Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Neither me, nice find : ) Mixed with the 4K version for the first clip.

Can you be clear?  Which video is from the  6K and 4K models in one edit?

I thought you said and questioned why no footage from the P6K.   Can you reaffirm that BMD does have footage from the P6K on their site?

12 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

Can you be clear?  Which video is from the  6K and 4K models in one edit?

I thought you said and questioned why no footage from the P6K.   Can you reaffirm that BMD does have footage from the P6K on their site?

Yes, I didn't know it yet. Posted on reduser too and someone else have linked here as well:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera/workflow

They could restrict that page to only the new P6K for a total of 9 clips as included there in many different shooting scenarios, but they've also added 2 videos from P4K (the 1st and 4th) which made me to think they don't see each version as individual models. Well, if we take a look on both bodies, they are pretty identical or similar as Andrew nailed in his introductory article : -)

Hello Emanuel, hope you're fine ? I'm interested again about Blackmagic Pocket 6k because I've some lenses in EF mount, four lenses in total (probably I will add one more soon) . I have not decided yet what camera  to buy, I'm waiting also for Sony, Canon and Panasonic will offer. 

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

"You can even shoot windowed 2.8K resolution video at up to 120 frames per second with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K to create dramatic, high resolution slow motion video."

What that does mean exactly? Similar like the HD windowes mode in P4K?

It does 20mgpxls raw photos. That is ok for some people, another minor plus I guess..

It seriously re-assuring having a proper EF mount there. Decisions decisions..

The 2.8K mode is windowed?

What a waste.

With this information and at this price, the P6K enters the rental category for me. $1299 for the P4K is a price that makes the headaches of BM cameras go away, $2499... ehh not so much.

1 hour ago, KnightsFan said:

I understand why higher resolutions are better, and where to see them, but here's my experience:

I know 0 people who own a 4k computer screen. I own a 4k TV but never use it in 4k because I have 0 4k movies, my blu ray player only supports 1080p, my internet won't handle a 4k stream, and for gaming it maxes out at 4k30 which is too low a frame rate. 100% of the Apple desktop computers that I have seen, were at universities or studios--Mac as an operating system has <4% market share, and a lot of those are laptops. The actual number of 4K+ iMacs out there in use is miniscule. Very few of my friends actually own desktop computers, for that matter, they just use laptops and phones with HD screens. They would benefit from the bitrate increase of streaming 4K on their devices, but for vast swathes of rural America, the internet bandwidth simply doesn't support 4k.

I get that a lot of pros need 4k or 6k to stay ahead of the competition. When making content, you make it high enough resolution that the top tier viewers are satisfied, even if only 10% see it in 4k. But the reality for me is, 4k is not a display format yet. My work has only ever been shown in local theaters, festivals, and bars, and none of those venues had 4K display capabilities.

It's very odd that cinematographers and DP's on this forum keep questioning 4K and why it's needed and the norm. 

This is our craft and passion.  When we hit that RED record button we are capturing the moment, the sunset over the Grand Canyon or that one and only take for the next blockbuster movie. We should all champion 4K and beyond if not only for capturing those moments in glorious 4K detail. It's not 4K's fault all 4K is not equal. But this has been going on forever since film vs 8mm debate was started. 

We are stuck in the smartphone 4K, compact camera 4K, all the way up to cine line up cameras. We all want that organic look from 4K on our phones but that's not how it works. 

You don't have to be a technology nut to figure out why 4K is needed and relevant. It's not about seeing your 4K footage at the movie theater but it is about the future. Once streaming and displays align and catch up all this 4K content that's been created will get new life and be discovered again.

Streaming companies need content and if the content created now was only 1080p, then that content becomes irrelevant when everyone is ready for 4K. 

1 minute ago, mercer said:

The 2.8K mode is windowed?

What a waste.

With this information and at this price, the P6K enters the rental category for me. $1299 for the P4K is a price that makes the headaches of BM cameras go away, $2499... ehh not so much.

That 2.8K is 120fps.  

Doesn't the RED and other cine cameras do the same as the fps go up?

3 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Please provide evidence for any of this. Or not. I don’t care because at this point all you’ll share is fake news vitriol. What leftists have decided they can do is pick a position, scream it as loud as they can until they and everyone around them believe it’s true. If they want to punch you. Well they say it’s ok to punch Nazis. Then label you a Nazi. Then punch you. 

Regarding “confessed aspiring rapist” I assume you’re referring to his pu$$y comment. Which anyone with half a brain knows was said and meant as an exaggeration. Like “I’m going to kick his ass.” But I’ve never seen anyone actually kick someone in the ass. Fake news.

Regarding “criminal”. No obstruction. No collusion. Fake news.

Regarding “diagnosed compulsive liar” I haven’t heard this one. I mean I’m sure he lies or has lied. I would never attempt to defend this. But Hillary anyone? Fake news.

A huge portion of the world is living on fake news. They would believe anything and anyone, regardless of the startling evidence to the contrary. They've become zombies, and you probably couldn't change their mind, if you tried. 

41 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Yes, I didn't know it yet. Posted on reduser too and someone else have linked here as well:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera/workflow

They could restrict that page to only the new P6K for a total of 9 clips as included there in many different shooting scenarios, but they've also added 2 videos from P4K (the 1st and 4th) which made me to think they don't see each version as individual models. Well, if we take a look on both bodies, they are pretty identical or similar as Andrew nailed in his introductory article : -)

It says a lot about the people that cried wolf over and over about the P6K not having footage.  The descriptions are easy to read for each video. The show all the specs and which camera was used.  No deception at all. 

You actually went further and added your little twist about now having 6K footage for its release date.  It just shows what some people are about.  Instead of adding important information and seeing the positive about the 6K you added incorrect information and ran with it.  Not only making cuts with the knife in the back but twisting it is you cut. 

BMD developed the 6k for various reasons and I really don't think they are done yet. 

5 minutes ago, sanveer said:

A huge portion of the world is living on fake news. They would believe anything and anyone, regardless of the startling evidence to the contrary. They've become zombies, and you probably couldn't change their mind, if you tried. 

People reported fake information about the BMD 6K not having footage that was released to the public.  And as this was posted other people jump on and post replies and speculate as to the reason why.  This is what causes doubt and mistrust towards new camera releases and companies. It is was false.  It might seem like a big deal and just a mistake but it wasn't. 

52 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Well, if we take a look on both bodies, they are pretty identical or similar as Andrew nailed in his introductory article : -)

The front lens mount area is twice as large on the 6K vs the P4K.   Not the same.

Did you see anyone to cry over there? Deception?? Really? Where? I didn't. Just people wondering about where's the footage, myself included and I placed my pre-order anyway. Well, internet is a vast ocean in fact. Lots of fake news... LOL : -)

I can't say the same how easy certain type of people jump to presume anything out of their knowledge, with no wondering at all as fair and necessary principle, i.e., an efficient way to gather information.

But invariably based on nonsensical certainties to say the least : D

For some reason the word 'similar' is there. 'Identical' instead doesn't necessarily mean 100% identical as much as identical twins are not the same body either ; -)

• Super Members
29 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Sadly that is true. Mr Trump and the easily offended right wingers spread so much fake news that the truth gets lost. Total zombies indeed.

26 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

People reported fake information about the BMD 6K not having footage that was released to the public.  And as this was posted other people jump on and post replies and speculate as to the reason why.  This is what causes doubt and mistrust towards new camera releases and companies. It is was false.  It might seem like a big deal and just a mistake but it wasn't. 

Yup, when cameras lol BMD, Ricoh and Sigma are released fake news spread quickly on forums. We have seen it many times here in the past.

32 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

It's very odd that cinematographers and DP's on this forum keep questioning 4K and why it's needed and the norm.

Don't get me wrong, i love 4k. I always shoot 4k, religiously maintain fidelity throughout my post pipeline. I'm the guy who mixes in 5.1 despite the fact that virtually no one watches my content with 5 speakers.

I am just saying that, given finite money, I don't think it is worth doubling the cost to get 6k over 4k, and I don't see any other tangible advantages of the P4k at the moment.

39 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

hat 2.8K is 120fps.  

So only 120fps in 2.8K mode is windowed?

45 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

Not really. Most of the shooters on this site aren’t cinematographers by the criteria of the title, they’re videographers. But for the point of your argument, that’s just semantics.

So, I digress... if you look at professional cinematographers and the films/tv shows produced and released, only a very small percentage is captured in 4K and higher and even less is distributed in 4K and higher. So the argument is that if it’s good enough for an Alexa and your local multiplex, 9 out of 10 times it’s good enough for a smart phone distribution.

With that being said, technological advancements are great and hopefully the major players will get hit hard by these smaller camera companies releasing bleeding edge features that us mere mortals can afford. I’m sure the C500 Mark II’s price tag won’t look so great at IBC when BlackMagic is showing off their $2500 camera.

1 minute ago, KnightsFan said:

I am just saying that, given finite money, I don't think it is worth doubling the cost to get 6k over 4k, and I don't see any other tangible advantages of the P4k at the moment.

I am not sold to the P6K over the P4K yet, but those 2 extra Ks can offer some framing and downscaling options. It is not like it is just a number, there are some advantages to it.

Also, it is a much bigger sensor, with whatever that means for real life situations in dynamic range and low light capabilities (the diagrams show no big differences, but always real life use is what really counts).

For some the native EF mount is a plus too.

@mercer

This is from the BM web site

"You can even shoot windowed 2.8K resolution video at up to 120 frames per second with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K to create dramatic, high resolution slow motion video."

My interpretation is that 120 frames can only be windowed.

This is dope. 

However, I think this is way too soon and I worry that they could make the 4k obsolete  very soon. Even though I haven't owned it longer than 7 months. Is this the pattern they are rolling with. They are knocking cameras out way too soon for my liking. Bare in mind the 4k was suppose to be future proof. 

Anyhoo looking at the image I cant really see a significant improvement. I have fallen in love with the 4K and I think it's a gem as long as you shoot within it's sweet spot. 

Personally this is meh. I can't see the appeal for an upgrade but having an EF MOUNT is very ideal . 

4 minutes ago, Dunjoye said:

This is dope. 

However, I think this is way too soon and I worry that they could make the 4k obsolete  very soon. Even though I haven't owned it longer than 7 months. Is this the pattern they are rolling with. They are knocking cameras out way too soon for my liking. Bare in mind the 4k was suppose to be future proof. 

Anyhoo looking at the image I cant really see a significant improvement. I have fallen in love with the 4K and I think it's a gem as long as you shoot within it's sweet spot. 

Personally this is meh. I can't see the appeal for an upgrade but having an EF MOUNT is very ideal . 

Nothing is future proof, except maybe the Giza pyramid!

4K is not obsolete. It will be when the majority of people buy 8K TVs and a production company asks for an 8K delivery. 

6K is good because it could improve your 4K workflow.

P4K is so cheap already that I doubt we will see a significant difference in price anytime soon.

What adapters and lenses do you use it with?

14 minutes ago, Dunjoye said:

This is dope. 

I almost wonder if BM functions day to day from the money they make from preorders... joking.

I actually think this is a strange camera release and they’re banking on the desire of enthusiasts and up and coming filmmakers to drink the Kool Aid. If I’m being honest, I’m almost offended that less than 2 months ago, people were still waiting for their pre-ordered P4K and then they release this. Also, what does this camera do to Ursa sales? I’m sure a lot of folks were planning or considering a jump from the P4K to the Ursa and now don’t have to.

Interesting.

6k will hold more detail and give more framing options. You'd think the bigger sensor would yield more dynamic range but I guess that's not the case. 4k 120fps and 1 stop more of dynamic range would have made this camera a lot more compelling. Still close to 3k at 120fps is a decent step up. Bigger sensor is always a plus, if it can be speedboosted you'll get a full frame FOV.

I don't think it will kill URSA sales that much. For someone who likes working with cinema bodies I don't see why you'd step down to a DSLR looking thing. But I think its a great, more options is always better. Glad they aren't incredibly afraid of keeping their "cinema line" safe, as other companies seem to do, other than maybe Panasonic.