G7/G85 best settings

Shell64

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

On G7 I use Natural with contrast at 0, color -2, sharpness and noise reduction at -5. So, not messing with the 709 curve, nice potential for grading. On G6 I shot everything at -2 and found my own grading workflow to get nice poppy colors. Just ISO 1600 was too much for the slim HD codec. 100mbit 4k codec on the G7 is very good though, so much better thant G6.

Anyhow, some G6 example after heavier grading with -2 on everything on natural profile.

18 hours ago, Shell64 said:

Do you keep saturation at 0?  People have said it results in color channel clipping. Also does flattening natural increase dynamic range?  Or is that only with CineD?

Yep, everything at 0. Never had any issues with it and I've learned to not listen to what people are saying ? 

Not too sure about that since I keep mine at 0 ? 

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Shell64 said:

Can you change the settings while recording?  Also would love an iOS version as I don’t have android. 

Yes you can change the settings.

It is a derivative of this more comprehensive automated app which enables you to set a range for the parameter(s) that you are interested in changing.

When you have set those, it will step through each permutation and take a still or do it continuously as one piece of video.

When it is running, it displays the settings on the screen so you can film them at the same time as a colour chart or whatever subject you are interested in so you can reference the settings for the look that you want.

5ac5fdf8329c7_P1010547-Version2.thumb.jpg.0dd28ad0e1d3e2946bac3c5eb4fc6614.jpg.f1d3efbb6abe49437331ae44b97c3f1c.jpg

There is no oIS version but it runs on very modest Android hardware so any cheap used handset can be used if you want to run it.

20 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

On G7 I use Natural with contrast at 0, color -2, sharpness and noise reduction at -5. So, not messing with the 709 curve, nice potential for grading. On G6 I shot everything at -2 and found my own grading workflow to get nice poppy colors. Just ISO 1600 was too much for the slim HD codec. 100mbit 4k codec on the G7 is very good though, so much better thant G6.

Anyhow, some G6 example after heavier grading with -2 on everything on natural profile.

Love your work, Panny!!! Do you know how the .mov all-i codec on the GH3 is?

I still can’t believe you have to buy a GH5 to get the all-i codec from Panasonic... all of these sub-$1000 Panasonic cameras should have all-i 1080p.

I agree. Although it’s not hard to get with a cheap ninja 2 recorder. 

The 1080p Panasonic gives is great but wish we got that beefy all I codec. 

29 minutes ago, mercer said:

I still can’t believe you have to buy a GH5 to get the all-i codec from Panasonic... all of these sub-$1000 Panasonic cameras should have all-i 1080p.

YouTube Nigel barrow does a lot of content on the Panasonic gh3 and older cams like that. I like his channel. He said that the all-I codec grades worse and has more noise than the 50mbps intra-frame codec. Probably because infra-frame is more efficient. 

*Nigel Barros (not Nigel barrow)

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Thanks Glenn! The GH4 has a HD all intra codec with 200mbit and it costs less than 1000usd now, or the Fz2000 you had, 200mbit, also in the sub 1000 dollar category.

Right, like Shell64 wrote, the 72mbit all-i is to stay away from, the 50mbit interframe codec should be pretty nice.

4 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Thanks Glenn! The GH4 has a HD all intra codec with 200mbit and it costs less than 1000usd now, or the Fz2000 you had, 200mbit, also in the sub 1000 dollar category.

Right, like Shell64 wrote, the 72mbit all-i is to stay away from, the 50mbit interframe codec should be pretty nice.

50mbit interframe codec Should be equivalent to about 150mbit all-i in my experience, so not too bad.