G7 in 2019

Shell64

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah a GH4 is a lot more money. But a good camera if you like the CS in it. They are not a heck of a lot cheaper than a used GH5 since Panny lowered the price on the GH5.

But if don't have the money you don't have the money as they say lol.

I would certainly love to get a GH5, but that is around 1K, mmm!!!! tempting , tempting.....

11 minutes ago, mercer said:

The problem with the cheaper Panasonic cameras are that they are all crippled and with the GH5 being so cheap, I think it’s probably worth the price difference to get the extra features.

what about the GH4?, what do I loose going this way?

Just now, hijodeibn said:

I would certainly love to get a GH5, but that is around 1K, mmm!!!! tempting , tempting.....

It’s really easy for me to spend your money but at the end of the day, you are getting SOO much more with a gh5 for about double what you’d pay for a gh4 and like you said, at $1000 used... it’s not that much money but in the end think of the headaches you’re saving going with the gh5. 

4 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Compared to the GH5? Well, you get the beefy 1080p and 4K codec (which meets all of the requirements for a Netflix production), IBIS, waveform monitor, LUT viewing, the newer color science, 10bit internal, 6K Anamorphic...

Just now, mercer said:

It’s really easy for me to spend your money but at the end of the day, you are getting SOO much more with a gh5 for about double what you’d pay for a gh4 and like you said, at $1000 used... it’s not that much money but in the end think of the headaches you’re saving going with the gh5. 

Well, this new camera is supposed to be my third camera, most of the time will be in a tripod with a Ninja Assassin recording a long shot, a cutaway shot or a close up shot.....what about image quality?, are both similar or the difference is huge?

You have a WAY better CS in the GH5, even better in the GH5s. You have 10bit internal. You don't Have to buy a Gimbal. ISIS is that good. The 6K Anamorphic is worth it alone. It is a dream come true camera for the average person for a 1000 bucks. Same with the PK4.  They are a gift for the average person.

2 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

Looking at both auctions, I can say I could get a G7 for 150-180 bucks cheaper than a G85, which for me was a good margin to go for the G7, but I need 10-bit for the grading....too bad, anyway, I will certainly get a GH4, probably for a little more than a G8

What would be the best b camera to the g7 that is cheap?

39 minutes ago, mercer said:

Or the LX100... or the GX85...

What lens(es) do you use with your G7 and what type of stuff do you shoot?

I don’t have much lenses. Just the kit lens and meike 25mm 1.8. I shoot corporate, interviews, promo videos, and documentaries. 

42 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Hard to find something cheaper, you will have to get another G7....probably you should get something better and leave the G7 as the b cam,

Good idea. 

oooouch!!!!!....I just got a GH4, for just 300 bucks!!!!, including two extra EF to MFT adapters, it was similar or cheaper than some published G7, more cheaper than a G85 and far more cheaper than a GH5, let me do the maths here:

GH5 $1.2K - GH4 $300 = $900 --> time to get a Sigma Art 18-35 $600 --> $900 - $600 = $300....I like it, I am going to get an extra lens and there is still money in my pocket. Hard to pass this bargain!!!

9 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I think I would take a G7 over a GH4. The person that had it might have had the same mindset. If you get something cheap as hell..well there is probably a reason.

I will use it with a Ninja Assassin, so I will get 10-bit 422, and I am getting also a Sigma Art 18-35 f1.8 for it.....mmm!!!!, nop, I think I got a bargain, I told you I was a number 1 class champion on stupid auctions!!! :)

5 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

In eBay a G85 cost almost double than a G7, I need a cheap camera now which I can use with an external recorder in 4K, G7 looks very attractive...but..

anyone here knows if the HDMI out in the G7 is 10-bit 422?, or is it 8-bit 422?, has anyone tested a Ninja Assassin to capture 4K in this camera?

If you're going to spend the extra money for an external recorder then just get a Panasonic GH5 instead! The cost anyway for a GH5 is around the same as a G85 + recorder combined. And you'd be much happier off with the GH5!

5 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

Thanks guys....too bad only 8-bit, I will have to go with a GH4.... :(

Even if you get a GH4 instead of a GH5, then a G85 is still going to be much cheaper than a GH4/recorder combo! (or heck, probably still cheaper than a BMPCC4K)

And usually I'd rather have a G85 than a GH4/recorder (definitely rather have the BMPCC4K instead). 

I just don't see the point in using an external recorder with the older Panasonics (unless you happen to already have it, thus it "doesn't cost you anything").

4 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

A significantly older sensor, and no IBIS, when compared against the G85

3 hours ago, Shell64 said:

What would be the best b camera to the g7 that is cheap?

Another G7?

Or perhaps a G6, if you don't mind it being "only 1080" and an older sensor. 

But the price difference is small enough, I'd say just get at least a G7. 

39 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

I will use it with a Ninja Assassin, so I will get 10-bit 422

Do you already own the Ninja? 

As if not then the combo price of your very cheap GH4 is still waaaaay more than a G85. 

And not too far off the cost of a GH5 (pretty similar really). 

An a GH4 + Ninja vs GH5?? The decision is a no brainer! I'd get the GH5