Best starter lens package

David Hirschfield

I'm starting a video production company. I've worked in the mainstream feature film and TV production industry for almost 2 decades. Although I've spent countless hours around shooting crews over the years but I am not a DP so am looking for input. 
I'll be shooting some industrial videos but mostly short (1-5 min) scripted content for online distribution. We'll have to move fast to make our days, monopods and handheld where possible. 

I'm thinking of buying two Canon 70D bodies and have options when it comes to lens packages to start with. I want the option to shoot two cameras, one wide, one tight. I don't like to zoom in camera but like the zooms because I can avoid lens changes during production. 

Option 1: Canon 50mm f1.8, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Canon 85mm 1.8 EF

Option 2: Canon EF 20mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f2.0, Canon EF 50mm f1.8, Canon EF 85mm 1.8 

Option 3: Two Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lenses and a Canon EF 85mm f1.8

I like option 2 because it's all primes but am thinking option 3 may be more efficient. I want to avoid manual focus pulling where possible and use the touch screen and focus capabilities of the 70D. I also have a SMC Pentax 50mm f1.4 with an adapter which is fully manual. 

I value any and all input.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I would go for 17-55mm efs 2.8 (a bit more tried and tested and highly thought of than the Tamron, it stays on my camera about 90% of the time) + 10-22mm EFS, these 2 lenses would have you well covered and you have the 3x digital zoom on the 70ds when you need to go long, and the 50mm prime for beauty shots, although 50mm on a crop sensor is quite tight..

another thought, you might consider for example 1x70d and 1x600d, and have the option of one camera with full magic lantern support.

If the price difference isnt big you could also consider picking the 70d kit with the basic 18-55mm lens, you never know when a silent focussing lens will come in handy and those 18-55s work pretty well

I would go for 17-55mm efs 2.8 (a bit more tried and tested and highly thought of than the Tamron, it stays on my camera about 90% of the time) + 10-22mm EFS, these 2 lenses would have you well covered and you have the 3x digital zoom on the 70ds when you need to go long, and the 50mm prime for beauty shots, although 50mm on a crop sensor is quite tight..

Another vote here for the Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS.  Image stabilization is great for hand held shots.  The 50mm 1.8 is about a $100 so no excuse not to get it.  The thing about the 17-55mm 2.8 IS is it isn't much slower than a lot of primes and it comes with IS.  I use mine all the time.  I only change lenses when I want to use my 50mm 1.4 for some really low light shooting.

If you look at your option 2 the Canon 17-55mm 2.8 is as fast as the 20mm prime you were looking at and almost as fast as the 35mm 2.0 prime.  Look at how much the 17-55mm 2.8 costs and then look at the combine price of those primes.

I have quite a few lenses that cost less than $100 but many never ever end up used, personally wouldnt necessarily buy the EF 50 because its cheap, but by all means if you think you might need a 50mm prime with AF you could give it a go.. I think youll find that image wise the Pentax will be much more pleasing thogh.. Just my opinion! 

let me start with the fact,that i think two 70Ds are terrible. but im gonna play your szenario:

primes should be used when you have time to build the set and the actors in it. the work you describe screams for zoom lenses. grab a 17-55mm and a 24-105mm.

what gave you the idea that primes are a good idea for run and gun szenarios? you need flexibility because your dops wont have time to take the extra steps to frame something nor the time to switch lenses.

For video, DO NOT go with Canon DSLRs. Switching to Panasonic GH series was the best decision I ever made for image quality. Just my 2 cents.

I second this. The 70D is just sub-par in terms of video quality you'll get out of it due to the codec. If you've got enough money for two of them, plus those lenses, then you've got enough money for better options.