Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I would still like to see a shot of a (static) scene filmed at 4K on the P4K (native glass, know to be tack sharp) compared to the +- the same shot of the same scene filmed at 6K on the P6K but DOWNSCALED to 4K. Probably the P6K will still have a slight advantage, but how much ? Certainly not as much as showing upscaled 400% zooms of the 4K footage ...

On another note, some youtube reviewer mentions that the color science is almost exactly the same between the two. Incidental viewers on this and the P4K thread see the P6K footage as having much better color science and filmic motion cadence. Weird to say the least & confirmation bias ?

Blackmagic themselves say p4k and p6k have the same color science. Probably rolling shutter should be better on the P4K (can anyone confirm the rolling shutter on the P6K), but the P6K could surprise us here ?

• Super Members
22 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

Its unfortunate he kind of spoils the surprise of which camera is which by showing the test setup as from the positions of the cameras, particularly the RED stuck out on the end, its not difficult to see which camera is which based on the shift in positions of the charts in the background.

Decent test though nonetheless though.

47 minutes ago, Yannick Willox said:

much better color science and filmic motion cadence. Weird to say the least & confirmation bias ?

Blackmagic themselves say p4k and p6k have the same color science. Probably rolling shutter should be better on the P4K (can anyone confirm the rolling shutter on the P6K), but the P6K could surprise us here ?

https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Blackmagic-Pocket-Cinema-6K---Mehr-Pixel--weniger-Cinema---Rolling-Shutter---Farben-und--Lowlight.html#Rolli

Already posted. 5 hours ago.

52 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its unfortunate he kind of spoils the surprise of which camera is which by showing the test setup as from the positions of the cameras, particularly the RED stuck out on the end, its not difficult to see which camera is which based on the shift in positions of the charts in the background.

Decent test though nonetheless though.

I am driving. What are the results?

1 hour ago, Yannick Willox said:

Tom Antos did a rolling shutter comparison, non scientific, and the P6K was a bit worse.

In that test above I liked camera C and camera A in the second test.

20 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I am driving. What are the results?

I haven’t watched it yet either but here’s my guess... the Alexa’s 2K looks better than the BM’s 6K and whatever the Red Raven shoots at.

Ok, I just watched the first couple minutes and became quickly bored when I saw that he wasn’t even using the same lens on each camera. 

2 hours ago, Yannick Willox said:

From what I can see on my P4K vs. P6K, there is a *very* slight difference in the colors. If you didn't have them side by side, I don't think you could see it. I can see the difference if I compare the BM LUTs on the same clip, back-to-back.

The P4K does have slightly better rolling shutter (16.2ms@4K vs. 19.8ms@6K), but the P6K is certainly not bad.

Finally after 10 days or so some proper awesome footage, looove the anamorphic mode! ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Pto5QImes

Quick question re anamorphic modes.. does anybody know why the windowed 3.7k mode on the 6K rather than a straight 6:5 crop from full (i think that would be around 4.1K)? Could it be a limitation of the sensor?

Also.. on the BMPCC4K Grant talked about a 4:3 mode, being the sensor not in a 4:3 aspect ratio like the GH5S i guess it's just gonna be a straight crop from full (so around 2.8K), does this make sense? ?

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Union Berlin are currently 3-0 down at home to RB Leipzig and Chelsea are leading 1-0 at home to Leicester City.

Greece vs Serbia 31-23.basketball.friendly. Antetonkoumpo NBA MVP for 2018-19! 

That's what I listen to the car!

Rolling shutter and color is almost the same. Do not think anyone would ever notice.

For anyone who might be curious what a Canon shooter would think of such a camera (and why BM might have gone EF mount) then check out Matti.

and his review....

TLDR - he loves it and is completely blown away with the footage.  He's bothered by the battery life and screen and usual stuff, but completely excuses it considering the cost.  He also mentioned that it's the first BM camera he'd recommend to other people.

11 hours ago, kye said:

TLDR - he loves it and is completely blown away with the footage.  He's bothered by the battery life and screen and usual stuff, but completely excuses it considering the cost.  He also mentioned that it's the first BM camera he'd recommend to other people.

I wonder how much time he has spent with the P4K. I would bet that it is not much. The image quality between the P6K and the P4K is very similar.

I am surprised at the number of people that won't even consider the P4K because of the M4/3 sensor and mount. I think that both the P4K and the P6K produce images that are equal to or better than cameras that are twice their price.

3 hours ago, drm said:

I wonder how much time he has spent with the P4K. I would bet that it is not much. The image quality between the P6K and the P4K is very similar.

I am surprised at the number of people that won't even consider the P4K because of the M4/3 sensor and mount. I think that both the P4K and the P6K produce images that are equal to or better than cameras that are twice their price.

I agree, and this is why I posted these videos...   

People on here seem to be perpetually confused:

• Canon has terrible everything, how are they still selling anything, they can't be selling anything, they're definitely not selling anything, they're doomed
  • The future of cinema is FF
  • P6K has EF mount, why on earth would they do that, it doesn't work for me and my preferences
  • That Canon shooter is now interested in P6K - why didn't they love the P4K with it's MFT mount and its tiny MFT sensor

Maybe the thing that is missing from the conversation is that Canon sells plenty of cameras, there are plenty of people with EF lens collections, and the EF mount was a good commercial decision to attract customers from a different segment of the market.

What's surprising to me that it's surprising to anyone else.