Rode Wireless Go - A Warning

MrSMW

2 sets, 4 jobs, 4 failures, so I have returned for a refund via Amazon.

I don't want to diss Rode as I use other audio equipment from them and had really high hopes for this system, but it's let me down several times now over the last few weddings.

Whether connected to camcorder, or Fuji XT3 or Sony recorders, I haven't had a single seamless ceremony or set of speeches.

The final straw was this weekend, direct line of sight, indoors, under 20 metres/60 feet and the end result was again incomplete.

Even at 10 metres/30 feet with the transmitter in grooms pocket and lav mic on lapel, - intermittent result.

I have 2 sets marked up A and B and it's happened with both so either I have been incredibly unlucky, or the system is not flawless.

Whatever the case may be...and as above, no intent to slag Rode, but I can't rely on this system so next weekend going back to Sony recorders, lav mics + shotgun mics and Pluralize.

Just a heads up and for anyone using the system, make sure you have a back up audio system running...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

A usual professional system (Rx/Tx and a pro lav) costs 1500€ on average and can go significantly higher (e.g I am ordering a couple DPA 6060 lavalier mics that will reach 800€ each without the accessories).

What did you expect for 200€?

At the moment, the best/cheap solution is the Sony UWP series, and that has a lot of limitations also (especially with range).

I have had incredibly good results with these cheap Boya brand wireless Tx/Rx https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RGF6AJ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They use some clever frequency hopping technology so there is no interference.. The sound is maybe a little less full than I used to get with my Sennheiser G3 EW-112P gear but I've put that down to the superior Sennheiser lav mic.

Before you shell out hundreds of £/$/€ on traditional wireless brands like Sennheiser or Sony it's worth a punt on a set of these at £60.

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

2 sets, 4 jobs, 4 failures, so I have returned for a refund via Amazon.

Yikes, that is a bad track record for you with them!

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Even at 10 metres/30 feet with the transmitter in grooms pocket and lav mic on lapel, - intermittent result.

Front pocket, or rear pocket? 

And the lav mic wasn't getting unplugged?

4 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

I need to replace my UWP D11s looks like I'll be steering clear of these consumer grade 2.4gz wireless systems.

Thinking Senny G4s atm but the UWP D21 could be interesting when its released.

The entry level G4 is no upgrade over the Sennheiser G3, which itself was in my opinion inferior to the Sonys. 

And the new Sony UWP-D21 should be a handy upgrade for anybody immersed in the Sony ecosystem of cameras as well already. 

56 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Front pocket, or rear pocket? 

And the lav mic wasn't getting unplugged?

Front trouser pocket for; father, best man & groom on the last job as none of them even had jackets, but waistcoats (vests for the Americans) with sealed pockets.

No, lav mic was secure as I personally transferred it from speaker to speaker.

The single biggest issue though was transmitter on desk top mini tripod directly in front of camcorder on tripod at back of room, but 20 metres max.

Played it back and .... of ... ..... was ...sing and then it would work for a while and then for no apparent reason .. ..... ... out .....

The only thing I can think of is either an issue with one of the units, transmitter or receiver, or interference or compatibility? I did some research this morning and read some were having issues after plugging in or unplugging lavs or other bits of kit, but who knows.

All I know is that if a bit of kit proves unreliable, it's gone.

I can't remember what the Rode lav mics cost a few years ago, but they were around the 120-150 mark each and I have 3 of them and the Sony ICDUX560B's (also 3 of) have been ultra-reliable.

Shotgun going back on the 1" camcorder for ceremony & speeches, principal speakers lav mics and Sony's in pockets and shotguns on the back up/side angle cameras.

But others may have more success and I did do my research prior and saw very good reviews from the likes of Philip Bloom, Gordon Laing et al.

Possibly a case though of all the testing in the world is fine, but it's really only on an actual job any potential issues come to the fore.

Maybe Rode are already aware and maybe firmware updates are coming and maybe a V2 model will be better, but at this stage, the post office is getting a visit this afternoon as a full refund has been confirmed.

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The entry level G4 is no upgrade over the Sennheiser G3, which itself was in my opinion inferior to the Sonys. 

And the new Sony UWP-D21 should be a handy upgrade for anybody immersed in the Sony ecosystem of cameras as well already. 

Im just relying on my Tascam Dr10L + Countryman b3 combo atm.

Thankfully I dont have any upcoming documentary shoots, so I can hold out a bit.

I wish Sony would hurry up with the 21s or just release the price/availability date.

Haven't had any problems either using the system with XT3. However, always in close proximity to the reciever. When testing is seems that more than 10-15 metres away and with any obstacles inbetween is likely to create problems.  

21 hours ago, MrSMW said:

The only thing I can think of is either an issue with one of the units, transmitter or receiver, or interference or compatibility? I did some research this morning and read some were having issues after plugging in or unplugging lavs or other bits of kit, but who knows.

|Have a play with it yourself while fiddling around with the TX/lav in your hands, and listening at the same time, just to triple check it isn't a problem with a dodgy lav connection. 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

|Have a play with it yourself while fiddling around with the TX/lav in your hands, and listening at the same time, just to triple check it isn't a problem with a dodgy lav connection. 

Already gone back.

Even though I was beyond the standard return time, Amazon (from where I purchased) agreed to take them back and refund in full...so they got packed up and sent off.

Last Sat was just the final straw really. As several have said above, no problems at well under the max distance and zero blocking, but in the 'real world' of a wedding, if I can't trust a bit of kit...

Back to the old way, but thanks for the thought!

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2019 at 11:04 AM, Kisaha said:

A usual professional system (Rx/Tx and a pro lav) costs 1500€ on average and can go significantly higher (e.g I am ordering a couple DPA 6060 lavalier mics that will reach 800€ each without the accessories).

What did you expect for 200€?

At the moment, the best/cheap solution is the Sony UWP series, and that has a lot of limitations also (especially with range).

So I guess you're only shooting with Arri and Red cameras (because they're professional) using Zeiss Primes (because they're professional) and put it all on O'Connor sticks (because they're professional)? Anything else and you should expect 480p TOPS (because it's not professional) ? 

I hate these kinds of stupid comments. He should absolutely expect a perfectly usable product for 200 euro. Not everyone needs 3km range and perfect crystal clear full spectrum audio that will make sure bride's "yes I do" will be transmitted on hollywood level never seen before on a damn youtube wedding video.

On 7/29/2019 at 12:58 PM, Avenger 2.0 said:

You should steer away from those 2.4GHz solutions. The band is just too crowded and range too limited. Thanks for the warning, would have expected better from Rode.

I've been using my Rode Filmmaker Kit with zero issues in tightly packed convention centers. My drone has more issues being on 2.4 Ghz than the Rode.

3 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

A small step forward, but yet still a much much bigger leap forward than Sennheiser did recently going from G3 to G4!!

2 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

So I guess you're only shooting with Arri and Red cameras (because they're professional) using Zeiss Primes (because they're professional) and put it all on O'Connor sticks (because they're professional)? Anything else and you should expect 480p TOPS (because it's not professional) ? 

I work alongside ARRI and RED cameras several times a month, often several times a week. 
For many of us that is not unusual at all. 

Anyway, even if you're "only" on shoots with say an FS7 (like I did today for a TV commercial), then why not still use proper nice gear such as DPA/Sanken/Lectro/etc?

2 hours ago, Adam Kuźniar said:

I've been using my Rode Filmmaker Kit with zero issues in tightly packed convention centers.

You've been lucky. That isn't everyone's experience though. 
Plus there are other reasons to avoid RodeLinks than just that. (like their excessive bulk, for some of our work that is a serious dealbreaker)

Gee thanks! But no, not really. I still work an awful lot in the low budget / indie tier of productions. 

Tomorrow's short film is an ultra low budget self funded short film, yet it will be shot on an ARRI AMIRA, and I'll be showing up with my so called "fancy" sound gear from Zaxcom/Sanken/etc (no DPA mics though, sorry)

Many forum goers just need to set their sights a little higher. 

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Gee thanks! But no, not really. I still work an awful lot in the low budget / indie tier of productions. 

Tomorrow's short film is an ultra low budget self funded short film, yet it will be shot on an ARRI AMIRA, and I'll be showing up with my so called "fancy" sound gear from Zaxcom/Sanken/etc (no DPA mics though, sorry)

Many forum goers just need to set their sights a little higher. 

I think there's a middle ground: I think that people should expect at least minimum level of quality from a $200 wireless system, especially from a company like RODE. That is to say, people should rightfully expect the thing to work as advertised. I'd also say though that a $200 wireless set may not be the best choice when shooting something like a wedding, where you've got one chance to nail everything. There's just too great a chance that something will happen. That's why I use a Zoom H1 and a lav. Definitely not fancy but I've never had it fail on me, which is more than I can say for most (all?) wireless systems I've worked with.