Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K

BTM_Pix

25 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Just watched all the sample vids of the P6K on BM’s website again and I am truly impressed. I didn’t think I’d care about 6K or S35, and maybe I don’t, but whatever is going on with that image is gorgeous. Oddly, 6K doesn’t look clinically sharp. It just looks right. Perhaps the larger sensor is helping. I have no idea. The color. The feels. Perfect.

I share same judgement so I guess we should not be wrong ; -)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, mercer said:

No.

Are you the most argumentative for no reason whatsoever?

As far as Netflix... umm... yeah that’s what I said.

As far as 4K? I don’t think anybody disagrees with you about future proofing. That is a solid argument in favor of 4K and the argument has been around for 5+ years, yet 5 years after the advent of 4K into the consumer market and over 10 years since Red released 4K into a cinema camera, most US Network Television is still broadcasted in 720p.

So, I don’t see people pushing against it, I see some people choosing not to use it.

Obviously, 4K is the future, but it doesn’t mean that 2K is obsolete because a small percentage of content ON (not created by) Netflix is in 4K.

No argument because I'm right. 

Netflix makes a lot of original movies and series that are Hollywood production level.  So add up the content shot in 4K and you have different story then what you said or claimed. That's cool because most people didn't know Netflix demands 4K content and why they do that. 

7 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

Netflix makes a lot of original movies and series that are Hollywood production level.  So add up the content shot in 4K and you have different story then what you said or claimed. That's cool because most people didn't know Netflix demands 4K content and why they do that. 

You are not right. The majority of Hollywood produced TV shows and films are shot on an Alexa Mini... which shoots 2.7K.

Netflix Originals account for a very small percentage of Hollywood Productions and BTW... almost everybody on this site knows about Netflix’s requirements for their original productions because there are about a half a dozen threads about it over the past couple of years. But thanks for playing.

Good Lord... how old are you? By your name, I would think you were born in 1977 but by your responses, it’s like talking to a teenager.

I’m sure you’ll reply by cherry picking one of my sentences and distorting it but please don’t bother wasting your time... this is boring. 

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

You are not right. The majority of Hollywood produced TV shows and films are shot on an Alexa Mini... which shoots 2.7K.

Netflix Originals account for a very small percentage of Hollywood Productions and BTW... almost everybody on this site knows about Netflix’s requirements for their original productions because there are about a half a dozen threads about it over the past couple of years. But thanks for playing.

Wow! Who chooses those words "no argument because I'm right", to start a sentence on an internet forum, or any forum for that matter  !!

Indeed, Netflix requirements is a very popular topic, and not only in this forum.

Funny thing is that people worry too much about the requirements, and not for the fact that they won't ever produce anything worthy of Netflix distribution, even though it seems like they are accepting almost anything these days.

Netflix is just a bleep in the the whole industry worldwide.

..and this is a thread about a 6K camera by the way!

14 minutes ago, mercer said:

Good Lord... how old are you? By your name, I would think you were born in 1977 but by your responses, it’s like talking to a teenager.

I’m sure you’ll reply by cherry picking one of my sentences and distorting it but please don’t bother wasting your time... this is boring. 

Your full quote is above. You have issues owning what you comment and then trying to take credit for what I said about Netflix original content being 4K.

"Netflix, set to spend upwards of $8 billion on content in 2018, will have in the neighborhood of 700 original TV shows on the service worldwide this year, according to CFO David Wells."Do you know what 8 billion is in dollars? and 700 original tv shows which are multi season series. 

Your post come off like you RIDE THE FENCE on everything. You have zero conviction because you play both sides and talk from both sides of your mouth. You also like to put word into my mouth and make claims that I never said.  Case in point I never said 2K was dead or that I preferred 2K or 4K.  

I'm 50 yrs old, and how old are you butthead? 

What was ever your point when you commented back to me the first time? did it go like this " 4k is sweet and nice but 2K not dead and I"m just a writer guy and a amateur."

Stop riding the fence on every post. 

43 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

most people didn't know Netflix demands 4K content

Fuck most people.

I know someone who recently sold a doc to Netflix shot on a 5DM2.

All these sods constantly tripping over themselves for the 'best' image while regurgitating the same tired shlock.

Story and form trumps all.

C100 or die! ;)

2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Wow! Who chooses those words "no argument because I'm right", to start a sentence on an internet forum, or any forum for that matter  !!

Indeed, Netflix requirements is a very popular topic, and not only in this forum.

Funny thing is that people worry too much about the requirements, and not for the fact that they won't ever produce anything worthy of Netflix distribution, even though it seems like they are accepting almost anything these days.

Netflix is just a bleep in the the whole industry worldwide.

..and this is a thread about a 6K camera by the way!

That was a response from a comment made to me. And it's about 4K content being future proof for the streaming content studios like Netflix. 

"Netflix, set to spend upwards of $8 billion on content in 2018, will have in the neighborhood of 700 original TV shows".

Sorry but that not just a bleep in the whole industry worldwide.  That's one company and go count the hours produced from these original 4K tv series on Netflix.

Yeah this thread is about 6k and that turned into 'why 6k' when we don't need 4k."  Someone needs to educate people on why studios want 4k and not 1080p.  The short answer is when 4K streaming and viewing catches up and is standard these studios and network don't want a movie or tv show filmed in 2018 to be 1080p. It simple. Somehow people keep commenting that "I don't want 4K so why are we getting 6k". 

I bet you your house I make Netflix content.  You might have low goals and talk big about people on this board never making content that's worthy of Netflix distribution, but I don't.  I'll help anyone on this board get on Netflix and which them all the best in trying to reach that goal.  I'll have my work on Netflix and you'll be the first one I tell about it.

9 minutes ago, User said:

Fuck most people.

I know someone who recently sold a doc to Netflix shot on a 5DM2.

All these sods constantly tripping over themselves for the 'best' image while regurgitating the same tired shlock.

Story and form trumps all.

C100 or die! ;)

Hahah. Yes sir my friend.  Go have beer with your friend and tell him way to go. ( is it a good doc?).  That's some of the best content on Netflix.

Doc's can get buy based on Netflix specs.  Story is king and trumps 4K in that case.

30 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

That was a response from a comment made to me. And it's about 4K content being future proof for the streaming content studios like Netflix. 

"Netflix, set to spend upwards of $8 billion on content in 2018, will have in the neighborhood of 700 original TV shows".

The Avengers movie only, did something like 2.6 billions in tickets. You have no clue how big the industry is, and where, and how.

https://www.businessinsider.com/avengers-endgame-box-office-might-not-surpass-avatar-2019-5

Edit: 4K is great, 6K even better, 8K even more, 16K angelic. I do not disagree with what you say, but the way you say it, and I would be glad to make a masterpiece in 720p, than a stupid iMax nothingness.

20 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

( is it a good doc?).

It's alright (not great) for what it is... a portrait of some folks living in a big city which had not been done before and I think that's why Netflix took it. No idea how much they paid or how the filmmaker was able to approach Netflix unless it was through an agent or well established producer... word is that one doesnt just call up Netflix. Maybe you could expand on this?

49 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

The Avengers movie only, did something like 2.6 billions in tickets. You have no clue how big the industry is, and where, and how.

https://www.businessinsider.com/avengers-endgame-box-office-might-not-surpass-avatar-2019-5

Edit: 4K is great, 6K even better, 8K even more, 16K angelic. I do not disagree with what you say, but the way you say it, and I would be glad to make a masterpiece in 720p, than a stupid iMax nothingness.

We are talking productions shot in 4K not box office success. 

I'm sorry the tone of my comments offends you but it shouldn't.  

32 minutes ago, User said:

It's alright (not great) for what it is... a portrait of some folks living in a big city which had not been done before and I think that's why Netflix took it. No idea how much they paid or how the filmmaker was able to approach Netflix unless it was through an agent or well established producer... word is that one doesnt just call up Netflix. Maybe you could expand on this?

Pitching scripts to Hollywood has not changed and it's the same with Netflix

6K RAW seems super tempting but the file sizes makes my eyes water just thinking about it!!

5 hours ago, Skip77 said:

4K is here, and adoption of 4K in the home in increasing. In just a few years, it will be harder to find an HD television than a 4K television.

We recently bought two TVs (one for someone else and one for us) and my wife is a super-star bargain hunter, typically finding deals like 40-70% off.  Anyway, IIRC we bought a 58in and 63in and we made the decision to buy the 63in one without knowing it was 4K because it didn't mention 4K on the box or on any of the little feature stickers on the display model.   

When a TV with a huge discount doesn't even mention it's 4K, that's an indicator that 4K isn't new any more.  I don't know how long people typically own a TV for, but if 4K isn't even mentioned anymore then pretty much everyone will be getting 4K in their next upgrade.

Just now, Skip77 said:

i'm going to play devils advocate momentarily, they may demand 4k but what do they deliver ? I live a long way from any broadband connection so my viewpoint is extremely biased, however you try pushing 4k down through the internet to everyone, that sucker is simply going to melt. i notice tv stations are falling over themselves to present us with hd content let alone 4k, where i am 38 channels of  576i compared to ( lets be optimistic and ) say 4 channels of hd  hmm thats like an excellent ratio dont you think ? 

Australia at least, is a long way behind the eight ball where hd and 4k are concerned. How other countries have it sorted i have no idea. It maybe true you can easily buy a 4k tv but getting or steaming content to play on that beastie is another issue all together i feel. Unless you live in a city 500 meters from a broadband hub, lucky you. What sort of data plan would you require for 4k or 6k anyway ? HD can chew through the gigabytes, 4k or 6k will be epic and next level, and require superconductors and still probably melt both polar icecaps, but they were melting already so its no big deal. 

There is 29,614 people on this forum, 6 billion on this planet and counting. Where video is concerned, i think that makes us a bunch of elitists. Notice i include myself in this description as well. If you can afford 4k, 6k, 8k cameras and everything that equipment entails i say awesome. If you can send receive or stream all that then your doubly awesome and must be living in utopia. Planetary wide, i'd say hd is probably a drop of water in the bucket. Personally i love my tech when i can afford it and playing with it. If you get paid to play with video and can claim it on your tax thats also awesome. But if i think on it really deeply then there is a bunch of people out there that would say my 4k pictures taste like shit and a can of baked beans would taste better and they would be right.

23 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Plentry life left in the G7 also. Big deal. You are already behind sad to say. Life moves on. Welcome to the video world. Photo, no big deal, Video, oh boy..

You're being really negative and for no real reason lately, and have been pretty rude when doing so. Please keep your negative opinions to yourself because they add nothing and you keep beating multiple dead horses. 

22 hours ago, Skip77 said:

Don't believe the media.  It's safe in America and just as safe as the U.K.

The statistics don't support that claim at all. 

-----

Back on topic:

As someone said earlier, 4K still hasn't been universally adopted yet, and frankly most folks would be hard pressed to see the difference between 1080 and 4K video given your average TV size. I don't expect most people will be able to tell the difference between 4K and 8K for the same reason. 

The most intriguing part to me is the larger S35 sensor and EF mount. I hope they did something to improve battery life. 

6k is cool. Lots of talk about “adapting to the future. ” It is an interesting time with a lot of commercial work literally being shot on 16mm and 35mm film right now. 

I am curious if the resolution war even as big of a deal as it was even a few years ago? 

• Super Members
7 hours ago, Skip77 said:

Doc's can get buy based on Netflix specs.  Story is king and trumps 4K in that case.

It still seems like you haven't fully understood. The Netflix 4K requirement is for productions made by Netflix. I can use whatever I want and if it's good enough they will accept.

To this day almost half of all the movies at the Oscars etc are shot on film or HD. And they all go on Netflix.

Netflix even still pick up TV shows shot on s16.

This has been talked about to death on this forum in the past. So let's get back to the real subject.

I have been intrigued last Thursday when they announced the 6k version of the Pocket.  Hits/misses, but very exciting times in the videography field.  I'm not gonna hold my breath in purchasing as I feel their stock can be a bit dicey.  I witnessed the P4K orders and long times for stock and ship so I'm not hard pressed - probably next year or a few until they are solid.  Funny they're pushing P6K fast than the P4K so, there you have it.