G7 in 2019

Shell64

Yeah another g7 would be nice. Though the lx100 has a lens that is better than the Panasonic 12-35 2.8, so it’d be like getting a g7 and a free 12-35. 

I could just get a better camera like a g85 or Sony a6400 and reserve the g7 as a b-cam. 

Mayby I should just invest in better lenses, lights, etc, instead of a second camera. because I’m pretty new to this and don’t have a ton of gear. Thanks for the advice though, it really helped. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Do you already own the Ninja? 

As if not then the combo price of your very cheap GH4 is still waaaaay more than a G85. 

And not too far off the cost of a GH5 (pretty similar really). 

An a GH4 + Ninja vs GH5?? The decision is a no brainer! I'd get the GH5

Yeap, I already have the Ninja so no extra cost, I agree, if I didn't have the Ninja I would have got the GH5

14 minutes ago, Shell64 said:

Mayby I should just invest in better lenses, lights, etc, instead of a second camera. because I’m pretty new to this and don’t have a ton of gear. Thanks for the advice though, it really helped. 

What kind of shooting are you doing? That really determines the need for a B Cam or not. 

2 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Yeap, I already have the Ninja so no extra cost, I agree, if I didn't have the Ninja I would have got the GH5

Fair enough then!

(although it could be argued selling the Ninja to finance a GH5 would've been the better move...)

6 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Fair enough then!

(although it could be argued selling the Ninja to finance a GH5 would've been the better move...)

Unfortunately that's not an option ether, I need the Ninja for longer recording time in a FS7, some times the GH4 is going to be the b camera with the Ninja attached, and others will be the d camera (just for inserts) without the Ninja (Ninja will be in the FS7).

12 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

That camera is more expensive than a used G7.

Most cameras are more expensive than a used G7. I don’t know if the CineLikeD hack works with the GX850, but maybe that’s an option... @BTM_Pix ?

I had a G7, a GX85 and a G85, and if I were to go back to Panasonic, at that price range, I’d go with the G85. In fact, if I were @Shell64 , I’d consider selling my G7, buying a G85 and getting a GX85 as my B-Cam.

12 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

oooouch!!!!!....I just got a GH4, for just 300 bucks!!!!, including two extra EF to MFT adapters, it was similar or cheaper than some published G7, more cheaper than a G85 and far more cheaper than a GH5, let me do the maths here:

GH5 $1.2K - GH4 $300 = $900 --> time to get a Sigma Art 18-35 $600 --> $900 - $600 = $300....I like it, I am going to get an extra lens and there is still money in my pocket. Hard to pass this bargain!!!

Good deal... now use the profit from a GH4 sale, to help fund the GH5.

• Super Members
20 minutes ago, mercer said:

Most cameras are more expensive than a used G7. I don’t know if the CineLikeD hack works with the GX850, but maybe that’s an option... @BTM_Pix ?

I was trying it in a shop when they thew me out but anecdotally from people who own them I think its a no.

The cheap travel versions of the 1" cameras like the definitely TZ80 can be though.

I remember posting on here that if anyone bought the demo TZ80 at Stansted airport electronics shop then it had already been pre-hacked for you by me and stored in the C3 setting ;)  

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Huh? The FS7 has unlimited recording time

Yes, the issue is that the guy who has it didn't have enough media for the cam, and I need it running a few hours, the FS7 media is really expensive, and certainly don't want to spend that money in a cam which is not mine, so I choose to get the Ninja, cheap approved 1Tb SSD, and run the FS7 for hours....and since I already have the Ninja, got a cheap GH4 and use it during other projects. :)

52 minutes ago, mercer said:

hahaha....well, after the project I am working on for the rest of the year is completed, and no need for the FS7 anymore, the Ninja and the GH4 are certainly going to eBay, and will exchange them for a GH5 :)

59 minutes ago, mercer said:

I had a G7, a GX85 and a G85, and if I were to go back to Panasonic, at that price range, I’d go with the G85. In fact, if I were @Shell64 , I’d consider selling my G7, buying a G85 and getting a GX85 as my B-Cam.

The gx850 is a no go because they severely hampered it. It has an identical sensor to the g7 but they disabled manual video and any control over the picture profile settings. 

I can only afford to either upgrade my g7 or buy a b-cam, not do both. 

8 minutes ago, Shell64 said:

The gx850 is a no go because they severely hampered it. It has an identical sensor to the g7 but they disabled manual video and any control over the picture profile settings. 

I can only afford to either upgrade my g7 or buy a b-cam, not do both. 

It is a hard choice then, depending on what you are doing, if it is only fiction probably to upgrade is the best path, but if you are doing docs, sometimes two cams are really needed, and in that case a second G7 makes sense.... 

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The cheap travel versions of the 1" cameras like the definitely TZ80 can be though.

Eh? TZ80 is a 1/2.3in sensor.

Did you mean the Panasonic Lumix TZ100 which has a 1" sensor?

The tz100 would be neat. I could also put it in my pocket when I want to travel light. 

If I were to upgrade my g7 instead of buying a second camera, what would be a good upgrade?  If it’s really good 1080 that is fine. I shoot 1080 on my g7 most of the time. 

• Super Members
32 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Eh? TZ80 is a 1/2.3in sensor.

Did you mean the Panasonic Lumix TZ100 which has a 1" sensor?

Sorry, yes, I can't keep track with their names (or the sheer number of different conversations in different threads about the G7 if I'm being honest) but, yes, for 1" its the TZ100.

Although the TZ80 can be hacked as well.

3 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

Yes, the issue is that the guy who has it didn't have enough media for the cam, and I need it running a few hours, the FS7 media is really expensive, and certainly don't want to spend that money in a cam which is not mine, so I choose to get the Ninja, cheap approved 1Tb SSD, and run the FS7 for hours....and since I already have the Ninja, got a cheap GH4 and use it during other projects. :)

hahaha....well, after the project I am working on for the rest of the year is completed, and no need for the FS7 anymore, the Ninja and the GH4 are certainly going to eBay, and will exchange them for a GH5 :)

lmao why not just record in XAVC L instead of I and get longer record times...