Now phones can shoot creamy bokeh videos

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
35 minutes ago, kye said:

The first few generations of tech always look hideous - just wait, it will get better, then it will get great.

This is me going on record.

Absolutely. Only a matter of time. May not FULLY replace proper cameras, but would be a great run and gun alternative for quick B-Roll shots or something. I use my portrait mode all the time for instagram and have been really pleased. I hope to see more and more computational video over the next few years. Gonna be fun to change focus in post

"big circle effect"

Good grief.... can't even use "bokeh" because people don't know what that is!

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I use my portrait mode all the time for instagram and have been really pleased.

Yeah my current profile pic on Facebook (and here on EOSHD as well, because they're linked together) is that, from a cellphone with faked shallow DoF

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

They're not the past!

This is the slow death of mirrorless cameras, just as the smartphone killed a huge share of the point and shoot camera market.

Once this gets improved, for non professionals it will be good enough and definitely for stills shooting. 

I can't like what your post's content nails, Ed, but I can't disagree either ; ) Absolutely.

Hope there always be such devices for enthusiasts like all of us here, though. It is not even good for this segment if we'll be back to the hands of industry execs ; -)

I love what mobile technology is doing anyway... BTW later today, Realme will launch their 64 MP quad camera model : ) Redmi some time this August, rumors hint : -)

• 2 weeks later...

It looks fake, like when you fake dof with masks in after effects. Or when you film in a green screen and replace the background with a blurred one. It looks awful, by I hope apple or Samsung or someone can get this looking nice. If a feature like this gets integrated into the iPhone, and is available to filmic pro, and if it looks good and there isn’t aggressive sharpening and processing, I will literally switch to an iPhone. The dynamic range is already at 12 stops on the XS with filmic pro log v2. 

On 8/8/2019 at 1:20 PM, Ed_David said:

This is the slow death of mirrorless cameras, just as the smartphone killed a huge share of the point and shoot camera market.

Once this gets improved, for non professionals it will be good enough and definitely for stills shooting. 

This absolutely kills me.

No one is willing to calm down and setup shots properly, etc.

"oh, it'll be good enough."

I really hate this line of misthinking.

I tell people who say that, "okay for you, NEVER for me, you will NEVER be no more than good enough, or even less than."

All my family says this when I bring out my gear and want to perform a proper shoot.

Considering that 99% of people, and thus the 'audience' of most people's photo's and video's,  is watching all his media on a 5.5 inch smartphone or at most on a 13-15 inch cheap laptop screen, it is totally understandable that these 'good enough' imitations of professional looking images are becoming populair.

Not many people are like us, pixelpeeping for moire, onion shaped bokeh or CA on our 32 inch 'footage destroying' monitors.

But yes, this is a big threat to our line of work. But it is also a shame that we have better camera's than ever, but the ways that people are watching media are almost worse than ever. 

I mean, everything looks good on 5 inch. Except it leaves no lasting impression.