The medium is the message / AMUSED TO DEATH

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

And the music..we had Seattle, we had Bristol, we had Madchester and the warehouses at Brixton!

And now we have a hip hop wannabe gangster with a monotonous drum machine and a vocoder.

3 minutes ago, Patrick B. said:

@Andrew Reid I was reading this and immediately started thinking about "The Disappearance of Childhood".  I was about to mention the parallels until I realized it was Neil Postman who also wrote that!

I better get on and read this one first :) Have only just started. Roger Waters (Pink Floyd) has an album called Amused to Death. I highly recommend listening to that while reading the book. That's even more light summer holiday content for the masses that is ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Andrew Reid ahh ok interesting.  Will have to check that album out.  

If I remember correctly, part of the thesis in his other book is centered around how television has contributed to kids growing up faster, while also creating adults that have a more childlike maturity.  He talked about how, prior to television, most knowledge was acquired through reading books.  This created a kind of built-in barrier to acquiring knowledge of certain things, and therefore you kept your ignorance longer.  TV and visual media has eroded or removed that barrier.

I know there's more to the book, but that's the bit I remembered.

• Administrators

Sounds interesting. I will hop on Amazon and see if they have it.

I remember the time when I just wanted to turn off every screen and every light in the house and read a book by candle light, to help my sleep.

I did so, and then immediately discovered I had no candles.

So what did I do... I went on Amazon for candles.

Then 2 hours later I was still there.

So much for the dark hours.

How about everyone on here getting off their Fucking ass and go outside instead of on the Web all day, and maybe do some Charity work instead of listening to Pink Floyd! Might be a novel idea. Believe it or not I do. Anyone on here that can afford to do this shit owes something to Humanity. They are a LOT luckier than a lot of people. End of Rant.

All misfits and crazy people have a place now with the internet and its not going anywhere. Internet is a saving grace for a ton of people though. Easy to look down on it when you live in a first world country where the thing you worry about is some dumb teenager making a prank video.

Ethan is cool but he gives a lot of publicity to jack asses like Ethan Bradberry. Most wouldn't know about him without H3H3's videos. Like everyone else he's trying to make money. If the most we have to worry about is Ethan Bradberry I think the world isn't too bad off.

16 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

What will they talk about on their channel though?

The vast majority of the interesting YouTube content is based on people knowing something (whether it be it making films or making pies) and then sharing or showcasing that knowledge.

That knowledge is largely derived from the good old fashioned pursuit of having a hobby and I'm just not seeing that same interest in doing that from either my younger relatives or in general from their peers.

If their only hobby is watching YouTube then the whole thing is going to eat itself pretty quickly if that is the only thing they know about to make content about !

It will become Meta Meta Meta Meta Meta Meta very very quickly!

YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about YouTubers about.....

• Administrators
5 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

All misfits and crazy people have a place now with the internet and its not going anywhere. Internet is a saving grace for a ton of people though. Easy to look down on it when you live in a first world country where the thing you worry about is some dumb teenager making a prank video.

Ethan is cool but he gives a lot of publicity to jack asses like Ethan Bradberry. Most wouldn't know about him without H3H3's videos. Like everyone else he's trying to make money. If the most we have to worry about is Ethan Bradberry I think the world isn't too bad off.

It's not a first world problem, they have the same problem in the third world as well, a casual acceptance of people like Bradberry...  which has got us to this point.

H3H3's response is exactly the fight back that's needed. Not like they weren't famous in the first place anyway. Jake Paul had far more subscribers than H3H3. Parodying them is ok, it's satire, the subtext is - look at these psychopath jackass idiots and how deluded they are and that they don't deserve any respect whatsoever.

Another thing I have noticed is that if someone doesn't like the behaviour of an idiot in public, or if they're being anti-social, and they call them out for it - the snobbery card comes up. "You're just a snob, don't tell us what to do"... If for example, I told @thebrothersthre3 to stop watching anti-social idiots for his own entertainment on YouTube and to instead read a book, I'm sure he'd think I was being a first world snob... When actually, it's fucking good advice.

2 Timothy 3:1-4 (ESV) 1 But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. 2 For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, 4 treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God,

For many, the situation our world finds itself in is not a surprise. Still sad though. 

Jesus is the answer my friends. 

John 16:33 (ESV) I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."

By the way @Andrew Reid, this is the second time in a week I’ve heard about this book, which is interesting for a book over 30 years old. I think I’m going to take the plunge.

Man looks up on a yellow sky
And the rain turns to rust in his eye
Rumors of his health are lies
Old England is dying
His clothes are a dirty shade of blue
And his ancient shoes worn through
He steals from me and he lies to you
Old England is dying
Still he sings an empire song
Still he keeps his navy strong
And he sticks his flag where it ill belongs
Old England is dying
You're asking what makes me sigh now
What it is makes me shudder so well
I just freeze in the wind and I'm
Numb from the pummelin' of the snow
That falls from high in yellow skies
Down on where the well loved flag of England flies
Where homes are warm and mothers sigh
Where comedians laugh and babies cry
Where criminals are televised politicians fraternize
Journalists are dignified and everyone is civilized
And children stare with Heroin eyes
Old England!
Evening has fallen
The swans are singing
The last of Sunday's bells is ringing
The wind in the trees is sighing
And old England is dying

This is one of my fav poems... by Mike Scott from that gem-song up there : -)

That said, hope no one may wonder if happens to ever be related to the country with same name : D

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's not a first world problem, they have the same problem in the third world as well, a casual acceptance of people like Bradberry...  which has got us to this point.

H3H3's response is exactly the fight back that's needed. Not like they weren't famous in the first place anyway. Jake Paul had far more subscribers than H3H3. Parodying them is ok, it's satire, the subtext is - look at these psychopath jackass idiots and how deluded they are and that they don't deserve any respect whatsoever.

Another thing I have noticed is that if someone doesn't like the behaviour of an idiot in public, or if they're being anti-social, and they call them out for it - the snobbery card comes up. "You're just a snob, don't tell us what to do"... If for example, I told @thebrothersthre3 to stop watching anti-social idiots for his own entertainment on YouTube and to instead read a book, I'm sure he'd think I was being a first world snob... When actually, it's fucking good advice.

The Internet provides a ton of solutions to many problems for many people. You can choose to focus on the bad part of it. YouTube is also a very useful tool. Entertainment is really meant to appease our more animalistic senses. We could all just be monks but where is the fun in that. Of course some amount of balance is the key. You can be very intelligent and still enjoy stupid comedy. What you enjoy laughing at isn't really a choice.

Ethan doesn't only pick on big channels. Ethan Bradberry's channel is nothing in comparison to H3H3. We are talking 35 thousand views compared to over a billion on H3H3, and that doesn't include there podcast and vlog channel. Ethan from H3H3 has said his videos are mostly entertainment and not meant to be malicious and that can be seen when he has people on his podcast. I'd say this is true for most people with the exception of a couple people like Jake Paul which he clearly strongly dislikes.

Its a fail your way to the top world on youtube. Do something stupid, people give it attention, and you get more views.

Regardless the world has always been a terrible place. We have more resources now to live in comfort and peace than ever before. That's only a good thing in my book. Its pretty easy to forget about the internet when you unplug and spend time with working class people. Most people are just working working working to get by like its always been.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The Internet provides a ton of solutions to many problems for many people. You can choose to focus on the bad part of it. YouTube is also a very useful tool. Entertainment is really meant to appease our more animalistic senses. We could all just be monks but where is the fun in that. Of course some amount of balance is the key. You can be very intelligent and still enjoy stupid comedy. What you enjoy laughing at isn't really a choice.

Missing the point, much?

All you can blabber on about is how entertained or not you are.

The real issues is ethical. Embarrassing people in a coffee shop prank to further your egotistical little immature youtube channel, for instance, is an unintelligent psychotic thing to do and if you get a kick from it, if you laugh and you don't get a bitter taste in the mouth, you need to seriously look in the mirror, and not just at yourself but at your country and your culture.

Its a fail your way to the top world on youtube. Do something stupid, people give it attention, and you get more views.

Oh that makes it ok then! Tell it to the girl who thought she was on the verge of a rape and will remember that particularly salty 'prank' for the rest of her life.

But it's ok because Bradberry is failing his way to the top of the media world.

It's ok, a glittering YouTube career awaits and massive influence over youth culture.

Wonderful.

Its pretty easy to forget about the internet when you unplug and spend time with working class people. Most people are just working working working to get by like its always been.

I don't know what that has to do with YouTube or idiots like Bradberry at all.

People from all social classes work hard. It doesn't come down to class, it comes down to how hard you work.

Some are doing more positive work than others, that much is pretty fucking evident.

And some people have much less tolerance for unethical bullshit than others as well.

Not everything is bad on internet... Imagine that, without it, I wouldn't have found this one taken a week ago on Fuji Rock Festival : D

EDIT -- Sorta self-service.

I don't know exactly how to call it right now in English once when I was studying it at an academic level, the terminology in my native Portuguese language was used as "saberes formais" e "saberes não formais". I guess something as 'informal knowledge' and vice versa by the reverse order. The world is leading to there. People at the academic level discuss if school/college/university, i.e. the academy won't drastically change once and forever. Perhaps at a point if won't disappear, will be replaced for places such as EOSHD forums or alike, no kiddin' : ) where knowledge may flow. The whole point is the self-regulatory role of these new communities able to serve a common and higher purpose for the benefit of all on behalf of the traditional chains of information.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Not saying everyone and everything is bad on the internet.

Try to focus Emmanuel. Try to focus on the topic.

The tangents and poems are charming but I wish for once we could keep things on topic!!

Of course, Andrew, you're only focus in some good approach. I really think that Mike's song/poem reaches your concern. Not exactly my last post now also 'cause I was editing and had to answer a phone call in the meantime... LOL

I will finally end to edit it and leave the leftover to another thread anyway.

Do you remember that thread on Deleuze's thinking applied to the contemporary man? It's all about that, the rhizome times we all live in.

This asks the best from us on skills to select and refine in order to make ours the good seeds for next ones to come. Not everything goes bad, after all. Kudos for this one, that's good food for thought : )

Content edited up there now, sorry for the delay and incomplete draft on what actually was my prior intention : -)