iPhone as monitor for G7

Shell64

The g7 does not allow for clean HDMI output. I do want to use an external monitor...

i came across an app for iOS called FieldMonitor. It is based off of the same technology as in the Panasonic imaging app. It uses your phone as a wireless monitor. It has features like waveforms, false color, etc. 

has anyone used this app with a Panasonic camera?  Is this a viable option as an external monitor?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I have had this app for years. Used it for all kind of cameras. I use it for my iPad. My go too app. I have used it for my AF100A and G7, Sony A7's etc.. Best 20 bucks I have ever spent.

How is it on the g7 for checking focus?  Do the focus assists and edge sharpening work well?  Also is it usable even though on the g7 since the internal screen turns off once recording?

58588caab79c0_IMG_05811.thumb.JPG.eded4b01e4c540b3645e94f4b55e46e8.JPG

I haven't had my G7 for several years. So I can't really remember probably what you need to know. It wouldn't be a honest assessment. I know I used the app with it, so it does work with the G7. I have used it for every camera I have owned in the last 4 or 5 years since I have had the app. But you aren't going to use it like I did with my iPad unless you are on a tripod. I use it on my phone also but I found that a phone is too small for all the options it has. It is an amazing app for the price.

But I have never owned an external recorder so I can't say how that would work with the G7 and the app. I bought the G7 in Phoenix, Arizona when I went to see the Grand Canyon. It really worked out. Nice camera. I needed to use the app because I was using my 19x B4 lens on the G7 and I had to make sure about focus. That lens came from a TV station in Hawaii.

5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

It uses the same stream as the Panasonic Image App, so latency/quality/behaviour when recording will be the same.

But it does offer a lot more on the monitoring side, particularly with focus 

The full details are here

https://www.adamwilt.com/fieldmonitor/

Why does everything good video related only get development on iPhone? Drives me fucking nuts.

And why isn't the Panasonic app badass anyway? Wouldn't you imagine most of the functionality that these high end consumer cameras are missing, especially in the realm of social media integration, could be off-loaded onto the incredible devices we all hold in our hands every hour of the day? Why not leverage the lightweight, portable device I already own with an incredible screen and high speed processor?

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, billdoubleu said:

Why does everything good video related only get development on iPhone? Drives me fucking nuts.

I only do stuff for Android so I suppose that proves your point!

There is a similarish product for Android called Gmonitor. 

7 minutes ago, billdoubleu said:

And why isn't the Panasonic app badass anyway? Wouldn't you imagine most of the functionality that these high end consumer cameras are missing, especially in the realm of social media integration, could be off-loaded onto the incredible devices we all hold in our hands every hour of the day? Why not leverage the lightweight, portable device I already own with an incredible screen and high speed processor?

I've mentioned it before but for anyone looking for a more seamless integration for social media then the Toshiba FlashAir SD cards are worth a look as they work independently in the background of the camera you have them in to automatically transfer files to your device without having the full blown camera app open.

The latency/quality equation of monitoring signals over wifi makes the use of the superior display of the phone a bit of a problem. Not to mention the heat and battery drain for sustained periods of that sort of use.

There are some inexpensive wired solutions that use HDMI to USB3 for phones that can handle UVC class devices that can be used though. Think of these as like a roll your own version of the LukiLink.

Although on its not as elegant a solution as being wireless it does have a big advantage with regard to latency and an edge in quality. Its a particularly useful device to have in the bag for owners of cameras that might occasionally need external monitoring but have restrictive wireless apps (ie Fuji where the camera can't record 4K when you are remote monitoring) or obviously for the Pocket4K which has none at all.

Its particularly useful for the Pocket4K in bright sunlight to be able to use your phone as a brighter screen that can be tilted.

1 hour ago, billdoubleu said:

It is the main reason I switched from using Samsung Note Phones to Apple. Hardly any good apps start as a Android app. The good ones were all IOS. I just gave the hell up.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

I only do stuff for Android so I suppose that proves your point!

Haha! No disrespect intended. After all, you are the reason my GX85 gets far more use than my G85 these days.

There is a similarish product for Android called Gmonitor. 

I'll look into this app, thanks!

I've mentioned it before but for anyone looking for a more seamless integration for social media then the Toshiba FlashAir SD cards are worth a look as they work independently in the background of the camera you have them in to automatically transfer files to your device without having the full blown camera app open.

The latency/quality equation of monitoring signals over wifi makes the use of the superior display of the phone a bit of a problem. Not to mention the heat and battery drain for sustained periods of that sort of use.

Understood. Though it seems like there exists more than enough incentive to innovate in this space. The only alternative seems to be having your market share swallowed by the "cell phone" manufacturers.

There are some inexpensive wired solutions that use HDMI to USB3 for phones that can handle UVC class devices that can be used though. Think of these as like a roll your own version of the LukiLink.

Although on its not as elegant a solution as being wireless it does have a big advantage with regard to latency and an edge in quality. Its a particularly useful device to have in the bag for owners of cameras that might occasionally need external monitoring but have restrictive wireless apps (ie Fuji where the camera can't record 4K when you are remote monitoring) or obviously for the Pocket4K which has none at all.

Its particularly useful for the Pocket4K in bright sunlight to be able to use your phone as a brighter screen that can be tilted.

So, you're saying if UVC is in the Android spec and my Pixel 3 XL is hardware capable; use as an external monitor is possible? Would there need to be a software solution to interpret the signal or would Android handle this somehow?

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Hardly any good apps start as a Android app.

Which makes no sense, as Android is a more widely used operating system.

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, billdoubleu said:

So, you're saying if UVC is in the Android spec and my Pixel 3 XL is hardware capable; use as an external monitor is possible? Would there need to be a software solution to interpret the signal or would Android handle this somehow?

You need an app but there are numerous ones on the Google Play store like Easycap, USB Camera Pro and others.

They are generally used as FPV monitors for drones or as live stream encoders for webcams so don't expect all or indeed any of the bells and whistles of FieldMonitor etc but for low latency secondary HDMI monitoring on a much brighter screen they work fine.

Hardware is around £90 if you go for one like this which is the one I have. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DIGITNOW-Card,Full-Streaming-Drive-Free-Compatible-Black/dp/B077YG3P4Z

There are complaints on there about audio sync but thats not something I'd ever have need for so I can't say I've even tested it.

I keep meaning to do a post about it and I will if there is enough interest but I've got a fair amount on at the moment so it will only be a brief one.

The only reason I’m considering this is because it’s the only way to use an external monitor while recording on the g7 outside of a $500 external recorder. My main gripe with this camera. 

While the g7 is great, I recommend the gx85 instead as it is the same price, But has IBIS and clean hdmi while recording.

• Super Members

I know that, I was answering a part of someone else's question in which I had been quoted.

With regard to the GX85, the mic input and articulated screen of the G7 may well actually trump IBIS and simultaneous HDMI out in many use cases so I don't think its that cut and dried personally.