knowledge and go for it :).