GH5 vs A7iii vs a6400 Overheat Test

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

I love Peter Greggs channel and it was pretty interesting (even though expected) so I thought I would share it.
Its good to know that a couple of clouds was enough to save the Sonys. Finding shelter won't be doable for what I do in the summer but for some it of course is.
I wonder if an umbrella would be enough.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
31 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I love Peter Greggs channel and it was pretty interesting (even though expected) so I thought I would share it.
Its good to know that a couple of clouds was enough to save the Sonys. Finding shelter won't be doable for what I do in the summer but for some it of course is.
I wonder if an umbrella would be enough

but... but.... but....

We have heard so many stories, that the new Sonys do not overheat directly after them being released and influencer being flown to the presentation, does he really dare to say, that that still might happen?! ? 

The Panasonic cameras may seem big at the first look, but all of that size serves a purpose

That's why I hate Sony cameras. If they made their APS-C series in the form of a G9 or GH5-style body... without all the Sony issues (overheating, rolling shutter, color, IBIS not being that effective, poor ergonomics, prioritizing microsizing causing missing out on certain features/implementations, etc)... I might've been all about that. Such a shame they're just nightmares in real-life whilst looking so great on paper.

Then there's the whole lack of continuous development of dedicated compact APS-C lenses. See, shaving off a few mm here and there doesn't do much in terms of portability (it does hurt the amount of space inside to implement stuff, like making sure there's effective heat dissipation). But if you can have a smaller sensor then you can also keep lenses smaller and lightweight (and generally more affordable). But they've been neglecting their APS-C lens line-up for years and years now. So... what's the use when they say 'well, use our fullframe G Master series, APS-C or not, it's E-mount all the same! And you can start building your lens collection until you finally decide to come over to the darkside and shoot fullframe'. Thing is... I deliberately do not want to shoot fullframe. Especially seeing how far MFT has come. A GH6 will leave very little to wish for in terms of sensor performance. And although I could adapt lenses like the Nikon 'Bourne' ones, which are huge and chunky, I would have the option to use small stuff, like any of the f/1.7 primes and share the mount with an even smaller camera such as the GX80 (which might be small, but still is reliable).

And this Is one reason the A7SIII is delayed. 

How long before Sony takes down his video?

And to be fair to Sony if you select 'higher heat level" or whatever that is, it actually makes a big difference. The A7 III would have hit the 30 min record mark.

• Administrators

Having taken apart an A6500 before, I can see why Sony have such bad overheating issues.

Internal layout is a pile of pants.

They need to take a lesson from Panasonic & Sigma.

P7310022.jpg

P7310024.jpg

Very thin heat spreader on the processors and RAM.

No heat pipes.

Heat spreader backs onto the warm rear LCD, trapping the heat.

The Sigma Fp solution with proper heat sink sandwiched between the processor and screen but vents at the side in open air, not to the back of the screen, is much cleverer and shows you can still keep a thin, small camera, but manage heat effectively.

Laptops show you can have a thin design with heatpipes.

Sony just can't be arsed.

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The Sigma Fp solution with proper heat sink sandwiched between the processor and screen but vents at the side in open air, not to the back of the screen, is much cleverer and shows you can still keep a thin, small camera, but manage heat effectively.

Apples to oranges and you know it. One is a modular cam made for intricate rigging and one is a consumer hybrid shooter. You want vents, get a FS5/7.

Still sucks that these small bodies overheat, though. And it seems that very little progress has been made since 2015. Meike should have had made a grip with a fan included by now.

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What a masterpiece of thermal engineering ?

Indeed. Can't understand why they don't make a good weather-sealed bigger pro body. Are they afraid they will hurt their partners to who they supply their sensors?
So they just release small (not good weather sealed and overheating) concept bodies to show off their sensor technology?

11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

The A6500 is so thin body wise you can barely hold it. I am surprised it doesn't overheat in 1080p. It is an amazingly small body.

It is a terrible design with awful ergonomics and engineering. I would rather have any other small camera that exists.

I am recording 73 straight minutes on the NX500 on scorching Mediterranean heat and has never overheated to me.