Correct shutter angle on BMPCC when filming at 23.98

Kargento

Hello!

I just received my Blackmagic Pocket camera a few days ago, and I really love it.  I'm writing to get some information on which shutter angle to film at.  I'm shooting at 23.98, and I know that theoretically it should be a 180 degree shutter angle, but I remember reading some reports that 180 caused ghosting on the pocket camera when shooting at 23.98. I've read certain reports saying that 172.5 would be better.   Does anyone have a consensus on this?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

It depends what you're shooting and how, so there's no really any one particular ideal shutter angle.

If you shoot handheld with a lot of movement, 90 will cut a lot of the blur. I sometimes find handheld work at 180 too soft.

If you plan to use Twixtor for a slow-mo sequence, you ideally need 45 degrees at 30fps. Motion blur hurts Twixtor.

If you're filming sports or action go for the higher shutter speed / narrower angle like 45 or 90.

If you're doing a locked down sequence on a tripod with little movement, especially in low light, select 180.

If you're really desperate for light and nothing is moving very fast at all, choose 360.

http://vimeo.com/73534866

I guess it's splitting hairs.  I've actually gotten similar results on my BMCC 2.5k where 172.8 looks a little more traditional in the cinematic motion blur sense.  It's so close though, it could just be me convincing myself.  I don't believe I have an eye "that" tuned to tell the difference. 

• 8 years later...