DJI new mirrorless camera

wolf33d

This is the most exciting rumor from 2019. It seems as I was hoping that DJI will release a mirrorless camera. 

I am tired from all these Japanese camera crap company that give us 2010 technology at high price over and over again. 
DJI has been crazy innovating for years, they make the best drone with incredible cameras, the best gimbals, best action cam, .., When they enter the market with a new product it’s always the best.

They have given us 4K60 and 10 bits in 1inch sensor for years in super tiny cameras when Sony is not capable of doing so in a much larger RX100 in 2019. Ridiculous.

This camera could be a game changer with modern touch screen controls and ergonomics associated with clean aluminium body with a last gen Sony sensor and massive specs like RAW, 10 bits, 4K60P and so on. 

I wish DJI success and to shame all that Japanese crap on the market. Camera market has been shitting on us for years with no innovation at premium prices. Only small companies like Black Magic and few others innovate. 

Or could it be a rebadged X1D at a premium price lol? Hopefully not.

Let’s see.

https://photorumors.com/2019/08/02/rumors-dji-coming-with-a-mirrorless-camera-that-looks-like-the-hasselblad-x1d/#more-112221

FYI compared to the X1D there is a joystick, tilt screen and different speaker and button layout. Otherwise super similar. 
Also MF would be surprising as FF is much more popular and cheaper.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

They already have smaller sensors with the Inspire cameras, it wouldn't be surprising if they essentially took those and housed them in more traditional camera bodies. They already have all the tech and the capability to produce a far better app than any current camera manufacturer. The more the merrier.

Chris

I am tired from all these Japanese camera crap company that give us 2010 technology at high price over and over again. 

>>> We have so many options now for video, GH5, Fuji, Olympus, Black Magic, Sony, Nikon, etc. Plus drones and cheap gimbals. The situation is radically different than it was just 5 years ago. If we can't produce great video with all that, Japanese companies are not to blame.

DJI has been crazy innovating for years, they make the best drone with incredible cameras, the best gimbals, best action cam, .., When they enter the market with a new product it’s always the best.
>>> They did push the envelop for sure but some product were poorly supported and/or abandoned by this company. For instance the X5 and X5R. The Inspire 2 has its share of issues and the X7 haven't been pushed since the initial launch. Their ground gimbal are buggy as hell and the Osmo Raw was a joke in terms of usability and workflow. There is a lack of consistency with DJI. They changed their LOG curve many times and the forced updates tend to bring many problems. Finally, have you ever tried to get serious assistance from DJI customer service? Hint: they are not very helpful even when you spend big bucks with them.

They have given us 4K60 and 10 bits in 1inch sensor for years in super tiny cameras when Sony is not capable of doing so in a much larger RX100 in 2019. Ridiculous.

>>> The first 4k60 was on the Phantom 4 Pro and the image quality was quite bad thanks to line skipping. Also, drones offer the advantage of natural air flow for cooling, either from the propellers or the motion of the drone. The architecture is very different than a regular camera, most of the time the sensor and the processing units are not stacked against each other in a small body. The design and heat dissipation parameters are completely different.

This camera could be a game changer with modern touch screen controls and ergonomics associated with clean aluminium body with a last gen Sony sensor and massive specs like RAW, 10 bits, 4K60P and so on. 

>>> Why not, I wouldn't mind to see more disruption in this market. I own several DJI products and I would be open for more competition.

I guess more competition is always good. And DJI seems to have some superb drones. They have many things going for them. They just need to fine tune everything, improve customer service, and ensure that they listen to customers and extensively test the product before it hits the market.

They could put some of the best quality FF sensors into this, have superb IBIS and heat dissipation management, and use the extra saved spaces for much better processing. Hopefully a FF camera with some great firsts. 

12 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

>>> We have so many options now for video, GH5, Fuji, Olympus, Black Magic, Sony, Nikon, etc. Plus drones and cheap gimbals. The situation is radically different than it was just 5 years ago. If we can't produce great video with all that, Japanese companies are not to blame.

I am so tired of this absolute BS argument. First of all neither me or anybody at EOSHD has ever said we cant produce a great video with todays equipment. 
But because we can do great video with an iPhone and a 5D Mark II means we shouldn’t expect/need more????
Because a car from 30 years ago can perfectly take you from A to B means you do not want/need anything newer? 

Stop with that argument that is counter innovation. The fact is that the camera market lacks a lot of innovation.
We should have already a Full Frame camera with full modern touch screen interface, DPAF with AI, Raw video and 4K60P 10 bit no crop, IBIS, new sensor tech, in camera stills treatment and sharing on platforms without having the need to transfer anything. Why not video treatment as well? I have iMovie on my phone and can edit a full movie on it since years and share it in seconds in a device far smaller than any FF camera. Another proof the camera market is just far far behind. Compare the processor in a Sony, their BionzX Bulls*** versus Apple A12.  

The ones who try to innovate the most like BlackMagic are not the big players and have lower resources, hard to blame them much. 

Canikon are the most ridiculous, followed by Sony. Sony while innovating in some regards (or at least not practicing full crippling like Canon) forgets the basics like UI and ergonomics. They would invest 50 bucks a little boy in India he would probably do a better UI than they do today. 

But all of this is thanks to people like you, who gets satisfied with that situation and even defend manufacturers. And people like me, who complain but still buy their shit and give them no reason to invest in innovation. Wait a minute, isn’t the camera market fully shrinking since years now, isn’t that a reason to question a bit?? Oh no, because the reason it shrinks is the smartphones...... sure. 

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

I am so tired of this absolute BS argument. First of all neither me or anybody at EOSHD has ever said we cant produce a great video with todays equipment. 
But because we can do great video with an iPhone and a 5D Mark II means we shouldn’t expect/need more????
Because a car from 30 years ago can perfectly take you from A to B means you do not want/need anything newer? 

Stop with that argument that is counter innovation. The fact is that the camera market lacks a lot of innovation.
We should have already a Full Frame camera with full modern touch screen interface, DPAF with AI, Raw video and 4K60P 10 bit no crop, IBIS, new sensor tech, in camera stills treatment and sharing on platforms without having the need to transfer anything. Why not video treatment as well? I have iMovie on my phone and can edit a full movie on it since years and share it in seconds in a device far smaller than any FF camera. Another proof the camera market is just far far behind. Compare the processor in a Sony, their BionzX Bulls*** versus Apple A12.  

The ones who try to innovate the most like BlackMagic are not the big players and have lower resources, hard to blame them much. 

Canikon are the most ridiculous, followed by Sony. Sony while innovating in some regards (or at least not practicing full crippling like Canon) forgets the basics like UI and ergonomics. They would invest 50 bucks a little boy in India he would probably do a better UI than they do today. 

But all of this is thanks to people like you, who gets satisfied with that situation and even defend manufacturers. And people like me, who complain but still buy their shit and give them no reason to invest in innovation. Wait a minute, isn’t the camera market fully shrinking since years now, isn’t that a reason to question a bit?? Oh no, because the reason it shrinks is the smartphones...... sure. 

The lack of innovation is debatable. In the past 5 years only we had:

- Generalization of IBIS on many FF camera
- 10 bits video files or even beyond that
- Amazing and affordable lens selection from Sigma and other third part manufacturers  (samyang, tamron, etc.)
- Generalization of 4k and now 4k60
- Standardization of video assist features
- Cheap, effective, and easy to use 3 axis gimbals. I built my first gimbal for drone in the early 2010s and just settings the PIDs of the controller was an immense time consuming pain.
- Cheap drones everywhere thanks to DJI, Parrot and other brands like Autel, etc.

So, yes I'm a bit amused about this level of whining and hysteria. Yes, we should have a lot of stuff in life, I would love to get a "Full Frame camera with full modern touch screen interface, DPAF with AI, Raw video and 4K60P 10 bit no crop, IBIS" but it won't happen ever. Each companies has strengths and weaknesses, technologies protected by patents and we will never get the silver bullet camera with the best of everything. Even Panasonic had hard time to come up with 4k60 in full frame. The phone and the photo industry are two different animals, sales are on the low millions versus billions for smartphone in volume. Not even talking about the margin. It's not hard to understand that the level of investment won't be the same. But Sony UI is just plain stupidity, it just happens everywhere.

People like me denounced Canon conservatism many times in the past, just google my name and Canon, you'll find my articles, I even quoted Andrew there. But unlike a few years ago, Canon is no longer the only option so I just moved on,  I got the right tool for my needs and went out shooting. Incidentally,  I spent much less time on this forum crying about motion cadence, organic feel and other mundane stuff which are a bit irrelevant at this point. That said, I wish you the best of luck with your endeavor and your next video projects. Cheers.

6 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

The lack of innovation is debatable. In the past 5 years only we had:

- 10 bits video files or even beyond that
- Amazing and affordable lens selection from Sigma and other third part manufacturers  (samyang, tamron, etc.)
- Generalization of 4k and now 4k60
- Cheap, effective, and easy to use 3 axis gimbals. I built my first gimbal for drone in the early 2010s and just settings the PIDs of the controller was an immense time consuming pain.
- Cheap drones everywhere thanks to DJI, Parrot and other brands like Autel, etc.

I hear a lot of people complaining about a lot of things recently on the internet, then you just realize they are 14-24 years old, and it's on the internet!

I, too, am very happy with what I have seen in my life. Starting pro work at 1999, I seriously do not have much to complain when I can get a dual ISO speedboosted m43 camera with raw(even with a B in the front) and a perfectly fine, professional even, editing program for 1500€ and I can fly my own 10bit log 1" drone and stabilize my cameras and have computerized sliders and other such devices.

The horror of Adobe Premiere 15 years ago! 400 ISO was the absolute maximum, cameras and lenses cost an arm and half a leg, to shoot aerial production companies were flying actual planes.

It is good to have some perspective in life!

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I hear a lot of people complaining about a lot of things recently on the internet, then you just realize they are 14-24 years old, and it's on the internet!

I, too, am very happy with what I have seen in my life. Starting pro work at 1999, I seriously do not have much to complain when I can get a dual ISO speedboosted m43 camera with raw(even with a B in the front) and a perfectly fine, professional even, editing program for 1500€ and I can fly my own 10bit log 1" drone and stabilize my cameras and have computerized sliders and other such devices.

The horror of Adobe Premiere 15 years ago! 400 ISO was the absolute maximum, cameras and lenses cost an arm and half a leg, to shoot aerial production companies were flying actual planes.

It is good to have some perspective in life!

You ought to have tried to do this stuff 20 years ago or longer. You need to get on your knees and Genuflect. It was hard mode.

Not just FF, let's not forget we've now got IBIS widespread in MFT / ASP-C cameras as well! That simply wasn't normal 5 years ago.

Indeed, the last five to ten years has seen an explosion of affordable 3rd party options, many of which are pretty good! (thanks to 3D computer designing of lenses, rather than doing it the hard old fashioned way)

This combined with the smaller size of cameras thanks to the HDSLR/mirrorless revolution means we can pull off shots that were just not possible before without a very experienced/expensive steadicam operator and rig. 

We're so lucky now!

And while on the top of gimbals from drones.....  drones is another big amazing change we've recently witnessed! No need to hire expensive helicopters to get that shot you want. 

I still want to see waveforms become much much more common place, so far only the GH5/GH5S has this?

It's so crap, I ordered a second Fuji XT3 body yesterday for video so I can carry on making more crap wedding videos.

Actually, I'd be quite interested to see what DJI come up with as I love the look of the Hassleblad...just that its; too expensive and doesn't suit my needs anyway.

Further to this topic...

Yesterday, I was again wrestling with another wedding video, - trying to match up; Sony 1" camcorder static footage with Fuji XT3 footage with DJI Mavic/Pocket/Action footage...and there is little consistency and though in isolation the camcorder footage looks decent, compared with the XT3, it's garbage.

So I had a little word with myself and made the following decision and that is bar anything actually breaking, forcing me to replace it, instead of looking at what I might be doing next year and speculating on what new kit might be coming, I'd embrace what I have and make that work.

I shoot stills and video at the same time so ideally, having just one system would be best but as no single manufacturer makes 'everything', I have to use multiple brands.

I've pared it back to Fuji & DJI. Fuji as the principal and DJI for the aerial and backup.

The camcorder is going to be sold and I've ordered a second XT3 body to replace it.

For the rest of the year, I'm just going to shoot the Eterna profile only, so no Flog or HLG on the basis I can judge the exposure of the film profile far better in the real world conditions of often uber-bright sunny SW France and concentrate on my capture rather than having the kit and technology get in the way.

I'm planning on getting to know the set up as intimately as possible as I believe that is where the results will come from rather than the next latest and greatest.

So the BMPCC4K, the Sigma FP and the potentially new DJI et al all look great, but none of them are going to make me any better at my craft.

Maybe HLG next year, but for now I think the negatives outweigh the positives and consistency is the key.

Sorry for the ramble!

6 hours ago, Dunjoye said:

#gamechanger 

Yeah I have heard that buzz word so many times. 

The camera just like the phone game as peaked. Other than a few innovative features. Focus improvement and what not, It's nothing new to see here.

You can't be serious about Phones? What, you have a 5 year old one? The newest ones are amazing from nearly every manufacturer. My iPhone XS is a night and day difference from my X video and photo. The A12 processor in it is a Game changer. Some of the Chinese phones even have Raw in them, 40 + MP sensors, 3 or more lenses. These new ones are not toys by a long shot.

Sure for the average person a iPhone 4s still gets the job done. But we on here are weird people lol, we need different things normal people don't need. ?