Exclusive: SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT 1,33X 50 pricing announced

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For those who are interested to try our anamorphic lens we are having a few casual meetup's on the following dates.

San Francisco - Oct 26th 6:30pm

Los Angeles - Oct 25th 6:30pm

Oct 26th 6:30pm

Everyone is welcome to bring their mFT, E-mount, or even EF mount camera to try out the

SLR MAGIC - ANAMORPHOT   1,33 X 50

As the lens is still currently under production the lens we have at the meetup will be the v4 Prototype lens. That is one version newer than the version EOSHD used for the test. Though not final, this is the coated version with controlled anamorphic streaks we worked on with EOSHD.

Please email support@slrmagic.com if you would like to Join us as we need to RSVP.

Kind rgds.,

Andrew Chan

Product Manager

The rear glass size is 50mm, the attachment thread size is of course larger. Was 52mm on the prototype. Likely will be same on the one in LA.

I expect Andrew will bring some stepping rings.

But if you are bringing a lens to try it on, make sure it has a small front element and is a prime not a zoom.

I will have a 52mm, 58mm, and 62mm at the San Francisco and Los Angeles meeting. The front element of the taking lens should be smaller than 50mm in diameter to work well in general. There can however be exceptions depending on optical design. For example, our HyperPrime CINE II 35mm T0.95 lens has a front element larger than 50mm and works well.

I had a chance to play with a near final version of the new SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphic Adapter today with Andrew Chan.

slrmagic1-1024x576.jpg

This adapter is a completely new design from other anamorphic adapters I've used. It has unique focusing abilities which give it the strengths of single focus designs like the Panasonic LA7200 with the added capabilities of what you'd find in dual focus anamorphic adapters like those from Bolex or Kowa. 

In its normal focus mode, with the SLR Magic 35mm T1.4 CINE II lens, you get a picture that can focus from 2.8m to infinity.

The lens also has a NEAR mode that works as a variable built in diopter. This works by rotating the ring on the anamorphic adapter towards the "near" marker on the adapter barrel when an object is closer than 2m and it moves the rear element of the adapter changing the focus capabilities of the lens. It's easy just to think of it as a macro mode, and something I'll cover more in depth on video when we get a copy of our own.       

slrmagic2-1024x576.jpg
You might be wondering, how does this differ from an LA7200? It is a completely different type of adapter. 

First, this lens is best pared with the SLR Magic 35mm T1.4 CINE II, which has been beefed up to not have lens slop while the anamorphic adapter is attached to the taking lens. Use the LA7200 enough and it will make even the most robust metal slr lens start to slop from all the weight hanging off the end of the filter threads.

Second, the LA7200 does not work at 35mm, not even close. You can fudge it with diopters, but the edges of the image will be an unfocused mess. 

Lastly, this is a brand new lens with a warranty, not something you have to get lucky on an eBay auction. Every lens will work and look the same. If you have a problem, it will be simple enough to get actual support.

slrmagic3-1024x576.jpg

Image Quality. I look forward to having more time to shoot with the SLR Magic anamorphic adapter in the upcoming months, but in the few hours I tested it I can give you some of my opinions. First of those being that this adapter is in no way a copy of any anamorphic adapter that has come before it. Testing the lens at infinity gives this away quickly as none of the other adapters can do 35mm without some degree of edge blurring. 

When the lens enters it's "NEAR" mode that works as a variable diopter, you can get some fantastically sharp images as well as exaggerated bokeh. The lens appeared to be out resolving my BMCC, which is something my LA7200 could never do, so I'd like to see what it does at even higher resolutions. 

The closest new and available 1.33x option that you could compare would be a Hawk V-lite 35mm at somewhere over $40,000. For a fraction of the price I think SLR Magic adapter+SLR Magic 35mm T1.4 CINE II lens will be a steal. 

slrmagic6-1024x432.jpg

Let me just say that I love the way this lens flares now. I know it might change before the final version ships, but the coloring reminds me of the coating on our Isco 36 and Bolex Anamorphot 8/19. Blue is nice too, but those can be faked with VANTAGE Blue-Vision® Flare Filters.

slrmagic4-1024x116.jpg

Finally, I'd like to think this will be a great product that should serve as a new starting point for getting into anamorphic lenses. It should greatly decrease all the unhappiness that comes with spending hours searching and bidding on lenses on ebay just to find out an anamorphic lens is broken or out of alignment. When this releases you can focus your time on learning how to shoot with anamorphic lenses, rather than focusing on the mechanics of just trying to get the lens to work with a bunch of adapters and wasting hours on forums and searching vimeo and youtube for answers. 

P1030174-1024x432.jpg

"The closest new and available 1.33x option that you could compare would be a Hawk V-lite 35mm at somewhere over $40,000. "

I would be most interested in these tests...

here following are the specs for the HAWK, I would be interested in the the focal length range comparisons.

Hawk® V-Lite Anamorphics 1.30x SQUEEZE
V-Lite 20 20 mm T 2.2 - T 16 
V-Lite 24 24 mm T 2.2 - T 16 
V-Lite 28 28 mm T 2.2 - T 16 
V-Lite 35 35 mm T 2.2 - T 16 
V-Lite 45 45 mm T 2.2 - T 16 
V-Lite 55 55 mm T 2.2 - T 16 
V-Lite 65 65 mm T 2.2 - T 16 
V-Lite 80 80 mm T 2.2 - T 16 
V-Lite 110 110 mm T 3 - T 16 
V-Lite 140 140 mm T 3.5 - T 16 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Thanks to all the volunteer requests. Our volunteer program actually ended on Oct 31st after our SF and LA Anamorphic lens meet up and we posted about that on twitter.

We had another meet up in Melbourne on November 29th. There is one more meet up for those who want to try our anamorphic lens and 17mm T1.4 mFT lens in Sydney on December 4th. Please email support@slrmagic.com for details.