Exclusive: SLR Magic ANAMORPHOT 1,33X 50 pricing announced

Andrew Reid

It is much sharper at the edges than the LA7200. The flare is no accident, it is designed with filmmaker input. The adapter is smaller and lighter, and has a built in close focus ring. The optical design is newer and is designed for large sensor sizes, with the 50mm rear element.

The LA7200 is a old 90's adapter for the DVX100, designed for a small sensor. It is OK at F4 or F5.6 on a 14mm lens with Micro Four Thirds sensor. The SLR Magic by contrast is sharp at F2 and F2.8 on a 35mm, with a shallower depth of field especially at closer focus distances. The LA7200 has a large front element, almost impossible to fit a diopter over. The SLR Magic has a standard circular front element which is the right size for a screw on diopter, and SLR Magic have developed their own to suit it. From the diopter to the rear element of the prime they are designed to work together.

I'm up for replacing my LA7200.  Damn thing is plastic, the knubs inside holding the front element broke so the element shifts and moves all the time, the rear aligning thread is near stripped, etc etc.  That's not even talking about the optical quality.  Even if it performs almost the same, I'll spend as much for a NEW optic rather than one with plastic housing.  I just wish the CINE prime was 17mm for MFT rather than 35mm, unless it's 35mm for Canon EF mount.  The one thing I am worried about is the need for diopters, I thought there was a close focus switch?  At least the front is round, I was using tape to hold diopters on my LA7200.  Yes I dropped a bunch already (none cracked thankfully).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

With the vested interests you have in impractical projector lenses, I can hardly take a word you say seriously about this.

Well well. Let us hope that others will ask the same questions and that you take them seriously without them having to make a vested interest in this unit.

My specs are upfront, nothing to hide.

is it just me or is there something very unanamorphic about that anamorphic video?

looks like they just cropped a regular spherical.

at any rate, looks like it'd be fun to play with :)

well you my friend are a little spoiled with your baby anamorphic more fiddly in use but superb classic look from complicated 2x micro optics from classic 1970s era japan.

and as for you playing with this new lens you are a pervert no playing with china for you :)

It's because it's 1.3 stretch. Not worth the price of admission for me, i'd letterbox for a similar effect and spend the money elsewhere. That said I'm sure its a suitable solution for some, certainly sounds functional and would be an upgrade from a LA7200.

is it just me or is there something very unanamorphic about that anamorphic video?

looks like they just cropped a regular spherical.

at any rate, looks like it'd be fun to play with :)

well you my friend are a little spoiled with your baby anamorphic more fiddly in use but superb classic look from complicated 2x micro optics from classic 1970s era japan.

and as for you playing with this new lens you are a pervert no playing with china for you :)

but i just got a lovely rubber gimp suit to go with me gasmask!  :(

it would have squeeked so nicely when rubbed against me  :wub:

It's because it's 1.3 stretch. 

its not that, i have a 1.5 which isnt far from 1.33 and the difference is clear to see. and i dont think its the taking lens either,... i put a regular kowa on a friends canon 5d 135L f2 superdupermodernsomething something a few weeks ago and the difference was far from subtle.

its not that, i have a 1.5 which isnt far from 1.33 and the difference is clear to see. and i dont think its the taking lens either,... i put a regular kowa on a friends canon 5d 135L f2 superdupermodernsomething something a few weeks ago and the difference was far from subtle.

look at the massive hypergonars nice long focal length distance between optics add a little radioactive material to change the abbe number.

even the baby lens have more distance and if not complex high index doublets your tiny optic included.
glass like lananthanum used by leica long ago.
bk7 type glass is regular standard stuff some of the magic is in the recipes.
some of the glass types are not even made any more.
this is not a problem for companies like cooke who can spend a year playing with modern glass types refining a modern optic with vintage character traits.
compact short barrel wider focal length of anamorphic giving a wider field of view heavier f stop giving many zones of sharp focus,glass type,1.33 compression and lens coatings.
complex stuff even for a budget scope lens a tough nut to crack and a difficult ask to satisfy different market segments.
cannot wait for the letus v slr v century with achromat video

Is there any test footage available on the pre-production units not the prototypes, particularly on the a APS-C sensor, nex preferred.
I'm very interested in get my hands on a new, less annoying (but lovely Sankor 16c) anamorphic lens and the kit appears to be right for my needs.

Is this lens dual focus, as that's what stops m from using my current set.

if they can make this really good, and tame the flares a lot, it bodes well for reverse engineering some of the greats of the past, does it not?

It's a pretty acorn to start with, so the oak could be a sturdy bugger.

What a bad analogy... but you know what I mean? This may not be 70's cinema glass, but the fact that production has started, and with some improvements (the close-focus mode) is good. It means there's interest, we're underway...

I think I'll wait for 1.5x, I think you need at least that to really kick the anamorphic look up! Beautiful waterfall bokeh, oval lights... That just ain't gonna happen at 1.3... but I do hope that enough buy this to justify future lenses.

• Administrators

Just to clear up some of the misinfo... It isn't a rework of any existing lens, century or LA7200 and it isn't a single element design. It is a custom design, 3 elements, a real anamorphic. Flare is tamed in new version. Andrew at SLR Magic and I had a long discussion about what attractive anamorphic flare is and what isn't.

If one approaches new stuff with a suspicious mind just do it based on the facts that's all I'd like to see. I remember when SLR Magic brought out the lovely 12mm T1.6, Vitaliy and others tried to dismiss it as a reworked CCTV lens with wide angle converter!

Edwin Lee is next to shoot with the V4 lens, when he posts the footage I will blog about it on the site. Then you we be able to judge the pre-production lens. I shot with the prototype. Big difference.

look at the massive hypergonars nice long focal length distance between optics add a little radioactive material to change the abbe number.

even the baby lens have more distance and if not complex high index doublets your tiny optic included.
glass like lananthanum used by leica long ago.
bk7 type glass is regular standard stuff some of the magic is in the recipes.
some of the glass types are not even made any more.
this is not a problem for companies like cooke who can spend a year playing with modern glass types refining a modern optic with vintage character traits.
compact short barrel wider focal length of anamorphic giving a wider field of view heavier f stop giving many zones of sharp focus,glass type,1.33 compression and lens coatings.
complex stuff even for a budget scope lens a tough nut to crack and a difficult ask to satisfy different market segments.
cannot wait for the letus v slr v century with achromat video

I'm up for that letus vs SLR Magic vs Centry vs LA7200 test!   In reality though (like all things) price does make a difference.  And I really want to get rid of my junky LA7200...

Anamorphic selling on eBay is beyond disgusting now. I've watched items get bought one day, and go up with the same set of pictures on a big lens shop's store two days later for three times the price buy it now. Doesn't it just make your skin crawl?

To top that every giant dual-focus anamorphic projector lens is advertised with the word "Iscorama", which is very dishonest, and the wording appears designed to fool buyers, since there are no returns.