Can it be really true, easy 10 bit?

1Ale82

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, kaylee said:

for folks, not ME ofc, who might not understand *exactly* why this is important in a practical way, maybe you could elaborate...?

I am not a tech geek and I will probably commit many errors  in this rough explanation, but basically Photoshop, Premiere (don't know about other programmes like DaVinci) in order to output 10 bit to a 10 bit monitor use the OpenCL interface and not the DirectX that many other softwares use. Common GPUs like the GTX or RTX series cannot work with the Adobe package in OpenCL and would only output in 8 bit. So even if you selected 10 bit in the software settings, on the monitor the image would still be 8 bit. To have a real 10 bit image you had to get a Quadro or FirePro graphic card, which more professional and not cheap.

I will try to get more info on this, but if this works out as advertised, it will mean you can have 10 bit images with many GPUs commonly found in many computers.

Or if you are building up your computer like I am doing now, it means that keeping the same level of performance, compared to a Quadro, you can get a cheaper card at half the cost. Or if you want to invest the same amount of money you can have a GPU with about double the Vram compared to a Quadro one of the same price.