Adventures in DIY video hosting Part 1

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Screenshot 2019-07-30 at 19.20.40.png

Screenshot 2019-07-30 at 19.20.32.png

As part of weaning myself off monopolies this month, I'm beginning to move EOSHD to self-hosting video embeds in reviews and blog posts.

The advantages have been pretty clear from today's experiment.

1. Poster frame / thumbnail quality much improved vs YouTube

2. Playback responsiveness better than Vimeo

3. No content ID claims to worry about

4. No advertising

5. No Vimeo DMCA hell to worry about

6. Files stay safe and under your control

7. No YouTube comments

So I am serious about doing this full time now after the first experiment today for just a few hours.

Unfortunately the server burned through nearly 1GB per minute while the video was up... and that's just one video, in one article!!

It could easily amount to over 10-20TB per month for a site like this.

I'm looking at Amazon S3 file storage.

But cannot make head-nor-tale of the pricing calculator.

https://calculator.s3.amazonaws.com/index.html

Potentially it could be cheap.

Let's suppose 100GB of space, 10TB per month of bandwidth served... The price I got was $20 per month but I probably didn't enter something correctly. Seems too low for me.

For regular users, it shows what a good price Vimeo is... Even if they suck.

And I can't even begin to imagine how much bandwidth YouTube sucks out of the internet. Save the planet!!! Turn it off!!

On the Wordpress side, I am using a nice HTML5 player plugin, which scales the embed automatically to the page width, provides a cute little download button for the original file, and even converts the video to different resolutions allegedly and supposably uses HLS buffering... whatever that is.

The foundations to making our own Vimeo are right here my fellow EOSHDers.

Just need to make it cost effective.

Maybe a subscription like Vimeo will help me launch it in a bigger way, and not just for myself and my own embedded videos.

PS - Does anyone know why YouTube's thumbnail is so badly compressed and low-res? How do I change it so it uses the high res poster frame?!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Always wondered about Backblaze myself. They're claiming 1/4th of the Amazon S3 File Storage costs...

https://www.backblaze.com/b2/solutions/media-and-entertainment.html

Apparently they were at NAB too: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/what-not-to-miss-nab2019/ .

They've been on my radar since they've started posting annual hard drive (failure rates) statistics (2018: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2018/ ).

• Administrators

Ha. It's a non-starter. No home connection would be good enough even fibre, and fair-use bandwidth would be too limited. Upstream is too slow. And server would be very slow to communicate with some parts of the world internet backbone too, and when you start playing Fortnite, even worse :)

On 8/1/2019 at 6:12 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Ha. It's a non-starter. No home connection would be good enough even fibre, and fair-use bandwidth would be too limited. Upstream is too slow. And server would be very slow to communicate with some parts of the world internet backbone too, and when you start playing Fortnite, even worse :)

you might want to practice fortnite a bit more. some 16 year old kid won like four million dollars  a couple of days ago  imagine what that could get you ?