Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

EBeO8zlVUAAWn2S.thumb.jpeg.526da87cf6bbc61218992b27d5236b0d.jpeg

EBePaaCU8AEzgc5.thumb.jpeg.5c63d3d14268d54ce15c5b4c37610e15.jpeg

EBePQfiUcAA5cCT.thumb.jpeg.bc94fd52a29213dfbeb1d676ddd9b327.jpeg

Oh well, we might as well start a new thread then.

Interesting to see how it fares now its swimming in different if not necessarily deeper waters.

Instant availability as well, which is another surprise, so whatever those components Grant Petty referenced that had 72 week lead times in the 4K version that have been crippling deliveries are obviously not in play here.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, if we're to extrapolate from the past two things will happen:

- It'll be rushed but still late and have issues

- They'll completely stop supporting the 4K version now and kind of pretend it doesn't exist, much like the URSA and the URSA Mini (non-pro variants).

I can't bring myself to care about the resolution increase.

The question is: Pocket 4K or 6K?

Obviously the resolution..does it worth it?

Speedboosting or just adapting an m43 sensor can provide many creative paths.

The huge problem for me was that m43 had significant noise levels from lower ISO, now that we have 3200 as base ISO that is not an issue anymore.

I tend to stay with my original idea of ordering the 4K.

Also, the 1295$ are 1500€ here, so the 2495 can be very close to 3000€ in Europe-money, so that is something to consider as well.

Also the size and weight, with a m43 lens the 4K will be always be more mobile, and I am not sure what the 6K can do to our Ronin S we some already own.

• Super Members
Just now, Ehetyz said:

Well, if we're to extrapolate from the past two things will happen:

- It'll be rushed but still late and have issues

- They'll completely stop supporting the 4K version now and kind of pretend it doesn't exist, much like the URSA and the URSA Mini (non-pro variants).

I can't bring myself to care about the resolution increase.

He says its immediately available from stock.

Which makes me suspicious about the long term outlook for the 4K considering the lead times he was mentioning for components for it.

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

The question is: Pocket 4K or 6K?

Obviously the resolution..does it worth it?

Speedboosting or just adapting an m43 sensor can provide many creative paths.

The huge problem for me was that m43 had significant noise levels from lower ISO, now that we have 3200 as base ISO that is not an issue anymore.

I tend to stay with my original idea of ordering the 4K.

Also, the 1295$ are 1500€ here, so the 2495 can be very close to 3000€ in Europe-money, so that is something to consider as well.

Also the size and weight, with a m43 lens the 4K will be always be more mobile, and I am not sure what the 6K can do to our Ronin S we some already own.

€3000 puts into a different bracket with different choices doesn't it?

When you look at in the cold light of day, its going to be an APS-C EF mount camera with very primitive AF and a (now) compressed RAW codec.

If Canon announced something with that spec today there'd be howls of derision ;) 

I think it makes less sense for a lot of people than the 4K does (not least because the 4K can have EF lenses as well of course) but the choice is there now.

• Super Members

Very interesting. My thoughts.

1. Boy am I glad I sold my second BMPCC4K before this was announced.

2. I don't care one bit about 6K.

3. But I care a lot about the bigger sensor and EF mount. Getting a good combo of lenses and/or adapters on the BMPCC4K that didn't vingette and didn't have massive barrel distortion was a PITA. I'm already kitted for EF. The Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC will probably live on it.

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

This is making the m4/3 mount look more and more in jeopardy. Seems everyone is moving away from it. They might know something we don't, along with Panasonic.

I think the thirst for ever faster lenses is starting to bite as the prices of the equivalent mft ones can't compete.

If you look at something like the Sigma 16mm f1.4 for the Pocket 6K then its not far off half the price of the (almost) equivalent 12mm f1.4 Panasonic lens.

Far more choice of fast, stabilised (which is obviously important on non-IBIS camera) native lenses from more manufacturers for the 6K than the 4K so you could argue that the difference in price will be recouped in lenses.

The lenses are bigger of course but lets be honest the either version of the camera isn't on the compact side anyway.

18 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

This is making the m4/3 mount look more and more in jeopardy. Seems everyone is moving away from it. They might know something we don't, along with Panasonic.

1) Canon is having dedicated almost all its resources to their new RF mount, so I wouldn't say that EF is going anywhere either (natively at least)

2) m43 isn't that bad, more and more companies use it e.g. BlackMagic, JVC, Sharp (their prototype 8K camera), DJI and probably the next professional 360/VR cameras

3) you are an advocate of mobile phone's cameras, imagine all the technology going to an m43 sensor

4) this camera in no way will sell more than the P4K.