Rode Wireless Go - A Warning

MrSMW

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I had no problems on a bunch of shoots with this unit until this past week where I was shooting with a set of seinheisers and rodes. They did not play together well. Lot's of dropouts. Luckily I was monitoring everything so I managed. Maybe you had interference from something else?

• 1 month later...

I just bought the rode wireless go. At first I was so thrilled with that purchase. So easy to set up, built-in mic could be useful, tiny package... But then I tried different mics with the transmitter and they almost all had severe hissing issues !

I tried a few lav mic (on the cheap side I must say). And also tried the Rode videomic pro just to test it out... Also lots of hissing noise... It could make the rode wireless go unusable. It's funny how little reviews talk about what I consider an absolute deal breaker for that kind of product ! (only Caleb Pike on dozens of reviews)

So far I had better result with a cheap movo mic ( some kind of rode videomicro) and a lav mic that was battery powered. Maybe you can get better results with the sennheiser lav mic but then why not purchasing the whole sennheiser kit. I just saw the CVP sale, that was some great bargain !

I ordered another lav mic, not too expansive. If it has hissing noise issue, I'll sadly send my rode wireless go back and maybe purchase the sennheiser kit (which looks more pro to me).

Did you have similar hissing experience with your rode ? Do you have lav mic that works well with the rode (not too expansive) ?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys !

Another bad experience with the rode wireless go... I finally found a cheap lav mic that has no hissing issue (the purple panda lav mic) so I kept using the rode wireless go for the moment (I think I'll switch to sennheiser either just for the lav itself or the complete package). I hadn't use the unit for a while and had an interview today. So yesterday night I turned on the receiver and the transmitter to check their battery levels. The receiver had a hard time turning on. I plugged it on AC and it worked. Then the levels displayed were fine on both (like 75%). So I thought it was enough for a quick interview (I know, lazy mistake). And today, the receiver unit died on me after the first take !

Two problems here : first, the unit displayed an almost fully charged battery for the receiver (did it drain at night ? or did it display a wrong level ?). Second, why would the receiver drain faster than the transmitter (faulty unit ?!). Maybe it's a user error. I'll do more tests in the days to come. Two jobs, and I don't feel 100% confident with the rodes. Thankfully, I had a spare mic with a very long cable that I plugged directly on camera...

26 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Those Purple Panda lavs are really great for the price!

I'd definitely reach out to Rode. That's unacceptable. 

Yes they get the job done for low budget jobs :)

And I'll do some more tests before reaching out to Rode but I'll definitely do it if it happens again.

• 5 weeks later...

So after further investigation, I can say that my receiver unit drains power quicker than the transmitter unit. When I don't use them for a certain period of time, I can't seem to power on the receiver unit but the transmitter still has like 50% of its charge... And the only way I can power the unit back is by plugging it to AC. Once I plug it, it tells me it has 50% like the transmitter unit. But after a minute or so of usage, the receiver shows its true battery level and dies !

This behavior is quite weird. Has anyone experienced the same thing ? The receiver draining the battery quicker, or not holding its charge while not in use.

As the sennheiser xsw-d dropped in price, I bought one. I thought the build quality would be better (it looks more professional to me though, especially with the locking jack), and the thing would be heavier. Anyway, if I had one real complain it would be the noise floor of the lav mic they provide in the kit. I find it not very quiet. Do you guys also have the sennheiser kit ? What do you think about their lav mic ?

I'd be very curious to hear about your experience with both sets (and if you have the same battery "issue") !