Recommended SD card for 44mbs patch

jguk

@jguk
Thanks. For the 45MB/s I was somehow aware (but got a card here already for testing). But I'm quite disappointed that the Extreme Pro 95MB/s is not working. Is there a 95MB/s Extreme version (non-Pro)?

BTW: I did a short test with a Transcend Class 10 16GB and got the error message soon also, even at ISO 160, on a detailed scene.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I've redone the R/W card test with the Sandisk Extreme 64GB 45MB/s. Now using AJA System test on my studio desktop and a new Lexar UHS-I enabled reader. R:40MB/s W: 30MB/s. Of course this doesn't say anything about writing speed on the GH2.

[b]smon222/dtr:[/b] If your desktop/USB card reader has UHS-1 then surely any benchmarks are pointless?

OK if you want to compare cards against each other, but no indication of how they should or will perform in the GH2 as the relationship without UHS-1 may not be the same. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Having said that, I used an app called HD_Speed: http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=20 Instructions posted here, along with data collected from back in the GH13 days to present: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?217260-SD-SDHC-Card-Write-Speed-Tests

[b]niphot:[/b] your experience with the Extreme Pro 95mb/s card sounds ominous. I knew they had problems spanning with the ultra HBR hacks but I thought they where OK otherwise. Just a simple thing to check, did you format it in the camera? This thread has much info about the 95mb/s cards, even though they concentrate on the 64gb versions which seems to be the proven (though insanely expensive) winner: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1491/95mbs-sandisk-extreme-pro-spanning-reports-64gig-sdxc#Item_141

[b]jguk:[/b] are you sure about that? I know it won't span with Ultra HBR hacks, but surely it's OK to use otherwise, they're still the highest rated card SanDisk has to offer. niphot's experience doesn't sound good. Maybe I need to go through the above thread again.

I'm still in negotiations to return my Ultra Class6 30mb/s cards. Was shooting with one on the weekend and RAW+Jpeg caused me to miss quite a few shots, the camera couldn't clear the buffers quick enough. Ended up switching to Jpeg only.

©cray-
Thanks for your link. As you said it seems the consensus that the 64GB Extreme Pro (95MB/s) is ok.
Mine is a 16GB (expensive enough already). With the Cake 2.1 hack I get lockups as soon as I raise the ISO or move the camera fast on detailed scenes.
With Sanity 4.1 so far everything went ok. No lockups. But the data rate on this files (HBR, 25p) is only around 30 to 36mbits/s when I check them in Quicktime. But I prefer reliable recording for the moment.

[b]niphot:[/b] I would be most concerned about your 16gb 95mb/s card. Was it from a reputable seller? Or maybe just a production fault?

The reason I say this, last night I flashed my cam to Cake 2.1 to test with my cheap SanDisk Ultra Class6 30mb/s cards. With the 24p1080 24H setting (70mb/s in PTool from memory) it could only capture about 20sec at 1600ISO on a death chart before filling the buffers and locking up. But in 24p1080 24L mode (50mb/s) it was stable at 1600ISO for over 10mins (the filesize was about 3.5gb, need to let it run a few mins more to check for spanning).

Your card should [i]easily[/i] be able to capture 70mb/s with Cake 2.1, I'm sure the guys on Personal View are capturing much higher bitrates with the smaller sized cards even if they can't span. Something seems wrong with yours. Does anyone else have an 8-16-32gb 95mb/s card to confirm?

Also, try StreamParser to analyse your files, you can spit out nice summaries like this from my 24p2080 24L test above:
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/2ps366u.png[/img]

@cray- @dtr
Thanks for testing and help. Seller should be ok, a trusted source. I've downloaded StreamParser and will do some testing as soon as I get my recently ordered SanDisk 30MB/s (seem to be still on stock here). I'll post here as soon as I have some results.

[b]niphot:[/b] One other suggestion, try doing a low level format (Full Erase or Full Overwrite) with the SDFormatter tool from the SD Association. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

You may then need to perform a quick format in camera, but I have read reports of this helping cards in certain situations.

I have received the new cards. They are 45 MB/s, 32GB, Class 10, Sandisk Extreme SDHC (no more 30MB/s on stock). Initial tests were fine. No memory lockup with SPAN50, Cake 2.1, even Orion v4b did run smoothly (on 5 clips).
@cray- Thanks for suggestion. I will do a low level format as soon as I have some time.

©cray-
Thanks for the tip with low lewel formatting. I've used the utility and since then no more camera freeze.
I did some testing today. With low ISO now everyting went fine. I've used Cake 2.2, Orion 4B and Sanity 5 on the the 16GB Extreme 95Mbps Sanddisk.  I've also used the new 32GB Sanddisk 45Mbps Extreme card with Sedna 20Q and with ISO up to 1250 without any problem. Seems to be a good card at a reasonable price.