Exclusive: SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT 1,33X 50 pricing announced

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My money is on the lens being a 3 element - from what Andrew said just a bit up.  And the fact that they have a close focus setting - which will work by bringing the two front optics back and fourth from the rear element.  Also the fact that this thing is happy at different focal lengths also suggests the 3 element design since the 2 element designs have their sweet spot for focal lengths (they work better on wider lenses and dont really work well with tele's).

This, if correct will be very good news for the guys used to the normal 2 element la7200 and century designs who are hoping to upgrade.  And at the proposed price this could be great value for money  Though a 1.33x squeeze, the addition of a 3rd optic will boost the ovals quite drasitcally over the ovals acheived from 2 element designs.  I dont know why, but it just does.  And I know that the 3 element design is sharp down to as big aperture as you can show it.  f2 aint a problem on full frame.   

@Andrew.  Please can you get confirmation from SLR Magic on if this is a 2 or 3 element design because this is a deal breaker IMO.  - if its the 3 element design, with the choice of single coating, DSO will start researching into a nice fast taking lens for dirty looks and boosted ovals on this thing:)

jgharding, on 10 Oct 2013 - 4:20 PM, said:

Well, let's all just see how it turns out then! Could be a decent Isco alternative for those without sacks of cash or the luck to find one cheap

here here
ed lee will clear this sticky mess up once and for all.
he has this new slr lens to beat all.
singlet doublet triplet who nose?
it will still work any ways century modest or iscorama gold.
2 bits of bk7 is not to be sneezed at
it really is a good recipe for it's price point.
a very good start hurrah 3 cheers it works and nice price.
but folks
do not feel pity for the century,the optex and panasonic.
feel sorry not for the con men clamp wranglers they had a good innings.
what weird bent anamorphic times was had by these low rent low res sub hd hustlers.
the future is now the focus needed pulling last week.
good times for all who embrace the new ways.
forward men leave the crap focus dead beat old optics behind.
just wait and be awed by some new generation hard focus pulls,the likes of which you have never seen before.
bring it on eye says.

Will be good to see some of the new anamorphics used with some older taking lenses to see if they can be given some character.

Andrew i'd still like to know if you are paying the 1300 to participate in the prototype round, it's fair disclosure since you

are suggesting we do.

Thanks!

I'd say Andrews coverage of the project on his very popular blog, as well as his test shoot and his hard work in creating a space where SLR magic can gain opinions from us nerds is worth a lot more than the £1300 any old mug can pay to get one of these lenses.

He could be whoring himself out to Canon, Sony, etc etc and getting paid backhanders to give good reviews,  posting pictures of himself using said gear for financial gain etc.

I don't see Andrew doing a hard sell, but is just making a point that the price seems fair.  Even if he were doing the hard sell, it wouldn't be half as bad as some of the blatant sellers on here of those huge and useless projection lenses coming on and cluttering up the place!.

@Andrew.  Please can you get confirmation from SLR Magic on if this is a 2 or 3 element design because this is a deal breaker IMO.  - if its the 3 element design, with the choice of single coating, DSO will start researching into a nice fast taking lens for dirty looks and boosted ovals on this thing:)

If you get boosted ovals on your DSO lenses I'm up to buying one!  A boosted Trump w/ this SLR Magic could be the trick!   Can't wait to see a wide option for the Trump as well since there's little to no wide options for FF 5DmkIIIs.

• Administrators

It was actually SLR Magic who told me it is a 3 element design. I don't doubt them!

• Administrators

Andrew i'd still like to know if you are paying the 1300 to participate in the prototype round, it's fair disclosure since you

are suggesting we do.

Some of the comments on here are outrageous.

It isn't a case of paying to enter a prototype round. For a start, it isn't a prototype round! It's a pre-production lens, identical in design to the final version and it is coupled to a retail "Mark II" cine lens. It is reduced in price to reflect the fact it is the V1.0 product. They could have just opened the sales but they are honest in calling it a testing stage and requiring user feedback.

If you want to wait until the retail version, feel free to shut the f*** up and wait until 2014. But don't complain on here if you have no interest in contributing to the project and owning the lens on offer.

I would happily pay the $1300 myself if I wasn't in the position of instead devoting massive effort into helping them with the product, in terms of the flare, test shoots, feedback, blog coverage... the works. That effort spent on a commercial project or a book would have made me a lot more than $1300, so that's the sacrifice I've made in time.

• Administrators

For the more constructive crowd... If you are in San Francisco on October 21st or LA on October 26th, Andrew from SLR Magic will be holding a meet up there, for people to try the anamorphic.

Email support@slrmagic.com if you're interested.

No I mean are you paying cash as you are suggesting we do.

It's not a troll comment. You've thrown quite a lot of vitriol towards other gear blogs like PB for this exact thing, it only seems fair if you are specifically inciting your reader base to purchase this thing, that you disclose if you are doing the same. S'all i'm sayin.

If you mean the 1300 I could make in the extensive time I'm investing in test shooting, blog coverage and even R&D with SLR Magic, then yes I am paying... And then some.

Enough with the troll comments now, take them to DVXUser or somewhere.

• Administrators

No I mean are you paying cash as you are suggesting we do.

It's not a troll comment. You've thrown quite a lot of vitriol towards other gear blogs like PB for this exact thing, it only seems fair if you are specifically enticing your reader base to purchase this thing that you disclose if you are doing the same. S'all i'm sayin.

I'm not suggesting you do anything, apart from maybe f***ing off from the forum for good.

The offer is out there. I think it's a good one. Take it or leave it.

• Administrators

Clue is in the word VOLUNTEER programme. If you don't think an exciting new anamorphic lens that improves massively on the LA7200 and comes bundled with a $500 cine lens and two diopters is worth more than the price of ONE 10 year old used LA7200 on eBay then you clearly have no reason to VOLUNTEER to buy one!

The early unfinished prototype seems good already, and I certainly think Rich is onto something with oval bokeh + vintage lens for this one.

I see a lot of creative choices with this anamorphic:

- Want a sharp, more digital look with a lot of contrast? Go for some modern lenses.

- Want a look with less contrast? Go with vintage lenses.

- Is 1.33 bokeh not enough for the look? Go for a solution like the DSO Trump with its oval aperture.

- Also, no need to waste any pixels to achieve 2.35:1 (which ought to be great for dslr/mirrorless which do not always have the best resolution).

An anamorphic with options like these for a price of $799 seems like a great deal to me. Especially in addition with the two achromats that you can order without some major hunting on the Internet.

I really love my Iscorama - but the paranoia when traveling with it is no fun. I'd rather travel with an item that I know I can order a replacement for if stolen or damaged. At $799 for the SLR Magic Anamorphic it's not super cheap to pay up for if you waste it - but it sure beats crying a river if you'd ever trash an Iscorama!

Andrew, how do you align this anamorphic? Does it have some similar rotating mechanism to Iscorama?

• Administrators

Yes it has a rotational mechanism where you loosen a collar and rotate the lens block. This part of the design is finalised and improved on the pre-production lens compared to the V3 prototype I tried.

Iscorama paranoia haha. Yes. When I am shooting with one, I look around on the street to see if there's any shadowy figures watching!

For the more constructive crowd... If you are in San Francisco on October 21st or LA on October 26th, Andrew from SLR Magic will be holding a meet up there, for people to try the anamorphic.

Anybody who has the opportunity please try it on a full frame sensor. Mark III with magic lantern or scarlet if you have access to one.

Get your step rings ready, back filter size is 50mm so get the one you need to screw on your 50mm focal length lens :-)

thanks!

Any chance they're going to NYC?  I'm going to be there by the end of the month, I'd love to try this on my 5DmkIII!

• Administrators

The rear glass size is 50mm, the attachment thread size is of course larger. Was 52mm on the prototype. Likely will be same on the one in LA.

I expect Andrew will bring some stepping rings.

But if you are bringing a lens to try it on, make sure it has a small front element and is a prime not a zoom.