Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K

BTM_Pix

I am really hoping for a micro 4/3 version of the Pocket 6k as the Pocket 6k has about 25% more resolution at the same size sensor crop vs the Pocket 4k.  I would not need a Pocket 4k for M4/3 lens, I would just use the Pocket 6k M4/3. At some point, hopefully sooner rather than later, Blackmagic will offer this as I believe their is lots of demand for it and the engineering seems like it would be nearly trivial.1

Along with M4/3 mount, in camera scaling using the super scale algorithm from Resolve would allow me to crop based on the lens' image circle and output, 6k, 4k or 2k.  This would cover all of my lens and output file size requirements, basically making one camera to rule them all.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Tom Antos rocks, his bias is filmmaking, that honors us his viewers : ) He always tend to focus on the pros rather than cons which makes his comments pretty useful comparing to others : -)

Nah, go and have a look at the stuff he likes on Twitter and tell me what sort of pros and cons he focuses on there.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

And he didn't mention yet the Ian's 'toy' (LiDAR), go figure when it will happen! ; -)

Toy?

Harsh.

10 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Nah, go and have a look at the stuff he likes on Twitter and tell me what sort of pros and cons he focuses on there.

Toy?

Harsh.

An enthusiastic way to say I am all in, buddy, don't take me in a strict literal geographic meaning if so. I love toys! LOL Really, nothing against to play with them ;  ) If not, they become boring, hope not with yours for sure, I bet.

E : -)

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

What stuff?! Tell us!

Everyone's is a filmaker on youtube..these youtube celebrities wouldn't last a week on a real job. I just finished a 70 hours working week..

Well he liked one of my tweets so that immediately makes him have suspect judgement.

I'm not going to amplify what I'm referring to and to a large number of people the politics of someone will have no consequence when it comes to gear so I'll get back in my box.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Well he liked one of my tweets so that immediately makes him have suspect judgement.

I'm not going to amplify what I'm referring to and to a large number of people the politics of someone will have no consequence when it comes to gear so I'll get back in my box.

I have to admit that I am not familiar of the work of the man, but there is a tendency to exaggerate the abilities of  people on youtube, while dozens of thousands of professionals possess a lot more knowledge. It used to be "if there is on tv.." now it is "if there is on youtube.."

I do not use any social media so I wasn't aware, but I know now, I agree, and I apologize for bringing it in. I told you, it was a very hard working week, and the previous one was also, and the next one will be!

Some of the reasons I am going to invest on the P4K are your great ideas, constructions and software. You are making the Pocket cameras a lot more user friendly, which aren't very much.

I still can't find the 6K more appealing than the 4K though..!!

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I still can't find the 6K more appealing than the 4K though..!!

I have no interest in getting one but will likely be forced to as nothing to do with remote focus on the Pocket6K works as it does with the Pocket4K.

If BM don't resolve it then there will need to be two versions of everything, switchable to whatever camera you have. In addition, if they keep it as is, then it won't play nice combining remote and manual focus as it only drives to offsets of the current position rather than absolutes.

This is more or less how Panasonic's remote protocol works which makes it an absolute bastard to make a focus system for.

So, yeah, I will likely have to reluctantly get one to make everything work with it.

At which point they will no doubt fix it.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Did a shoot this week with the BMPCC 6k and the camera crashed on me multiple times. 

I'm having a problem where the camera is unresponsive for 10 seconds after the screen comes on... won't record a thing.

Lost shots due to that.

Maybe the SD card is too slow, but it is a UHS-II one with 150MB/s speeds

Maybe best to use CFast... But damn, with an image this good, it's a shame they did not put it in a better & more reliable camera body!

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I'm having a problem where the camera is unresponsive for 10 seconds after the screen comes on... won't record a thing.

Lost shots due to that.

Maybe best to use CFast... But damn, with an image this good, it's a shame they did not put it in a better & more reliable camera body!

I've had this with the Pocket 4K SD card this week funnily enough.

I had a LOT of small clips on there from testing and it took increasingly longer to read the card on bootup.

Cfast or SSD may be best.

I have had the camera since release and it has been very solid ... as was the P4K.

However I shoot mainly to T5 and use an Anton Bauer external battery. I found that the Sony

NPF batteries would not charge the internal battery whereas the AB does.

I also tend to shoot at 24P ... 5.9K and have a number of 20 minute shoots that have been perfect.

The 2Tb T5 gives me 200+ minutes of recording and my fastest SD ... 4 minutes. So it just fills the slot.

My Angelbird CFast handles the 5.9K without issue.

Dave I would try the external power adapter and see if the issue persists and then look at card options. If the 

power adapter is good ... may need to try an external ... NPF or dTap to see if that is successful. 

With these data rates the camera really shines with SSD ... 2Tb Samsung T5 is down to $350 ... 

It may just be a dodgy camera body ... BM is known for very quick support ... so you may start looking at

that while you work through the issue.

Blackmagic did say that boot time is lengthened by the number of files on a card.

I tend to dump everything daily and make a backup then reformat the card every time

I start the camera. I realize that is not possible for many who are out without a way to offload files.

Here is a thread on the BM Forum that discusses slow boot with a T5 ....

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96951

I could not find how to link one part of a thread so I copied this ....

kacofilms

Re: Official "Look what I shot!" Thread

Fri May 31, 2019 1:03 pm

Hey guys, 

as a long time Canon 5D raw (magiclantern) shooter I have decided to switch to Pocket 4K this year.

Couple of my observations:
1. It would be amazing if the developers could add a function that will red-cross the display when not recording (or any more visible information). The shutter button is quite soft and having a finger ready to shoot all the moments you cannot recreate (wedding is full of unexpected moments) I have ended up shooting my shoes couple of times (the camera has been shooting and when I hit record to start recording, it actually stopped).
2. When the SD/Cfast or SSD starts to fill, the camera boot up time slows significantly. No matter if I use interal cards or external SSD. The file system (mac vs exfat) also doesn't seem to make any difference. Any chance to have improvement here? Since the camera is power hungry you have to turn it off a lot.

And couple of opinions:
1. Internal mics are really good.
2. Battery time can be expected (wasn't much better when shooting raw with 5D). Altough boot up time is really bad with cards half full.
3. I find cdng to be easier to playback/color grade then braw (with a really fast hard drives). When playing back cDNG, there is almost no CPU/GPU activity. However if I playback braw Q5, it can be really choppy (my drive array is fast enough).

In the end I am really happy with the results. Thank you Blackmagic

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Lost shots due to that.

camera just came out. every camera that is brand new has flaws. future firmware will correct a few bugs i'm sure.

5 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

BM cams just aren't ready for prime time.

Blackmagic cameras are not perfect, but they put out a solid product. Their only real competitors are Kinefinity and Z-Cam and they put out much more "beta" products with hope of future firmware fixes. The first Z-Cam cameras were so bad, and even the Z-Cam E2 was not much better when it released. If you look at the original BMCC, it was not a perfect camera, but the first cams from Kinefinity and Z-Cam were terrible.

• Administrators

19.8ms rolling shutter is ok. Not quite as good as a GH5 but given it is 6K and a larger sensor, it's on par with Fuji and much better than a Sony A6500.

IMATest says dynamic range is 0.2 stops better vs Pocket 4K.

And the number is completely meaningless because the Pocket 4K is pink.

A reminder always to trust your eyes and not only the numbers.

4K-vs-6K-5-stops-under_2.6.1.jpg