Lumix 14-140 mm variations on Amazon UK

luminescence

Hi there, looking to buy the 14-140 mm, F3.5-5.6, ASPH/POWER O.I.S. - updated Lumix lens (new) and some confusion on Amazon UK website:

1. There are 4 different prices for this NEW updated lens, depending on what time of day you go in - see the attached screen shot. GBP: 495, 515, 529, 619. This is for NEW prices, and does not count some used versions of this updated lens, or used versions of the original 14-140.

2. These new lenses all SEEM to be the same lens - except for the letters following: E, EK, EKA, E9K etc. E=Europe? I notice on some lenses, the entire description is missing - like "ASPH/POWER O.I.S.". With the GBP495 lens (E9K), it says underneath "There is a newer model of this item: Panasonic H-FSA14140E LUMIX G VARIO 14-140mm / F3.5-5.6II ASPH. / POWER O.I.S. £619.99." So this must be the older original lens - o my knowledge there are only two versions."

3. Another problem is that when I put one lens in the shopping cart for GBP529, landing on the next page toward the shopping cart purchase, the price jumps to GBP551 and pretty much about 6% for other items, but there is no explanation for what this is. I would like to get this lens for a lot less than GBP619 but am not sure yet what is available here. Thanks for your attention!

Screenshot_2019-08-05 Amazon co uk lumix 14-140mm Electronics Photo.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

If you are looking for a genuine UK product then the safest way is to check the product codes on Panasonic's own UK direct website (though not necessarily buy from there obviously ;) ) 

From their site the H-FS14140E9K is the original one.

https://panasonicdirect.store.panasonic.co.uk/p-5508-panasonic-h-fs14140e9k-h-fs14140e9k-panasonic-lumix-g-vario-14-140mm-interchangeable-lens-black.aspx?psn=15

And the H-FSA14140E is the MarkII version

https://panasonicdirect.store.panasonic.co.uk/p-5689-panasonic-h-fsa14140e-h-fsa14140e-panasonic-lumix-g-vario-14-140mm-interchangeable-lens.aspx?psn=12

thanks for that much appreciated! There is still ambiguity in Amazon's advertising for the lens going for GBP515. It is GBP100 less than the other one at GBP619 and both are supplied by Amazon. It does not mention used or warehouse special and it is the F3.5 OIS etc (It says "1 new").: Panasonic 14-140 mm/F 3.5-5.6 LUMIX G VARIO POWER OIS ASPH(HFS1414) Lens.

At the top of the GBP515 Amazon ad (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-14-140-3-5-5-6-LUMIX-HFS1414/dp/B00NUZLFLU/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3FY4AKFI7QWYA&keywords=lumix+14-140mm&qid=1565014968&s=electronics&sprefix=lumix+14%2Celectronics%2C160&sr=1-5)  ,  it says HFS1414, which differs from the bottom of the ad where it has H-FSA14140E-S  (the mark II) - a typo where they just left off a letter and a number? And added an "S'. I am curious because there is GBP100 difference in price!

I read on this forum that there were three versions of this lens, I always thought there was two. The cheaper one is grey and the more expensive one is black so I am wondering what the main difference is besides colour.

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, luminescence said:

I read on this forum that there were three versions of this lens, I always thought there was two. The cheaper one is grey and the more expensive one is black so I am wondering what the main difference is besides colour.

There is a slower one (f4-5.8) which is about half the price used as the new one.

https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Panasonic-14-140mm-F4-5.8-Mega-O.I.S-G-Vario_249079.html

yes I used to have that one, so wondering if there has been two versions since then.
Just answering my own question here, the two listed above are both 3.5-5.6, the original one is 4-5.6 - so there are three versions!

From their site the H-FS14140E9K is the original one. https://panasonicdirect.store.panasonic.co.uk/p-5508-panasonic-h-fs14140e9k-h-fs14140e9k-panasonic-lumix-g-vario-14-140mm-interchangeable-lens-black.aspx?psn=15

And the H-FSA14140E is the MarkII version: https://panasonicdirect.store.panasonic.co.uk/p-5689-panasonic-h-fsa14140e-h-fsa14140e-panasonic-lumix-g-vario-14-140mm-interchangeable-lens.aspx?psn=12

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, luminescence said:

yes I used to have that one, so wondering if there has been two versions since then.

Not that I'm aware of.

Amazon do have a used like new version of the Mark II from their own Warehouse deals for £504.78.

With their returns policy, I'd be tempted to get that one ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B07QH4WYBV/

see my post just now, it appears that there are three versions. Yes, saw the used one, tempting!

1st version:  F4-5.6     H-VS014140 - the original, weighs twice as much and a bit slower. Used versions on B&H and Amazon.
2nd version: F3.5-5.6 H-FS14140E9K - Panasonic LUMIX G Vario 14-140mm Interchangeable Lens - Black.
3rd version:  F3.5-5.6 H-FSA14140E -  Panasonic LUMIX G Vario 14-140mm Interchangeable Lens. (Mark II)

I have had them all. The best one I ever had was the Kit Lens one with the Matte finish that was sold with the G7. I would think that is the last version. You have to think why even bother revising it if it doesn't improve from the early ones. I really don't think Panasonic made a lens just to cheapen it and diminish quality. That is not their style. Tech improves.

For the money it is a true bargain for what it is capable of doing, all of them. It is a must have lens if you are traveling. If you are in doubt focal length wise stick it on and do it.

45 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

The best one I ever had was the Kit Lens one with the Matte finish that was sold with the G7. I would think that is the last version

I bought the G6 + 14-140mm kit (in the UK) some years ago - that lens was the F3.5-F5.6 Mk1 version i.e. the H-FS14140

As far as I'm aware, the main difference with the latest H-FSA14140 version is that it's dust/splash resistant, whereas the earlier versions are not.

Both the H-FS and the H-FSA versions are dual-IS/dual-IS2 compatible (see the compatibility list here - https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/dual_is.html ), so if you're not bothered about the dust/splash resistance, the H-FS version seems to be basically the same lens (and they turn up on the used market frequently).

As webrunner5 says, it's a really useful 'do anything' travel lens.

2 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I believe the mark II also adds dual IS 2.0 or whatever

Both of the 'F3.5-5.6' versions support both 'Dual I.S.' and 'Dual I.S.2' (with the latest firmware installed).

But only the G80/G81/G85/G9/G90/G91/G95/GH5 cameras support Dual I.S.2 - the GX8/GX80/GX85/GX9 don't (only Dual I.S.)

(Info from the official Panasonic lens/camera Dual I.S. compatibility list).

I received the lens from Amazon UK - in the latest box marked H-FSA14-140, with the manual inside marked the same. But the lens inside is not the right one! It has the previous 2013 version code stamped on it and the lens hood: H-FS 14-140 - as per the photo attached. So I guess I will have to send it back.

I spent alot of time trying to find photos of both versions on Amazon, Panasonic and B&H - and unfortunately there seems no way to distinguish them apart, they look identical with the writing on the outside and around the rim of the lens. There is no Version II that I can see stamped on the lens or photo of where the code is stamped.

So I am still not sure if I have the right lens or it has been somehow swapped in the Amazon warehouse. It was bought second hand as a return from a previous customer. It is in immaculate condition but appears to be the previous version.

IMG_20190810_120039_resized_20190810_120219951.jpg

Answering my own question here as I was hoping against hope that somehow it was the right lens. A photo here of H-FSA that shows the model number clearly stamped on the barrel, so am returning the H-FS to Amazon who are issuing a refund.

Here is a photo of the H-FSA box that the H-FS14-140 came in. Not a good experience of Amazon warehouse deals.

1564665368_IMG_1228297.jpg

IMG_20190811_053715_resized_20190811_053754959.jpg

IMG_20190810_120039_resized_20190810_120219951.jpg

21 hours ago, luminescence said:

I received the lens from Amazon UK - in the latest box marked H-FSA14-140, with the manual inside marked the same. But the lens inside is not the right one! It has the previous 2013 version code stamped on it and the lens hood: H-FS 14-140 - as per the photo attached. So I guess I will have to send it back.

I spent alot of time trying to find photos of both versions on Amazon, Panasonic and B&H - and unfortunately there seems no way to distinguish them apart, they look identical with the writing on the outside and around the rim of the lens. There is no Version II that I can see stamped on the lens or photo of where the code is stamped.

So I am still not sure if I have the right lens or it has been somehow swapped in the Amazon warehouse. It was bought second hand as a return from a previous customer. It is in immaculate condition but appears to be the previous version.

2 minutes ago, nigelbb said:

I would guess that the previous customer ordered the newest version then put their old lens in the new box & returned it to Amazon for a refund

On 8/6/2019 at 2:45 PM, OliKMIA said:

Be careful about this lens, some have a lot of micro-jitter issue due to the optical stabilization. The problem is widely reported on several Pana lens. Some got fixed via a firmware update. Not sure about this version now but just double check.

Should note that since then, Panasonic did another firmware update that enables dual IS. Have not tested lens ois or dual is since, I'm afraid.