Iscorama 54

denko89

The Iscorama 54, how many parts does it consist of?
From what I seen on pictures before and people selling the lens on ebay, some are 1 part and other have 2 parts? Do you really need the 2 parts in order to shoot with it with a taking lens?

Cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Its just a big anamorphic adaptor, which you'll need to attach to a taking lens - its not an all-in-one lens (not sure were you got the idea it was in 2 parts).

It is heavy (all metal, not plastic) & will need lens support/rods (as Rudolf mentioned), but it has the most character of all the Iscoramas. 

Hi Bioskop I am interested in you experience: Why do you think has the 54 more character? Does this depend only on video? When I compare two images from Iscorama (Exakta) and my old 54 (non MC) it is very hard to see a difference (with the same taking lense of course) Maybe the small Isco is very, very, very little bit sharper in the edges (did I say very?) Color is the same. Maybe 54 has very little bit less contrast or preserves is a little bit more light. I think I can use both side by side and you can see a difference.

But maybe this depends on pixelpeeping? I don't know so much about this...  :)

i think bioskop may have my isco 54 it was an ex nasa lens from white sands air base army surplus.
one of the last iscorama made and a match for many hollywood scope optics in resolution terms.
better made than the technovision optics used on that brando martin sheen vietnam movie.
it was probably never used so perfect condition tiny bit of dust inside a beauty very modern no lo fi retro feel here.
it is like if leica made an anamorphic it would be like that lens super high res nicely corrected pure quality.

i think bioskop may have my isco 54 it was an ex nasa lens from white sands air base army surplus.
one of the last iscorama made and a match for many hollywood scope optics in resolution terms.
better made than the technovision optics used on that brando martin sheen vietnam movie.
it was probably never used so perfect condition tiny bit of dust inside a beauty very modern no lo fi retro feel here.
it is like if leica made an anamorphic it would be like that lens super high res nicely corrected pure quality.

You have a good memory, sir!

And yes, its a beauty, in perfect condition, which produces stunning images - not too sharp, but not soft, just the perfect resolution (I think the MC helps?). 

I much prefer it to the 36 i had, it actually feels like a lens (just the right amount of weight) & not some plastic toy.

And, you can use it with a wider variety of lenses.

To me its the perfect Anamorphic - it has done me proud when filming or taking pictures.

Very interesting Tony and congrats Bioskop for being an owner of such a great and unique piece!

Seems yours is very different from mine: Usually the people want the lenses without MC... I also like my 54 very much. But I hate the weight. I absolutely do not agree that the small thing is a plastic toy. Mine feels very solid and well made. Everything is super precise, fluid and smooth. It feels much better than a new Panasonic plastic lens - even than the 35-100 I owned. Maybe I am not strong enough or maybe I love to be more flexible!

I'm considering the idea of selling my Isco54 and using part of the cash to pay for VanDiemen's rehousing on my pre-36.

The 54 I have isn't nasa, and I very much prefer the image results I get on the 36.

Anyone strongly advises me not to do it? (I'm looking for second,third, etc, opinions)

a rehouse will get you a couple of hundred grams less than a 54.

i now believe the rehouse needs a support i was recently doing some tests with a director at ridley scotts company in london and the rehouse weight made me nervous without support.

the external components on the original isco 50 and 36 are not the issue it is the restrictions on the compact internals.

the 54 and 42 are much more robust big leica style brass helicoid.

the isco 36 suffers from freezing or seizing up of focus not an issue if you get a bernie o service.

using a rehouse just on the screw thread connection is crazy i think.

54 get's a bad rap bad alignment crummy quality servicing and folks shooting weird tests with shit plastic ashpheric zoom lens which introduce horrible distortions.

In the end its all a matter of taste & there's no right or wrong when it comes to what you like.

If i'd known about the VanDiemen rehousing when i had a 36, i'd probably have done it just to make it bigger & stronger.

However, it still leaves the issue of the 36 not being so versatile with a variety of possible taking lenses - i'm thinking future proofing here.

I really do think that the MC on a 54 does produce a better quality image than its non-MC version & flares...well i kicked that habit ages ago in favour of out of focus creamy loveliness.

@frerradans - you'd get more $ for your pre-36 than you'll ever get for the 54 (Bad Rap Syndrome), but its not all about money & in the long run you will regret selling the 54. I don't miss my 36 (there's too much hype surrounding this lens), but strangely enough regret selling my Sankor 16D & consequently am hanging onto my Kowa B&H for photography.

If you want an Iscorama, then the 42 is probably the elephant in the room & always has been - but good luck finding one.

I've only tried one once & well, it felt like i was in another world completely!

I'm considering the idea of selling my Isco54 and using part of the cash to pay for VanDiemen's rehousing on my pre-36.

The 54 I have isn't nasa, and I very much prefer the image results I get on the 36.

Anyone strongly advises me not to do it? (I'm looking for second,third, etc, opinions)

Before rehousing I'd check up that recent thread about vignetting and Iscorama 36, where he has issues using wider lenses (which are fine on a normal Iscorama) due to him not being able to mount lenses as close after his rehousing. Might suit you, but that would certainly be a dealbreaker for me.

Edit: this thread: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/3474-great-taking-lenses-for-fffx-iscorama/

Before rehousing I'd check up that recent thread about vignetting and Iscorama 36, where he has issues using wider lenses (which are fine on a normal Iscorama) due to him not being able to mount lenses as close after his rehousing. Might suit you, but that would certainly be a dealbreaker for me.

Edit: this thread: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/3474-great-taking-lenses-for-fffx-iscorama/

i a making 2 new screw adapters for the small isco 36 type one split in 2 parts so using one part you much closer optic to optic coupling.
the other a very posh screw thread system that you can wind the 52mm thread in towards the isco or out towards the taking lens.
you can change the optic to optic relationship difference in a pretty big range giving you super close distance or standard distance.
quickly changing adapter position depending on your taking lens.

you can also use this the adapter to change orientation another issue with old isco is the internal orientation system can get rough or difficult or sometimes uncouples over time 

@Bioskop

Being honest, I'm almost completely out of the video and photography world. Anamorphics are the only thing keeping my camera alive! So, I'll be happier with the smaller gear I can get. I'll do some extra research about the rehousing too.

A lot of lenses and close ups and lenses should leave my place soon (and I will avoid creating thousands of threads here with this purpose hahaha) :P

@tony

I'm interested in this new adapter! Please tell me when it's ready. :)

SUPER CHEAP ISCORAMA 54 GOING
http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/8372/slr-magic-anamorphot-133x-50-/p3

P13DM SAYS HE WILL SWAP his isco 54 FOR AN SLR MAGIC anamorphic.
sounds good to me but could be a marketing ploy : )
boris the talented software hacker owner of that site keeps deleting my messages have asked pm13dm to email me.
if that person is on here pm me for a trade.
if he does not want to deal with me
someone should get a good deal if the isco is not wrecked.

@bioskop i think you re right with the 42: i know an experienced super-8 guy and he also said the 42 is the sharpest
The 54 is very sought after by super 8 filmmakers as it is great for most vario lenses.
The small isco is perfect with the 10mm leitz macro cinegon - that is the peak in super 8! And therefore it is great to have the small isco like it is:
Lite and small (the cinegon is a small lens).
That is why i use both and they play nicely together.

@tony i am very interested in your new clamps!!! I am habing a hard time waiting for some unique gear beeing made here in hamburg...

a new capitalist revolution my friend i pay you to take my tin products and i thank you as well.
how dare you call it a clamp it is a screw on adapter.
it is the curvy scarlett johanhanssonson of the clamp i mean adapter world.
scarlet from a few years ago when she was in japan with bill murray.
my adapters will be young un fresh .

not like dog tired  brad pitts and angelina jolly smokin bong dope stoned with 20 kids running around a french chateau .

fresh and sleek like young scarlett of old : )

@Bioskop

Being honest, I'm almost completely out of the video and photography world. Anamorphics are the only thing keeping my camera alive! So, I'll be happier with the smaller gear I can get. I'll do some extra research about the rehousing too.

Well, i was nearly at that point recently, but got pulled back in & started to enjoy filming things again - anamorphic or spherical.

Guess you've got a shed load of stuff & i agree if you're clearing house keep the smallest/best thing, but just remember that there aren't a huge number of 54s about, so don't let it go cheap.