G7 in 2019

Shell64

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Old EOSHD-frequenter Andy Lee (not sure what's up with him these days) had decided to use G7 bodies on a project over the GH4 back when. Its colors and noise performance was actually better. Look at this:

Though, the G85 is a significant upgrade I would say because you get even better color/noise performance. It's also great for handheld due to the all-important in-body image stabilization and Dual I.S. The kit lens Lumix 12-60mm has optical stabilization that works in conjunction with that and is weathersealed (as is the G85 body itself). Plus, I found it really helpful that the G85 moved the SD card slot away from being co-located at the battery compartment to its own door on the side. The GX85 lacks the mic-input and the Cinelike profiles have to be added by hack (that I believe is inhibited by later firmware)... Not sure about the E-M10 Mark III but Mathieu/Mirrorlessons did fair videos on that:

You people are crazy for recommending a G7 over a G85. Hell they are only like 50 dollars more than a G7 at times. One right here for 450 bucks, if you need a PaL one there is one on eBay for 415.00 Dollars. Crazy to buy a G7 for that much less money now.

I had a G7 myself, great camera, but if was buying again I sure as hell wouldn't buy one again with the G85 out there to be had.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G85-Mirrorless-Micro-Four-Thirds-Digital-Camera-Body-New/132894837276?hash=item1ef1264a1c%3Ag%3A9hQAAOSwIddcHBFg%3Asc%3AUSPSPriority!45056!US!-1&LH_BIN=1

Yeah the G7 is great over the GX85 if you really need those mic jacks.

However I'd go for the Olympus EM10 MK3. Its going for $350 now on ebay. You get mic jacks plus IBIS. 4.6k oversampled with a 2x crop. To me that is by far the best deal, plus I liked Olympus color. Of course IBIS is a plus. 

I am honestly tempted to buy one even having an XT3, XT30, and BM pocket.

24 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

You people are crazy for recommending a G7 over a G85. Hell they are only like 50 dollars more than a G7 at times. One right here for 450 bucks, if you need a PaL one there is one on eBay for 415.00 Dollars. Crazy to buy a G7 for that much less money now.

I had a G7 myself, great camera, but if was buying again I sure as hell wouldn't buy one again with the G85 out there to be had.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-G85-Mirrorless-Micro-Four-Thirds-Digital-Camera-Body-New/132894837276?hash=item1ef1264a1c%3Ag%3A9hQAAOSwIddcHBFg%3Asc%3AUSPSPriority!45056!US!-1&LH_BIN=1

I'm not recommending if OVER the g85, I'm just saying the g7 is still a good camera.

If you don't think a ILC that does 4k and can be bought used for ~$250-300 body only isn't a good deal, you're the crazy one.

They can both be good cameras, one being better or having more features doesn't make the other one a piece of shit.

5 minutes ago, homestar_kevin said:

I'm not recommending if OVER the g85, I'm just saying the g7 is still a good camera.

If you don't think a ILC that does 4k and can be bought used for ~$250-300 body only isn't a good deal, you're the crazy one.

They can both be good cameras, one being better or having more features doesn't make the other one a piece of shit.

Yeah used it might be the best budget filmmaking camera. Even brand new it might not be as good as the gx85 or g85 but it is still a “good deal”

does the em10 iii have a decent profile for grading?

1 hour ago, Shell64 said:

Yeah used it might be the best budget filmmaking camera. Even brand new it might not be as good as the gx85 or g85 but it is still a “good deal”

does the em10 iii have a decent profile for grading?

CineD may have a bit more dynamic range but a lot of people find the color hard to work with. I know a lot of people who use natural on the G7 even GH5. I don't feel like there is a huge difference until you jump up to log recording which neither camera has. 

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Never mind.

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

Well the down-vote on me proves @homestar_kevin doesn't have a clue. Thanks for letting me know. I will avoid anything you say. Time saver.

Well if you can’t afford the extra for the g85 the g7 is still great. Same iq, same great ergonomics. Your acting like the g7 is crap. When bought used its waaaayyyy cheaper than the g85. 

The G7 is crap compared to the G85. For 50, a 100 Dollars you are going to buy a camera with no IBIS and Worse color science all all the other things it brings and be happy. There are some silly people in this thread doing new people on here a disservice. And you aren't buying the G7 for no 250 Dollars anywhere unless a truck ran over it. Grow up.