DJI Osmo action or iPhone as g7 b-cam

Shell64

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't really think any camera is going to match your G7. Not even other Panasonic cameras. Maybe a GH3 would be the closest. Although I hated my GH3. The CS before the G7 was more wonky and more Cinematic. The CS in the G85 and above is different also. Better in most peoples eyes. More toward Canon CS. The GH4 was just a total odd duck as far as I am concerned CS wise. I hated it so bad I Never considered buying one.

I have had, and still do have the latest Apple iPhones, and Maybe the Apple X might work. But not the new XS I have. It is Way better than the X, and would not come close to matching the G7. The XS is more Olympus looking than Panasonic looking. The XS is amazingly good for a Phone. But I think most all of the latest ones are getting great also. They have Really advanced in the last generation. Once they perfect folded optics, or even have 4 or 5 lenses in them game over. They are close now to that. Some even have 4 or 5 lenses now but maybe not perfected good enough yet.

Yeah I think the DJI Osmo Action might work, that and a GH3. That's my 2 cents lol.

I use all DJI products as my 'B' cams:

Mavic Air, Action and pair of Pockets.

The Air does the aerial stuff, obviously.

The Action sits on the hotshoe of my XT3 and only gets switched on entrances/exits or anything with any kind of real movement at weddings and acts as both the wide and the back up to the 50mm I mostly shoot with.

The Pockets go on lightweight lightstands and really are only for backup purposes during ceremonies & speeches in case there is a blocking issue with the principal camera.

The principal reason all DJI is that they are easy to match up footage.

The Action is really good but you have to bear in mind 3 factors:

A. It's very sharp and you currently cannot turn that down.

B. It's pretty wide.

C. The Pockets have better low-light capability but much more fiddly to use.

Depends what you want/need to achieve but maybe another (used?) G7 body is a better option?

• Super Members

Bear in mind that the LX100 doesn't have Cinelike D so you will have to use the regular profiles on both if you want to match to your G7.

The fixed screen may or may not bother you as well.

Its a great camera and at the price they go for its a complete bargain but make sure you are comfortable with using a different profile on both before you commit.

If you are set on the LX100 then it will be worth checking out @Andrew Reid's Pro Color for Panasonic as this would provide a route to a common profile between the G7 and LX100.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its a great camera and at the price they go for its a complete bargain but make sure you are comfortable with using a different profile on both before you commit.

If you are set on the LX100 then it will be worth checking out @Andrew Reid's Pro Color for Panasonic as this would provide a route to a common profile between the G7 and LX100.

The 2 options to start with, were an action cam and and a phone. Fixed screen-no cine profile either.

LX at least is a real camera with a big-ish sensor.

• Super Members
1 minute ago, Kisaha said:

The 2 options to start with, were an action cam and and a phone. Fixed screen-no cine profile either.

LX at least is a real camera with a big-ish sensor.

I've lost track of all the simultaneous conversations about this G7 to be honest so was answering the right question in the wrong thread or the wrong question in the right thread.

31 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I've lost track of all the simultaneous conversations about this G7 to be honest so was answering the right question in the wrong thread or the wrong question in the right thread.

Sorry I should’ve kept it to one. Will do so in the future :)

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The point was going to the op to be honest..my detaste for smaller sensors is very well documented, especially when we have so many and cheap bigger sensored cameras I just can't see the point going for a fraction of the sensor size and for probably more money (newer iPhones are super expensive anyway and the Osmo is like 399$?).

Now, if the op needs a phone, or an action camera, that's something else.

Yes the idea behind a phone is it could also serve as an upgrade to my iPhone 5s while being a wide-angle b-cam. In the end then it would save me money and filmic pro log v2 does really good in terms of dynamic range. 

2 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, it's a little bit of an abundance opening so many similar threads, should've just stuck to one. xD

I know my bad :)  My first posts had to be verified and the first g7 thread wasn’t verified my a moderator so I opened a second and here we are. I’ll keep it to one thread if you all want to move this discussion to the one with 5+pages.