Blackmagic to announce new camera related news at 12 noon PDT (8pm London)

Andrew Reid

Just now, BTM_Pix said:

The thing is that if you are set up to take stills with it (and don't need a fast shutter speed) then you are also set up to take video with it and might as well just press the video record button and do frame extracts with the added advantage of 24fps capture with an unlimited buffer.

Well, of course, you were able to do that when it was shooting CinemaDNG but its arguably a different story now with compressed BRAW so the DNG of stills mode will now be a differentiator to some people so I suppose a bit more thought has to go in from that perspective of it needing a more specific mode.

Or not ;)

A bluetooth shutter release/video start probably.

Short press for stills, long press for video sound OK ?

would you build that into your cda-tek 3c app?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, DBounce said:

Well the Sigma is full frame not S35 like the ? Pocket 6k, and yet it’s not called a “pocket”. 

It doesn’t depend on ones perspective of a cinema camera... it depends on ones reasonable expectation of what can fit inside a pocket. The original camera with a pancake lens could fit inside a pocket, this thing has not a chance in hell. Frankly, it sounds comical at this point. While I haven’t actually measured, from the images it looks like the P6K is larger than all of the hybrid cinema cameras, including the admittedly large Panasonic S1H.

The P4k was not the first thing to include the word “pocket “ in its name. Most people are familiar with a pocket knife. There are expectations for how large such a item should be. You wouldn’t expect a Bowie knife to be described as “pocket”... and that’s not because most people don’t understand that swords exist.

lol about swords existing :)

I do take your point, but I kind of think it's just funny, and TBH if you put much credence in how things are named then you're in for a great many surprises, like when you find out what "free trade agreements" are all about, etc :) 

53 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Regarding the "pocket", Im still convinced the BMPCC4K was intended to be the BMCCii. They share much more similarities.

IIRC the P4K and BMCC were practically the same width, with the P4K being slightly less tall.  I think I saw a pic somewhere comparing them.

2 hours ago, drm said:

I am very intrigued that the P6K shoots ~20MP still images. I am sure that it will be clunky at taking photos, but I shoot something like 95% video 5% photo. I wonder if it will be useable as a photo camera.

Wouldn't it be electronic shutter only? With rolling shutter the still capabilities are likely pretty limited. I would just carry another body for stills. 

Chris

2 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Wouldn't it be electronic shutter only? With rolling shutter the still capabilities are likely pretty limited. I would just carry another body for stills. 

Chris

If it shares the same readout as the XT3 the rolling shutter is rarely noticeable I have found. I almost always use ES

1 hour ago, amanieux said:

s35 and 6k are nice to have but what we wanted was bigger  internal battery and internal ssd slot (m. 2 or sata) !  both would have cost nothing extra but made it a one piece camera instead of a rigged hell

And internal ND. Especially internal ND Even if it was just a couple of stops!

1 hour ago, RubanCam said:

What is the difference between this and a BMPCC 4K with Metabones 0.64X speed booster?

The field of view will bit a bit wider with a P4K + Speedbooster. The crop with a P4K + Speedbooster = 1.28 (0.64x) or 1.42 (0.71x) vs. a standard super35 crop of 1.5-1.6.

The P6K sensor is larger and is able to capture 6K raw images and some faster frame rates than the P4K. Most everything else is very similar / same. Also, I have seen comments to the effect that a 6K image downsampled to 4K makes up for the Bayer pattern and will produce a "true" 4K image. So, theoretically the P6K image may be a bit better than the P4K.

Plus, you get bragging rights, since many people bash the P4K because it *only* has a M4/3 sensor. They won't be able to say that about the P6K (/sarc) :grin:

10 hours ago, drm said:

Plus, you get bragging rights, since many people bash the P4K because it *only* has a M4/3 sensor. They won't be able to say that about the P6K (/sarc)

I’m sure many P4K owners who loved and made great works with it will bash it for only having a M4/3 sensor.

Even though I can get a speed booster and mount almost any lens onto my GH5S and have a 1.1 crop factor to full frame. But the pockets have many more awesome features when it comes to recording formats. Which makes me ? as a Panny owner. Come on Panasonic!

15 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I’m sure many P4K owners who loved and made great works with it will bash it for only having a M4/3 sensor. 

I picked up a P6K (arrives Monday) to go along with my 3 P4Ks (and others). I guess I am a fan of Blackmagic (and Panasonic). :) 

I hadn't thought this through until after I purchased the P6K, but there are a couple of things with the P6K that I am going to have to consider:

1. The P6K files are more than *double* the size of the P4K files, when recording BRAW. I wonder how well my existing systems (computers, storage, etc.) can handle this change. 
  2. You can't record DCI4K or 4K on the P6K, unless you record ProRes. I will now be forced to transcode the files to resize them or I will lose the benefits of BRAW.
  3. The photosites are apparently smaller than on the P4K, so I wonder about the impact on low light performance. It seems like the P6K has a little more latitude in the highlight regions.

I guess that I will have fun testing (avoiding work) next week :) 

• Super Members
25 minutes ago, Maccam said:

I don't get why they went EF. With the flange distance I don't think can adapt that many other mounts. I know Nikon F is one. 

Aside from F mount, you can adapt PL, M42, Contax C/Y, Canon FD, Minolta MD, Leica R amongst others.

The only ones that you are excluded from is Leica M, Sony E, L mount and of course m43.