Simultaneous Recording Of Proxy Clips

Dan Wake

Hi, which cameras give us the simultaneous recording of proxy clips? And are those clips useful to smooth the edit workflow for people who use proxy to edit large files as raw format for example? Or do you need to manually create proxy files anyway when you have to start editing? 

Thx

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

as far as i'm aware your editor has to generate them. i know resolve can generate proxies, i have seen it in a menu somewhere. Pretty sure my p4k cant and i'm pretty sure i have played with most of the settings available. Personally i think that would have to be some type of gun camera to record two separate video streams at once but maybe some one out there can prove me wrong. It wouldn't be the first time . i know stills camera can take a raw and jpg at the same time. but i think video with its 24 frames per second is a different kettle of fish compared to stills

1 hour ago, leslie said:

as far as i'm aware your editor has to generate them. i know resolve can generate proxies, i have seen it in a menu somewhere. Pretty sure my p4k cant and i'm pretty sure i have played with most of the settings available. Personally i think that would have to be some type of gun camera to record two separate video streams at once but maybe some one out there can prove me wrong. It wouldn't be the first time . i know stills camera can take a raw and jpg at the same time. but i think video with its 24 frames per second is a different kettle of fish compared to stills

Read here https://www.manualslib.com/manual/994675/Canon-Eos-C300-Mark-Ii.html?page=111

Nobody here use camera proxy workflow instead than process all the footage to create proxy after shooting? Isn’t it a huge waste of time?

24 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

Read here https://www.manualslib.com/manual/994675/Canon-Eos-C300-Mark-Ii.html?page=111

Nobody here use camera proxy workflow instead than process all the footage to create proxy after shooting? Isn’t it a huge waste of time?

I use proxies all the time.  I create 720p Prores proxies from the 4K h264 or 6K h265 source footage, which allows me to fit the source media onto the SSD of my laptop and edit on my daily commute to work.  The 720 Prores cuts like butter and doesn't kill the CPU and battery.

I just wish Resolve had a nicer way to render them.

I create proxies with ffmpeg. I wrote a simple script to batch files. If I use hardware encoding and decoding, converting 10 bit HEVC to 1 Mbps H.264 proxies takes just a few minutes per hour of footage.

When editing, I manually swap proxies and online media in Resolve using the "Re conform from bins" option. Slow motion footage usually doesn't reconform properly, so I leave conform lock enabled for slow motion clips.

On 8/8/2019 at 7:29 AM, Dan Wake said:

I do proxy edits for everything in Premiere. 

Is it a waste of time?

Not for me. I’ll ingest the footage and a day’s shoot will take about an hour to transcode into low-res proxies. Usually I do this in the evening. In the morning it’s ready to go.

The proxy editing is very responsive too.  Actual Source 4K footage is too laggy and slow.  Editing that stuff is an exercise in frustration.