G7 in 2019

Shell64

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Old EOSHD-frequenter Andy Lee (not sure what's up with him these days) had decided to use G7 bodies on a project over the GH4 back when. Its colors and noise performance was actually better. Look at this:

I too wonder where has andy lee gone? I loved his contributions! 

Does anybody know if the film @andy lee made has been released yet?

Although yes, I agree with the other comments, in this day and age it would be better to buy the G85 instead of the G7 as the G85 is quite a bit better and only costs marginally more. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Although yes, I agree with the other comments, in this day and age it would be better to buy the G85 instead of the G7 as the G85 is quite a bit better and only costs marginally more. 

I agree unless you are buying the g7 used. It’s definately cheaper then. 

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

g95 and gx9 have a much nicer 1080P than G85/GX85, just their 4K crop is more worse too.

G7 is still pretty nice, but it doesnt have unlimited 4K which is a bummer.

G85 and GX85 don´t have unlimited anything. 30min is the limit. Don´t know about the GX9. Would seem the same. HD on the G7 is much nicer. Now that is a bummer! Anyhow, G7 is a great cam if you like nice HD and 4k better than GH4. If you need IBIS and HD is not so important get the G85.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Exactely! Have been wondering about that for a long time! Think his film was called Andromeda or something like that, all shot on several G7s in 4k.

3 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

G85 and GX85 don´t have unlimited anything. 30min is the limit. Don´t know about the GX9. Would seem the same. HD on the G7 is much nicer. Now that is a bummer! Anyhow, G7 is a great cam if you like nice HD and 4k better than GH4. If you need IBIS and HD is not so important get the G85.

Exactely! Have been wondering about that for a long time! Think his film was called Andromeda or something like that, all shot on several G7s in 4k.

For those hd g7 shooters like myself if you have the ntsc version, shooting 1080p 24fps in avchd you have no record limit. I have successfully recorded over 30 minutes with this. There are also hacks to get unlimited 4K, but it might not work anymore. I haven’t tried. Biggest gripe I have is not being able to use an external monitor plus the internal focus peaking never wants to actuallly show up much. 

There's a simple button pressing Mod you can do to the g7 to make it record continuously as long as the battery/sd card will allow in any frame rate/quality. 

It breaks the clips apart at the 4 gig limit, but will continuously record on it's own. I use it to record concerts and theater productions because you can leave it there plugged in

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I scoured the internet at some point late last year for any information about that film. I, unfortunately, found no helpful information about it. It's strange that such a project would seemingly vanish into thin air.

25 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

I thinks its depend on the region, the gx85/g85 sold here is unlimited rec and with both 25/30 options on the menu.

Yes this is true. NTSC g85 gets unlimited recording, PAL version does not. You can hack PAL versions to switch to NTSC but you lose 25p and 50p, only 24, 30, and 60p. The g7 hacked has unlimited 4K in PAL and both unlimited 4K and unlimited avchd 1080p in NTSC.  The ntsc gh4 is region unlocked and has no record limits whatsoever without a hack. The fz2500 is the same. 

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

In eBay a G85 cost almost double than a G7, I need a cheap camera now which I can use with an external recorder in 4K, G7 looks very attractive...but..

anyone here knows if the HDMI out in the G7 is 10-bit 422?, or is it 8-bit 422?, has anyone tested a Ninja Assassin to capture 4K in this camera?

The hdmi is 8 bit. I am also curious how an external recorder would work with this. I don’t have one but you may not be able to change the frame rate as when using the internal lcd the settings take effect once pressing the record button...which is also when the g7 shuts off external output

Just now, PannySVHS said:

@hijodeibn output is 8bit 422. Andy Lee compared external recording on the Atomos Ninja to the internal 4k codec. External recording is not worth the hassle, he said. From my experience the internal codec for 4k is really, really good. I only tested it in Natural picture profile though, not in Cine D.

Thanks guys....too bad only 8-bit, I will have to go with a GH4.... :(

23 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

In eBay a G85 cost almost double than a G7, I need a cheap camera now which I can use with an external recorder in 4K, G7 looks very attractive...but..

anyone here knows if the HDMI out in the G7 is 10-bit 422?, or is it 8-bit 422?, has anyone tested a Ninja Assassin to capture 4K in this camera?

This is the cheapest G7 on eBay can buy right now that is not a stupid auction..  It sure as hell is not Half price of a G85. It is 100 Dollars less unless you need a Pal version and that one is only 415 Dollars for the G85. Yeah if you want the one with no battery, etc, what good is that, and it is still over 400 bucks. Maybe you are looking at the European version of eBay. I don't know. All I know sure the G7 is a good camera, but it sure as hell isn't a G85.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G7-Mirrorless-Micro-Four-Thirds-Digital-Camera-Body-Black/372708078104?hash=item56c721f218%3Ag%3AX4UAAOSwMvxdJIdU&LH_BIN=1

7 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

This is the cheapest G7 on eBay can buy right now that is not a stupid auction..  It sure as hell is not Half price of a G85. It is 100 Dollars less unless you need a Pal version and that one is only 415 Dollars for the G85. Yeah if you want the one with no battery, etc, what good is that, and it is still over 400 bucks. Maybe you are looking at the European version of eBay. I don't know.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G7-Mirrorless-Micro-Four-Thirds-Digital-Camera-Body-Black/372708078104?hash=item56c721f218%3Ag%3AX4UAAOSwMvxdJIdU&LH_BIN=1

The stupid auction is the only way to get cheaper prices, I always buy using the stupid auctions and I always get incredible cheaper prices,  if you always buy the other way, well, you can paid overprice every time you want to, so yes, I could probably get a G7 for a little more than half a G85, anyway, the 8-bit was the break dealer for me, now I will go for another stupid auction to get a cheaper GH4...

5 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Then if you are that good then you can get an incredible deal on a G85. End of story. I hope you Do buy a GH4 lol.

Looking at both auctions, I can say I could get a G7 for 150-180 bucks cheaper than a G85, which for me was a good margin to go for the G7, but I need 10-bit for the grading....too bad, anyway, I will certainly get a GH4, probably for a little more than a G85 :)