Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

so easy to gather a bad footage from a camera and compare it with another good one from another camera.

anybody can do shit with the best tools, i can find some terrible footage with an arri alexa i am pretty sure.

but anyway appart from poluting this thread i don't really see what' your point. anyway its a while since i don't really read you posts anymore

34 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

When shooting 4k or 1080p on the P6k, does it crop the sensor, or downscale from the whole sensor? 

I assume since they're ProRes only they downscale, but then what about 1080p120? Does that window the sensor?

If it does, what's the FOV compared to the P4k shooting 1080p120?

https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/08/09/blackmagic-design-releases-pocket-cinema-camera-6k-with-ef-mount/#disqus_thread

Can you find your answer on the tables of this article?

Thanks @Kisaha that does answer my question. 1080p120 is downscaled from the 2.8k crop, so will definitely have  wider FOV than the P4K.

Also interesting to note: according to the charts this camera will perform slightly better in PAL areas, as all 50p frame rates are down sampled from the full sensor, but 60p is down sampled from 5.7k. Granted, there's not much in it at all, but interesting that 50p will have more in the frame than anything 60p.

image.thumb.png.f34297a1a8d8562534b8d9e7c9014191.png

A more interesting test would have been to downscale the P6K footage to 4K, same size as the P4K. Blowing up looking for detail you won't need is not very interesting, nor fair.

One reason to buy the P6K would be - IF - you really need that extra resolution, and are willing to cope with the file sizes and processing power needed.

Also, there is a speedbooster in the equasion, producting some of the softness, and I would guess the loss of contrast ?

8 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Don't know why anyone would think the P6K captures vidoish footage. That's just crazy. It's a cinema camera for crying out loud.

I was just mocking you and your comments big guy.

5 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

This.

Oh my videoish comment was joke taken from Mattias.  I like all P6K footage because I can see past a LUT or badly graded footage.  People use the word videoish and cinematic when they don't know what they mean.

2 hours ago, Yannick Willox said:

A more interesting test would have been to downscale the P6K footage to 4K, same size as the P4K. Blowing up looking for detail you won't need is not very interesting, nor fair.

One reason to buy the P6K would be - IF - you really need that extra resolution, and are willing to cope with the file sizes and processing power needed.

Also, there is a speedbooster in the equasion, producting some of the softness, and I would guess the loss of contrast ?

I was wondering about the Speedbooster when I watched the video as well. The P4K footage looked almost out of focus in places compared to the P6K footage. I wonder if his Metabones is soft or if he missed focus (over, and over...). If there is that much of a jump in sharpness between the 6K downsampled to 4K and the 4K straight out of the P4K, that is surprising to me. Another thing to add to my comparison list...

13 minutes ago, drm said:

I was wondering about the Speedbooster when I watched the video as well. The P4K footage looked almost out of focus in places compared to the P6K footage. I wonder if his Metabones is soft or if he missed focus (over, and over...). If there is that much of a jump in sharpness between the 6K downsampled to 4K and the 4K straight out of the P4K, that is surprising to me. Another thing to add to my comparison list...

I think the added or loss of detail is the difference between the P6K and P4K.  Unless you zoom in you don't notice and if you didn't have P6K footage to compare it to you also wouldn't know the P6K had more detail.  Detail is also not sharpness.

25 minutes ago, drm said:

Does it have anything to do with the difference in the sensor's stack size?

If the sensor is a normal, around 4mm, depth it has an advantage to the 2.4-2.5mm of the P4K.

It certainly needs testing, and I hope someone will do the normal m43 to the BM 43 Metabones in different lenses, focal lengths and apertures.

59 minutes ago, drm said:

Some of that footage was definitely out of focus. Though not all of it was (pretty sure), and it was consistently more detailed. He shouldn't have used a speedbooster though. 

4 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Some of that footage was definitely out of focus. Though not all of it was (pretty sure), and it was consistently more detailed. He shouldn't have used a speedbooster though. 

See, though, that is the challenge. I am trying to figure out how to compare the two cameras when I do my tests soon. If you use the Speedbooster, you can use the exact same lens, but the P4K is going to have a wider field of view and more light. If you use a different lens, then you are comparing both the cameras and the lenses. Then, when you compare, do you adjust for the differing depths of field, or just ignore that? There are so many ways that you could compare the two cameras.

Comparing with a Speedbooster seems to be a better comparison. What would you suggest? 

8 minutes ago, drm said:

Comparing with a Speedbooster seems to be a better comparison. What would you suggest? 

What about a glassless adapter? Then you can compare only the camera. It’ll also give fair DOF comparison on the sensor. FOV will differ, but hopefully it’s possible to  step back to compensate?

I hope you have one, and don’t expect you to go buy one just for the test. (Although it does turn each lens into 2 different lenses if you have a speedbooster and a glassless adapter to hand)

4 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

What about a glassless adapter? Then you can compare only the camera. It’ll also give fair DOF comparison on the sensor. FOV will differ, but hopefully it’s possible to  step back to compensate?

I hope you have one, and don’t expect you to go buy one just for the test. (Although it does turn each lens into 2 different lenses if you have a speedbooster and a glassless adapter to hand)

That is a great idea. The only adapters that I have are the Speedboosters with glass. Let me ask around and see if someone has one here locally.