G6 vs GH3 vs D5200 vs ?

dishe

The EVF and rear screen are 100x better than the GH2 - so I dont use a minitor at all -OLED screens - superb

Im using a 32GB sd card and thats 2 and a half hours recording AVCHD - so I have never charged a card while shooting yet!

If you use a 64gb card thas 5 HOURS of AVCHD recording

x2 crop factor for me is a bonus as all my C mount lenses work WITHOUT any vingetting like they did on my GH2

the Pentax 25mm f1.4 count cctv lens is Canon L series type sharp and costs £40 on ebay and does not vingette at all on the G6 - this is now one of my main lenses it is so good giving a Full frame field of view of 50mm

The reason why you want the GH2 sensor in the G6 is the way it renders detail so sharply with NO MOIRE at all - it is superb like the GH2 is

Interesting. Links to footage shot w/ that pentax?

All of the c-mount glass I've tried in the past were crap (even without the vignette), but I'm keeping an open mind here!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wondering what Andrew thinks about all this, honestly. He seems to really love the BM Pocket, even for non-RAW workflows since you can record to prores. But I'm thinking it may not be worth the smaller sensor and weird ergonomics, not to mention larger file size for those long sessions. 

::frustrated::

dishe dont buy a G6, youre clearly looking for reasons not to like it. if you need live hdmi, dont buy it. thats exactly what i meant when i said: compare GH3 and G6 features, if theres nothing you particually need that only the GH3 offers, than the G6 is a better buy.

im not gonna talk you into buying a G6, as i dont give a s**t what you buy. youre reasoning sounds a lot like you dont want to like the camera. and thats fine, but dont steal our time for giving you reasons to like it...

I'm not looking for excuses, I want to like the camera. But I want to hear legitimate reasons to pick it over other options, and quite frankly you guys are getting awfully defensive when I ask innocent questions. The thread wasn't about the G6, its about where I should go based on what I'm doing and what I'm used to. It says G6 in the title because it is an example of something that I think may be a good fit. Notice I also mentioned a Nikon and BMC camera, but didn't mention the Canon 70D or AC90. I'm looking for something in this class of camera. Let's be perfectly clear: I AM NOT ON THE OFFENSIVE. I'm looking for the real deal from people who have used some of the modern bodies, but what I'm getting in response sounds like a pep rally instead!

Its sort of like when shopping on Amazon, a smart buyer will click on the negative reviews first. I want to hear what don't people like about it, what's the worst case scenario- then work backwards from there. If the bad isn't so bad, and I think it is still better than other options available, I'll go for it. If someone just has nothing but glowing reviews about a product, you'll have to excuse my cynicism- I don't believe any product is THAT perfect. There's always a con!

I'm not looking for you to tell me which camera to buy, but rather looking for an intellectual discussion about the pros and cons. I'm happy the G6 works for you guys, and maybe it will work for me too. All I'm saying is help me make an educated decision because we all have different needs and expectations. Sorry if I rubbed anyone the wrong way, it wasn't my intention.

Its really not rocket science this -  there is no trick involved in this - I have better things to do , yes Panasonic have made a camera that is a vast improvement on the hacked GH2 and that was a very very good camera this whole forum was 'hacked GH2 central' 18 months ago

Ive used all the latest cameras and tested them and G6 wins hands down for what I do

its a very cheap priced camera and out performs cameras 4 times its price too (50p 1080 slo mo) so if you hate it resell it on ebay!

this does not have a to be a long drawn out process - I bought mine from Vitaily at personalview.com as soon as they came out and it has no recording limit on it ,  non of this EU 30min restrictions

I'm just going to go ahead and ignore Stefy's SPAM posting all over the forum for a moment and share something I didn't know 10 minutes ago-

Yes, HDMI out is disabled, but LIVE STREAMING to a Wifi or NFC device during recording works! This is something I recall the GH3 wouldn't do! You can even touch the screen to pull focus on your phone/tablet if the camera is out of reach. While recording. 

I have to see more tests to check how bad the latency might be, but this could be a workable alternative to having a real HDMI for monitoring off camera. There are quite a few phones/tablets with HDMI out as well, if the device's screen still isn't good enough!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so here's a new factor to take into consideration:

The GH3 is $799 right now at UniquePhoto:

http://www.uniquephoto.com/product/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh3-mirrorless-digital-camerablackdmc-gh3/

This puts it practically head-to-head with the G6 on price, which makes the whole "and all this for less money" no longer a no-brainer. Its down to feature-for-feature, which is more desirable: 

GH3 - built in audio monitoring, better codec and bitrates, HDMI out, more dynamic range and better build quality

vs

G6 - better resolution (less moire and aliasing), focus peaking, remote control and live streaming with wifi app (last I checked, the GH3 didn't support live streaming when recording)

Price difference isn't much of a factor anymore. 

• Administrators

GH3 is an amazing bargain for $799. The G6 is in the same league for image quality but it's great to have the high quality body and weather sealing. The HDMI out for recording is no better than internal codec but for monitoring works very well.

Did you see this comparison video in terms of the image? There's not a whole bunch of difference.

https://vimeo.com/70855765

GH3 is an amazing bargain for $799. The G6 is in the same league for image quality but it's great to have the high quality body and weather sealing. The HDMI out for recording is no better than internal codec but for monitoring works very well.

Did you see this comparison video in terms of the image? There's not a whole bunch of difference.

https://vimeo.com/70855765

I don't understand, are you trying to make my decisions harder or easier? ;)

Gh3 is a great deal for the money. G6 is not a whole lot different. But it has peaking and cleaner moire/aliasing. GH3 has audio and higher bitrates and build quality. G6 is compatible with my GH2 accessories (batteries, etc). GH3 has more wide spread support (popularity, other accessories, etc). 

::head explosion:: 

Andrew, we need a Non-RAW shootout! D5200, G6, GH3, heck throw in some Sony RX and whatever you have laying around that takes good quality without a crazy workflow and and unmanageable amounts of storage!

@dishe : GH3 is back up to $999; I just checked.

Yep, I heard. 

Doesn't really change things as far as I'm concerned- I know price is one of the reasons some folks went with a G6 over other options, but I'd like to know if people still feel that way if price weren't that different anymore. Seemed like an opportunity to hear more opinions about which camera would be preferable over which, and why. 

I mean aside from Andy. His opinion is quite well known around here- LOL!

I think the differences between both cameras are minimal, I ordered a G6.

By now you know the pros and cons of both cameras, noone can make that decision for you.

I'm not asking anyone to make my decision for me - I don't work like that. 

What I'm asking for, however, is more opinions from people who chose one over the other and why. Maybe some experiences- what irked someone about one that made them go for the other and vice versa. Andy has made his position abundantly clear (all over this forum, apparently!)- he loves the G6 and explained why. He feels that for his needs, it is superior to a GH3. It is unclear if he ever considered a Nikon or any other camera body, but why would he if he is happy with what he has and it is working for him.
His needs may be different than mine, and while we may not see eye-to-eye on what is important in a camera body, I very much appreciate that he took the time to share his experience and opinion. 

But he is just one person. I guess I was sort of hoping for some back-and-forth discussion here, or at the very least a chime in from someone who's opinions and standards are well established, like Andrew (why I came to this forum in the first place, rather than ask this on any myriad of other camera forums).

D5200 ,

Owned it for a while its value is well documented as are its low light capabilities.

In use I found the battery times to be better than I had expected and read. The image really is quite good .Its not flawless there can be some horizontal banding, which seems to be worse with "Flaat" profiles at higher iSOs. Its not something that happens in an irregular way if you push the exposure to the right with a low contrast profile areas may band. The work around for me is to not bother as much with low contrast profiles at high Iso and get it right in the camera.

The colours acceptable and accurate with perhaps a very very slight green cast , overall rich and vibrant but not too cooked. Usable right off the card , with nothing much to do in post if set up correctly. No moire or aliasing! Well very little. The rotating LCD is a huge bonus for me ,very handy.

I found the camera pans pretty well and flys on a steady cam with little jello unless you want to do whips. 

The limitation of the 20min per shot , didn't effect what I was doing. Turning off live view to change aperture not a huge deal for me, I do mostly use manual lens' but the switching back and forth isn't really that bad , I could never understand people who said that was a deal breaker for them? Or why it could be?? 

The real downsides? You can't dial in a kelvin temp ,although it has a work around by sampling an image. The HDMI out is NTSC only from what I have observed.  The Audio? Despite what I have read personally I think the preamps are pretty terrible even with an external mic although there are meters with no headphones out??? So it would be external audio all the way for me.

The Feel of it? The cameras grip is tiny and to me the whole thing feels a little cheap and fiddly, I know I can assign buttons but larger body cameras' have spoilt me a bit. Every other time I reach for the Iso button I detach the lens. Mind you the shorter body is lighter and more compact so that must make someone happy.

The camera is a very affordable over performer with the limitations of a camera that was designed with a consumer who wants to get into DSLRs in mind. The menus and the baked in presets are all geared towards that ends , It also happens to shoot really nice video when in the right hands. Despite the short comings I am about to purchase another two of them ,the image is really good and for under $600AUD its a no brainer.

I was debating gh3 or g6 after owning a gh2. I went with the g6 in the end as I think at some point next year i will upgrade to one of the future cameras (maybe gh4) so the g6 will see me through the next 6 months or so. I think the footage looks very similar off the 2 cameras so chose the g6 as over here in the UK its almost half the price. I like the camera and prefer the footage that comes off it to the gh2 (even when hacked) 

Over all i'm very happy with my choice and don't find the build quality too bad really. One of the reasons I went for the g6 was the focus peaking. I have never used it before getting the g6 and thought anything that aids focus would be a bonus. I have to say personally i'm not overly impressed with it. It doesn't alway show up and only seems to show on sharp edges which the subject you are filming might not have. Personal think having the higher resolution screen on the g6 is more of a focus aid than the peaking (over the gh2 that is)

I think the 'Small HD' focus peaking looks much more usable than the style on the g6. Maybe i'm doing something wrong or there is a setting I have missed.

G6 focus peaking seems to work best the sharper the lens is , its very good with my zeiss zooms, its there all most all the time very visable  , not too good on old softer legacy lenses

but it is a very use aid to have 'free' on the camera

I just leave it on all the time now + the EVF on the G6 is superb