Blackmagic to announce new camera related news at 12 noon PDT (8pm London)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Interesting camera but for me, the 4K is a better buy.

My line of work is mainly TVC's, Documentary, Interviews for broadcast etc

Most of my clients don't want anything over 4K. Also, if shooting 4K BRAW on the 6K camera I'm assuming there will be a sensor crop?  That, along with the EF mount means that it will be harder to lens this camera than what it is the 4K with a speed booster especially at the wide end...No? 

It's great that BMD are developing so quickly but I think this sensor really deserves it's own body. A Pocket4K pro!

17 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

Most of my clients don't want anything over 4K. Also, if shooting 4K BRAW on the 6K camera I'm assuming there will be a sensor crop?  

I might be wrong but as far as i can see in the specs on BM's website i don't see any windowed 4K mode, only ProRes (downscaled from full resolution i suppose) so if you want to shoot BRAW it looks like 4K is not an option...

Screenshot 2019-08-09 at 01.34.08.png

2 hours ago, Mokara said:

The S1H will kick the snot out of this thing as a stills camera.

If Panasonic would grow some balls and actually put in a RAW format in their S1H and internal ProRes they would take the market. They have great ergos with well built bodies.

They are marketing the S1H as a cinema camera. It better have cinema features.

I’m not blown away by BMP6K until I see where the S1H lands. I think they missed out on some innovation with that EF mount. I get it, but I also think they could have done something more exciting there.

23 minutes ago, Davide Roveri said:

I might be wrong but as far as i can see in the specs on BM's website i don't see any windowed 4K mode, only ProRes (downscaled from full resolution i suppose) so if you want to shoot BRAW it looks like 4K is not an option...

Screenshot 2019-08-09 at 01.34.08.png

That kinda sucks....but yeah, I wouldn't want to shoot windowed 4k with that EF mount anyway but again, clients don't want over 4k so there's the predicament!

A Mirrorless mount would have made much more sense,

4 hours ago, DanielVranic said:

Not really. There are many many owners of BMD systems on this forum. I've been using BMD stuff for a long time and never a failure.

I bought 3 P4Ks when they first came out, received sometime around last Oct. One of the three had a screen failure (glitching). They tried to repair it, then replaced it. I haven't had a single problem since. Very happy with them. Just ordered the 6K too.

Shooting 6k in BRAW on this and delivering in 4K seems like you would wind up getting a true 4K image after the 6k BRAW- Demosaic-Debayer processing.  So it seems that USRA Mini Pro 8k is not far off, certainly by NAB 2020, as this will definitely eat into USRA Mini Pro 4.6k G2 sales once comparisons are made, if people don’t see a “costs more than twice as much” difference in dynamic range.

12 hours ago, kye said:

It's the BM Ultra Pocket Cinema 8K Pro Plus, and the new Resolve 17 which edits the video for you!!

I'm going to claim some points with my prediction...  

I guessed a higher resolution pocket camera, and lo..  6K it is!  (part marks to me!)
I guessed that resolve edits for you, and lo..  v16.1 beta includes "Boring detector with timeline indicators to detect edits which are running too long"!  (more part marks to me!)

I'm semi joking of course, and my "guess" was a completely ridiculous extrapolation of current trends designed to get a laugh, but wow, they actually moved decently in those directions.  BM just keeps on giving :) 

4 hours ago, Mokara said:

Unlikely that most S1H buyers would take this instead. The S1H is a hybrid, the BM camera is not.

The burst rate and AF on the S1H will be worse them the S1, so for a still camera the S1 is lacking a lot and last in it's class. No one is buying the S1H for photography.

5 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

You meant Pocket 6k EF!!! With Super35 sensor. WTF Blackmagic just done, this is brilliant. 

Yes it is brilliant.  BM just toasted the m4/3 sensor and nailed the first nail. I love what they did with the P6K.  Glad I didn't buy the P4K.

2 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

The burst rate and AF on the S1H will be worse them the S1, so for a still camera the S1 is lacking a lot and last in it's class. No one is buying the S1H for photography.

Yes it is brilliant.  BM just toasted the m4/3 sensor and nailed the first nail. I love what they did with the P6K.  Glad I didn't buy the P4K.

BM just beat the A7SIII before it even came out. WOW! 

I somehow miss the truth coming from your posting when you're not around, buddy : ) but don't put your high expectations so high on the other contenders especially those already established even before World War II ; -)

I wouldn't buy the P4K with this one today, but once bought and a very capable CinemaDNG camera, who has balls to be able to stand happy to sell it?

11 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I wouldn't buy the P4K with this one today, but once bought and a very capable CinemaDNG camera, who has balls to be able to stand happy to sell it?

I have two of my original P4K cameras that should be able to be downgraded to the firmware that allows CDNG (I haven't tried). I prefer the flexibility of BRAW and don't care about CDNG for my work. I am happy to sell one or two of my P4Ks if anyone is interested. (I have three of them)

2 hours ago, kye said:

I'm going to claim some points with my prediction...  

I guessed a higher resolution pocket camera, and lo..  6K it is!  (part marks to me!)
I guessed that resolve edits for you, and lo..  v16.1 beta includes "Boring detector with timeline indicators to detect edits which are running too long"!  (more part marks to me!)

I'm semi joking of course, and my "guess" was a completely ridiculous extrapolation of current trends designed to get a laugh, but wow, they actually moved decently in those directions.  BM just keeps on giving :) 

I need you to go ahead and guess that I will be a multi-millionaire by year's end.

First off, YES. This disrupts aspects of the market wonderfully... not that all cameras should be just like BM cams, but the major players have been holding back on good, easy-to-use RAW. This lights a fire that has needed lighting for some time. And it adds more Resolve users, which is great for that platform. If you haven’t switched to Davinci yet, what are you even doing?

Second though, I still prefer my P4K. I’m planning on adding one of the new positive locking mount Metabones, which effectively makes it a fullframe camera with a real cine mount once I bolt the booster to the camera cage. And even with $700 for the fancy-pants booster, it’s still cheaper than the new P6K. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1492783-REG/metabones_mbspef_m43_bta_t_cine_speed_booster.html

I don’t think I really need 6K... not in 2019. I shot a great short film last year on GH5S that just did very well at LA Shorts Fest, and that was a 2K DCP that looked fantastic. More often than not, I’m looking for ways to soften even the 4K stuff anyway, and my (very good) Kowa 16-H resolves about 4K max at shallow apertures unless it’s very stopped down. Black ProMist, Glimmer Glass and Smoque are all higher on my to-do list than 6K. 

Probably top of the list though is a full-frame mirrorless that can take the Kipon Baveyes MF adapter and shoot good 4K footage with good dynamic range. I’m after some tasty Alexa 65/IMAX/Ultra Panavision vibes. My hopes are on the S1H or the Sigma.