Red Komodo 6K RF mount

wolf33d

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

License swap that lets Canon use compressed RAW in their new EOS-R without getting sued.

Probably ;)

That was my first thought! Canon is not the one to give something without taking something back. They are taking something back from Red for sure!

Choosing the RF was the most clever thing Red did recently. It also takes them one step ahead of the Z and BM.

Ofcourse double/triple the money also..but we will see. Seems like a good move from Red.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

License swap that lets Canon use compressed RAW in their new EOS-R without getting sued.

Probably ;)

2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

That was my first thought! Canon is not the one to give something without taking something back. They are taking something back from Red for sure!

Probably won’t be in anything under a C300 and $8K.

The license swap would be awesome. The RF Mount and L-Mount are the two most exciting mounts, and I love what Canon is doing with the RF Mount. Canon can make great glass, that's for sure. And they do make the best workhorse doc cams around (C100 and C300) if they would just lean into that a bit more. 

The C200's cinema raw lite is the nicest image I've seen that isn't created by Arri or Red (for all the haters on here, Red's image is indeed incredible). But the Canon CRM file sizes are huge compared to RedCode Raw and Black Magic Raw. For most work, the 8:1 and 12:1 raw compressions are the sweet spot for getting 95% of the raw quality and features and still having file sizes smaller than ProRes LT. 

Hopefully Canon can get by all of the Red patents and do more versions of their CRM (5:1, 8:1, 12:1) - and then we also get Red cameras with new mounts. Winners all around. 

2 hours ago, nathlas said:

He didn't targeted the chinese builder for the sensor but for complete build and support.

Especially Jannard is a camera pioneer for our age and I feel extremely thankfull to him and his dream.

New RED is Blackmagic after all but you cannnot erase the past and what they have achieved.

Come on, there is not too much depth in capitalists, profit is always the target.

If Jannard is Ghandi, then Grant Petty is God himself, of all universes and all planets, ever..

..but no, he has a plan to bring profit to his company, a better plan from Jannard I must say. How many people do you known with a Red product? How many with a BM one? Software? Hardware? The whole workflow!

Red is sueing the whole industry (like Apple does), BM gives braw for free (ofcourse not because they are good, but they have a masterplan), there is the controversy with the "specialized" media which aren't very special and so many things at red forums.

Also a comment I read in newsshooter, the first part is Jarred's instagram post for the latest Komodo teaser, the second part the Ed Andrews interpretation:

"Ed Andrews 6 hours ago

"During prep late last week with one of our favorite teams of course an impossible request comes in which had about a 4% probability of getting done in time. Low and behold... a few dedicated rockstars from the RED engineering team worked around the clock to get it done and they just got it done."

I read this as 'boss boasting about the amount of pressure they are putting on their staff.' They must be rattled by the BMPCC6k with all these 'teasers"

There are no Angels in this world.

Red is dead man walking.  It is  losing the independent movie makers, (these movie makers are using ARRI); and it is too expensive for the no-budget crowd... Besides, it like to sue people which is never a good sign.  A couple of people I know from my meetup group uses red... I'm not impress, and other than the cost of the cameras; the camera operators are also not impressed.  Dude, I hope Red dies in a fire.

1 hour ago, eleison said:

Red is dead man walking.  It is  losing the independent movie makers, (these movie makers are using ARRI); and it is too expensive for the no-budget crowd... Besides, it like to sue people which is never a good sign.  A couple of people I know from my meetup group uses red... I'm not impress, and other than the cost of the cameras; the camera operators are also not impressed.  Dude, I hope Red dies in a fire.

Let's give credit where credit is due. Had it not been for Red, we would be probably still shooting HD. Well, maybe exaggerated, but it would have taken a few more years, that's for sure. Their Red One was definitely disruptive. And gave start to many businesses, mine included. Have to admit it. Eventually I started a rental company thanks to being in the first thousand of adopters... Later it all went to Arri. Many wrong decisions on their part, imo. Anyway, I myself came full circle, and, business aside, went to get back the hobby - one man band shooting small cameras. Hence I'm reading this forum, and not reduser, etc. :). But they were pioneers of cameras which could be compared to film. Yes there was Viper, Genesis, etc. Still, the digital takeover started with Red.

3 minutes ago, Zeng said:

Let's give credit where credit is due. Had it not been for Red, we would be probably still shooting HD. Well, maybe exaggerated, but it would have taken a few more years, that's for sure. Their Red One was definitely disruptive. And gave start to many businesses, mine included. Have to admit it. Eventually I started a rental company thanks to being in the first thousand of adopters... Later it all went to Arri. Many wrong decisions on their part, imo. Anyway, I myself came full circle, and, business aside, went to get back the hobby - one man band shooting small cameras. Hence I'm reading this forum, and not reduser, etc. :). But they were pioneers of cameras which could be compared to film. Yes there was Viper, Genesis, etc. Still, the digital takeover started with Red.

Quote from TDK say it well "You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."