Blackmagic to announce new camera related news at 12 noon PDT (8pm London)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, RubanCam said:

If you are not using Davinci Resolve, then P6K does not make sense at all. May be BM wants FCPX and PP editors to switch to Resolve with this 6K Raw only bait .

I would say that BM wants the whole market to switch to Resolve . That's why they decided to design, build and offer cameras at these low prices in order to turn industry to Resolve.

This is their main target not the camera industry.

22 minutes ago, nathlas said:

I would say that BM wants the whole market to switch to Resolve . That's why they decided to design, build and offer cameras at these low prices in order to turn industry to Resolve.

This is their main target not the camera industry.

Not too sure I agree.

BMD have been giving away Resolve with cameras for a while now. People who received Resolve years ago have never had to pay for any updates in all these years. On the other hand, people are always upgrading their cameras. Unless BMD are trying to suck us all in to their software and then are going to surprise us all with huge fees to use it, I'd say hardware is where they would make most of their money.

1 minute ago, A_Urquhart said:

I'd say hardware is where they would make most of their money.

I would agree, but not necessarily the cameras. Their switchers, encoders, surfaces, control boards and all those kids of things are where the money is. The cameras are cheap to get people on the lower end using their gear and knowing the brand. DaVinci comes with them for free because once you start using it, you'll want to progress and step up to the next tier. That means you'll buy the hardware to help with that, which is also made by BMD. 

So while the software is cheap/free and the cameras are low priced, I would agree with @nathlas - They want everyone to be using Resolve because then they have a cornered market for the accompanying hardware.

1 minute ago, Anaconda_ said:

I would agree, but not necessarily the cameras. Their switchers, encoders, surfaces, control boards and all those kids of things are where the money is. The cameras are cheap to get people on the lower end using their gear and knowing the brand. DaVinci comes with them for free because once you start using it, you'll want to progress and step up to the next tier. That means you'll buy the hardware to help with that, which is also made by BMD. 

So while the software is cheap/free and the cameras are low priced, I would agree with @nathlas - They want everyone to be using Resolve because then they have a cornered market for the accompanying hardware.

I agree, hence why I said hardware and not cameras. They are creating an ecosystem........a very good one at that!

On 8/14/2019 at 1:26 AM, RubanCam said:

If you are not using Davinci Resolve, then P6K does not make sense at all. May be BM wants FCPX and PP editors to switch to Resolve with this 6K Raw only bait .

You only have to use Resolve for color grading, then edit down and transcode the footage out to ProRes HQ.  Then FCPX or PP.  

It's not the issue most make it out to be. 

Resolve has killer color grading set up that blow FCPX and PP away.   But for editing Resolve is not fast enough for me. 

And I love FCPX.

On 8/14/2019 at 5:39 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Whoah...hang on there you two.

You are doing forums wrong if you agree to agree.

Splitting hairs, clinging on to a semantic rock and repelling all boarders...that is what it is all about.

Now, lets get this back on course and start trading petty insults.

:) 

I bet you made that ToF device because your complete rubbish a manual focus. Loser!

• 2 months later...