Red Komodo 6K RF mount

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
51 minutes ago, Zeng said:

... they were pioneers of cameras which could be compared to film. Yes there was Viper, Genesis, etc. Still, the digital takeover started with Red.

*cough* F900 *cough* Varicam *cough* Dalsa Origin *cough*

• Super Members

I think the appearance of the Pocket 6K has probably forced their hand to get images out of it being used for shooting a bit quicker than they wanted (the pic is from Steven Soderbergh) hence them having to use the Atomos.

The kudos of getting Soderbergh to tweet it was slightly undermined by him getting the name wrong and calling it the Kimono.

Could be worse, he could have called it the Komode. The last thing they need at the moment is the connotation of it being something they've been sat on for ages that turns out to have a load of shit inside.

2 hours ago, tupp said:
3 hours ago, Zeng said:

... they were pioneers of cameras which could be compared to film. Yes there was Viper, Genesis, etc. Still, the digital takeover started with Red.

*cough* F900 *cough* Varicam *cough* Dalsa Origin *cough*

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Which RAW codecs did these use?

The F900 was used to shoot a Star Wars movie in 1999.  It shot 422 HD, uncompressed (I think that the bit depth was 10).  It's successor the "f950", shot 444 uncompressed and was released in 2003-2004.

The original Varicam was released in 2001, and it could shoot 720p HD, with a variable frame rate from 4fps-60fps.  I don't recall, but I think it shot uncompressed 10-bit 422.

The Dalsa Origin shot 4k raw in 2003-- I don't think that there were raw "codecs" back then.

By the way, the Thompson viper shot 10-bit log, 444, uncompressed in 2002-2003.

The 4k raw Dalsa Origin existed years before the original Red prototype saw first light.  In addition, quite a few blockbuster features and high-end commercials were shot with f900s, f950s, Varicams and Vipers long before Red appeared.

So, the claim that "the digital [film] takeover started with Red" is a bit dubious.

On 8/10/2019 at 1:32 AM, wolf33d said:

Since the Red Komodo thread has been locked (why?!) and because the camera is now real, here we go. 

https://photorumors.com/2019/08/09/new-teaser-for-a-compact-red-komodo-camera/#more-112431

Small Body
6K sensor 
Cfast internal 
RF mount and variable ND filter with adapter 
Integrated mic and headphone jack 
4K SDI out
Price above 5K
Less than 2 pounds (similar as Pocket 6K)
4inch max in any dimension. For info that is the same dimension as the Pocket 6K in height, width but almost twice as small in length.

Let’s see..

Any idea when this will get a proper release date?  

6 hours ago, nathlas said:

Α cheap 6k camera at the size of an alexa mini with professional output.

What kind of batteries are those ?

Not sure if this was asked but "Who on here would buy the RED Komodo" if the price is right?  Say it's $6,500?"  Would you buy it? 

7 hours ago, Zeng said:

Let's give credit where credit is due. Had it not been for Red, we would be probably still shooting HD. Well, maybe exaggerated, but it would have taken a few more years, that's for sure. Their Red One was definitely disruptive. And gave start to many businesses, mine included. Have to admit it. Eventually I started a rental company thanks to being in the first thousand of adopters... Later it all went to Arri. Many wrong decisions on their part, imo. Anyway, I myself came full circle, and, business aside, went to get back the hobby - one man band shooting small cameras. Hence I'm reading this forum, and not reduser, etc. :). But they were pioneers of cameras which could be compared to film. Yes there was Viper, Genesis, etc. Still, the digital takeover started with Red.

I remember lot's of DP's buying the RED ONE and being the "rent the camera and the DP at the same time deal".  The problem was the market was flooded with REDS. Heck even Rosco P Coltrane from Dukes of Hazard bought a bunch of RED ONES that he rented out. 

Did you ever use the RED ONE yourself? And what cameras do you use now?

I guess it will be a hit and run depending the sensor. If its a full frame or S35 at 6k full sensor readout with proper DR it will sell like hotcakes. But they will piss off every other redowner who spent multiple times that amount on a red previously. (Remember the horrible crop on the red raven)

No way.

2 hours ago, Skip77 said:

Not sure if this was asked but "Who on here would buy the RED Komodo" if the price is right?  Say it's $6,500?"  Would you buy it? 

Did you ever use the RED ONE yourself? And what cameras do you use now?

I have used All RED cameras brom the beggining till now. Alexa mini ,Sony FS7, Canon C300II along with BM ursa mini pro and lately BMPCC4K.

Arri LF is the next tool I am waiting to use.

If Komodo costs under 3500$ maybe. But I really doubt about that.

Blackmagic is the new RED.

10 hours ago, tupp said:

So, the claim that "the digital [film] takeover started with Red" is a bit dubious.

It was going to happen anyway. But they disrupted the development pace of the major manufacturers, that's for sure. And I don't recall any Dalsas in the hands of wannabe filmmakers while Red has produced thousands in a short period of time... Cameras and filmmakers that is :).

5 hours ago, nathlas said:

Komodo costs under 3500$ maybe

It would be tempting at that price (depending on specs of course) But it also means I’ll would probably also research what manufacture red uses for its accessories, buying them at 1/40th the cost and adapting them to the camera...you know to save multiple thousands of dollars on consumer electronics. 

2 hours ago, Zeng said:

It was going to happen anyway. But they disrupted the development pace of the major manufacturers, that's for sure. And I don't recall any Dalsas in the hands of wannabe filmmakers while Red has produced thousands in a short period of time... Cameras and filmmakers that is :).

Does anyone know if Red has ever made a profit ? It's quite easy to disrupt a market if you have enough money, it's making the money back in that newly disrupted market that is the challenge. I can't see how Blackmagic are making much money either, there's a lot of development work in what they do with Resolve and RAW. 

Not that it really matters to us as film makers, I'm very happy for billionaires to have a hobby camera company! As long as they don't go bust, and unrepairable, when said billionaire gets bored. 

I know for a fact that the original Red EVF was designed and made in Scotland and that Speck Design in Palo Alto, California did lots of thermal work on the Red One too - it was on the very edge of thermal shut down most of the time till it gained a far bigger fan and a huge thermal mass in the mount. I wonder how big the Red internal design team really is. 

(I know what I wrote is only loosely related to what you wrote but it made me think )